Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT retro T-Sport Saddlebags on Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Thanks! Need to do some measuring, that's going to be really close....
I suspected as much. Unfortunately the part of the bags that seems most likely to get in your way is the hard backplate.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I suspected as much. Unfortunately the part of the bags that seems most likely to get in your way is the hard backplate.
Agreed, not looking good. Thanks much for your help!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:56 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, a little more hope... here's where I am after measurements...

The measurement across the signal bar is 12". The measurement across the top of the fender where the mounts need to go, taking into account the sissy bar mounts which stick out from the strut 3/4", is 11 1/2".

Surely there must be 1/4" on each side that will be made up just by the mount bolts? The bag can't go completely up against the strut, right?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member

If you go back to post #19 in the link I gave above, you will see my photo of the mounting posts on my bike. They are the minimum length at the rear for the bags to clear things, once mounted. If you add clearance for your sissy bar you may have to move the bags a bit further away from the side of the bike, which brings us to one of Garry's photos, in post #11 of that same link. He shows the left bag with spacers for docking hardware. Ever closer?!

Last edited by grbrown; 04-19-2016 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Correction, in red.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

I do believe this is going to work just fine. Close yes but close is good.

This image, taken before the signals were relocated, shows how the sissy bar mounts to the same points where the bags mount. The sissy bar mounts stick out 3/4" from the strut so once I put the bag mounts on there I'll easily gain the needed extra 1/2". Agree?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Looking again at my post #19, each stock mount is made up of a long 3/8" dia screw, going through two separate spacers. The small diameter spacer carries the bag when installed, so is critical to the success of the installation. The inner larger OD spacer simply provides a shoulder against which the bag mount is located, also positions the bag so it clears other things on the bike.

So to complete your installation, you will need to fit the small spacers, but I suspect you will only need short large OD spacers, to provide the inner shoulder. That would indeed easily give you the extra 1/2" or so you need. I seem to recall that the bags come with a selection of spacers of different lengths and you may find all you need in the kit.

For various reasons already mentioned I ended up making my own inner spacers and didn't keep the remainder of the kit, so can't confirm that. Garry now provides additional spacers, for adjusting the front mount to improve clearance with a wide seat.

Hope that helps, having written while thinking out loud!

The following users liked this post:
WVDevil (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:55 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Looking again at my post #19, each stock mount is made up of a long 3/8" dia screw, going through two separate spacers. The small diameter spacer carries the bag when installed, so is critical to the success of the installation. The inner larger OD spacer simply provides a shoulder against which the bag mount is located, also positions the bag so it clears other things on the bike.

So to complete your installation, you will need to fit the small spacers, but I suspect you will only need short large OD spacers, to provide the inner shoulder. That would indeed easily give you the extra 1/2" or so you need. I seem to recall that the bags come with a selection of spacers of different lengths and you may find all you need in the kit.

For various reasons already mentioned I ended up making my own inner spacers and didn't keep the remainder of the kit, so can't confirm that. Garry now provides additional spacers, for adjusting the front mount to improve clearance with a wide seat.

Hope that helps, having written while thinking out loud!
Helps tremendously! Thanks very much. Your assistance has been invaluable here. Now to shake loose enough money to buy these....

Bet he makes them one-off instead of keeping in stock?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Helps tremendously! Thanks very much. Your assistance has been invaluable here. Now to shake loose enough money to buy these....

Bet he makes them one-off instead of keeping in stock?
My pleasure - it will be great for more than one of us to have a set! I got the impression they make small batches of them, so well worth contacting Garry to see if they have any in stock.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

My pleasure - it will be great for more than one of us to have a set! I got the impression they make small batches of them, so well worth contacting Garry to see if they have any in stock.
Yep, will be doing that.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Yep, will be doing that.
Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: FXDXT retro T-Sport Saddlebags on Sportster?