Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT retro T-Sport Saddlebags on Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:45 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Fingers crossed!
Order in! Approx 2 weeks....

Old 04-19-2016, 03:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Order in! Approx 2 weeks....
We're on 'our' way, great!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Just got back from a week en France, on our two solos, using the Sporty's new bags. Mrs B calls them her 'satchels' for some reason I have yet to work out! They bobble a bit, when riding over rough patches of road, which is to be expected, but have worked remarkably well. We stayed in several hotels, so they have been off and back on the bike repeatedly, emptied and repacked ditto and have worked a treat. Despite not using the expanding zips, we had much more capacity than the previous bags, so we are thrilled with them. When full to capacity we should be able to take enough for a month!

Last edited by grbrown; 04-29-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Still waiting on Garry to finish mine. Getting antsy

Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

They're shipped, should be here in a couple days. Remember any install tips or gotchas?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
They're shipped, should be here in a couple days. Remember any install tips or gotchas?
Two things. One is to check that the front of the bags doesn't press too hard against the sides of your seat. Your kit should come with a range of spacers if you need to space the front mount out a little further than the base spacer. We still have the stock SuperLow seat, which is quite wide at the point where the front corner of the bag sits and wouldn't compress readily to allow the bag to mount properly.

Second is: don't loctite anything (if you decide to) until you are happy you have the spacers 'just so'! Muggins here got over-confident and did so and one nut bound up on the screw, when trying to dismantle. I had to saw through both spacer and screw to get the darned things apart, so I could set the spacer length correct!

Looking forward to seeing your completed build! Any queries I should be here.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-04-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Two things. One is to check that the front of the bags doesn't press too hard against the sides of your seat. Your kit should come with a range of spacers if you need to space the front mount out a little further than the base spacer. We still have the stock SuperLow seat, which is quite wide at the point where the front corner of the bag sits and wouldn't compress readily to allow the bag to mount properly.

Second is: don't loctite anything (if you decide to) until you are happy you have the spacers 'just so'! Muggins here got over-confident and did so and one nut bound up on the screw, when trying to dismantle. I had to saw through both spacer and screw to get the darned things apart, so I could set the spacer length correct!

Looking forward to seeing your completed build! Any queries I should be here.
Thanks Graham! They'll be here tomorrow I believe.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, they're here. Look good as expected. Haven't had time to even think about installing yet, this weekend I hope.

Notice "drilling template" included but don't see any drilling mentioned in the instructions. Know what that is for?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I don't recall that and didn't do any drilling. It may be for earlier bikes, when relocating the indicators? Garry makes mention of that on his website, but your bike and mine have that hole already. You've already relocated yours anyway.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Well, this isn't going to happen this weekend. I had told him that I would need longer bolts due to my sissy bar but that seems to have slipped through the cracks. Got 4 bolts too short to do anything with and 2 that work for the rear but not the front (unless no spacer on front). Expect I'll need more spacers too, there's only 2 of the short ones.

No way I'll find bolts like that in my area on a weekend, the spacers I'll never source locally.

Last edited by WVDevil; 05-07-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: FXDXT retro T-Sport Saddlebags on Sportster?