Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Satnav Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink Adding Satnav Power

Mrs B and I have used our satnav on a basic cradle for several years, relying on the internal battery for power. Our TomTom Rider will manage several hours on a full charge, but we got caught out in France last year on longer days out, as it died when we needed it most, close to our destination.

Determined not to let that happen again I recently bought a powered cradle for it and looked for a way to wire it in. Then I had a brainwave! Simply plug it into the back of the headlight. It hardly takes any power, so isn't going to add any extra burden to the wiring, at least with a stock wattage bulb. The most difficult part was persuading the extra wires to go through the rubber grommet into the headlight shell.

Photos show my wiring inside the headlight, which hasn't altered the stock wires in any way, so no wires were harmed or butchered in making the connections! I simply used two blue 'piggy-back' spade connectors attached to the new wires, to which the pink stock connectors are fitted. Click the satnav onto the cradle, turn the ignition on, TomTom wakes up, as if by magic!

We can now set off for long day trips with peace of mind.....

Attached Thumbnails Adding Satnav Power-headlamp_e.jpg   Adding Satnav Power-side-view_e.jpg   Adding Satnav Power-tomtom_e.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 12:19 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Really cool way to wire up a GPS! I'm going to have to remember this for when I end up getting one. How do the spade connectors work and how exactly do they fit to the other connectors? I don't usually mess with wires much so thought I'd ask.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

These are the type of connector I used:

Having fed the two satnav wires into the headlight I crimped one on each wire, disconnected the bike connectors, fitted the new ones in their place, then reconnected the bike connectors to the piggy-back part of the new connectors. The ground wires for the satnav are black, same as the bike, which makes things easy!

Hope that helps!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Good idea, but should also note that the High & Low beam are separate power circuits and you need to pick the one that you typically use. If wired to the low beam +12 wire, you'll loose the external power to the GPS when you switch to the high beam.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

Having fed the two satnav wires into the headlight I crimped one on each wire, disconnected the bike connectors, fitted the new ones in their place, then reconnected the bike connectors to the piggy-back part of the new connectors. The ground wires for the satnav are black, same as the bike, which makes things easy!

Hope that helps!
Thanks that helps a lot! I suppose if I ever do this it will be with the low beam. I only use the high beam to be seen in certain instances and at night.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by cHarley
Good idea, but should also note that the High & Low beam are separate power circuits and you need to pick the one that you typically use. If wired to the low beam +12 wire, you'll loose the external power to the GPS when you switch to the high beam.
If you take a close look at my photo, you will see that I have an HDI bike, with an additional sidelight bulb which is permanently on, which is where I connected my new wires. For other bikes you are quite right. My choice would be to use the low beam circuit, which even when using high beam will still extend the useful life of the satnav, by charging it's battery while on low beam.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

where'd you get these? i got molested at the local napa shop for a few in a pack when i did my oil cooler fan install.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by cvaria
where'd you get these? i got molested at the local napa shop for a few in a pack when i did my oil cooler fan install.
I got two in a bubble pack at my local corner auto store. They weren't cheap, for what they are. I live in the UK so can't be much more helpful than that, sorry!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

your lovering the volt at the bulb and lover volt means less light, just so you nough

regards
RIX

Old 04-12-2016, 11:11 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
your lovering the volt at the bulb and lover volt means less light, just so you nough

regards
RIX
No voltage doesn't work that way. (Electronics 101) The added circuit is in parallel with the bulb, voltage is not affected. If the added circuit was in series with the bulb, then you would get a voltage drop.

Quick Reply: Adding Satnav Power