Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Dyna someday maybe. Zero interest in a huge touring bike. Only issue I have with my Sportster is the top-heaviness.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
morleyz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not for me...but I just bought a Sporty and already have an Ultra Ltd. Totally different uses. Can't beat the Ultra for highway travel and luggage (or making the wife happy). The power is good too, but the bike is so big you don't notice. I really wanted something for cruising around town and love the small bike for that.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

The dealer here recently had a demo week with unlimited test rides on any of the 2016 models. I got to ride every model and I must say that I learned that I will not ever give up my Sportster for another bike.

If I do get another bike I think a Softail Heritage would most likely be my next choice. It has decent stock power and would be even better with pipes and air cleaner upgrade. I liked the fact that it didn't feel too clumsy and bulky like the big touring bikes and fit me well unlike the other bikes. My wife liked the fact that she is still kinda close to me riding 2 up and the better suspension.

I also didnt mind the Fatboy but it tended to lean left on its own and I found myself fighting it while riding. Fatbob was not bad either but I don't think I would get one of these bikes.

I would suggest riding as many other models as you can before you give up your bike for something you may not enjoy as much as your Sportster or not even like at all and regret it.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:38 PM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Yes.

This is my second sportster, to be honest I have had an EVO FXDL and I didn't like its top end speed, it was quite slow compared to the sportster, however.

I have purchased last year a Honda CB1100SF1 X-11 which does all my fast riding, work horse and day to day riding ( we have crap weather 200 days of the year in the UK ). I have a sporster for cruising about, but recently my father died and to cut a long story short I may have to sell his house to pay off his debts which will leave a little bit of money behind, rather than sink it all into my house I may ( if I am forced to sell the house ) buy myself a street bob as I have test ridden one and think it is fast enough to keep me happy, I would love to keep the Sportster, but I don't want three bikes sitting in the garage as the sportster doesn't get used enough as it is.

So my thinking is, if I do sell his house and buy a Street bob, then I will sell the sportster and split the money up and give it to the kids in their account, so they get some money when they are 18.

Otherwise the sportster would be going nowhere, I don't need a bigger Harley as I said I have an X-11 to do the touring with, but if I do own a Street bob then its surplus to needs.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Welcome from NC.

I agree the Sportster is definitely a great ride and can do pretty much what a big twin can do. However, there's just some things a big twin can do better, so I have both.

Last edited by RKZen; 04-17-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-17-2016, 06:09 PM
CrackHeadBob
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"t's other people, the looks, thumbs up, comments... ball washing from passersby, dreamers, etc will be totally unlike the sporty. you can feel it at lights... men stare at you, women stare-look away-stare more, kids press their faces on windows, scream and basically say anything they are thinking, "oooh dad look!" all that crap feels good no body is asking you to upgrade, except the dealer.... they'll ask you to buy a new bike even if you bought on from them 10 minutes ago." cavaria

I get this on my Sporty almost every time I ride. I stopped at a gas station yesterday morning, and ended up talking to a cop for about 15 minutes, because he instantly fell in love with my Iron. Even my 16 year old son loves it, and I traded a sport bike in on my Sporty.

Later!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Do you not mean a "Twin-Cam"?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, i'm at my first bike, and at 5'10 195lbs, my legs gets real numb after an hour and i either hit the bottom of the shocks all the time or get tossed in the air depending on the suspension setting. That made me wish i bought a bigger bike.

I guess i would need a touring seat and a RK suspension but come on, how much will i need to spend before the bike is ridable.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackHeadBob
I get this on my Sporty almost every time I ride. I stopped at a gas station yesterday morning, and ended up talking to a cop for about 15 minutes, because he instantly fell in love with my Iron. Even my 16 year old son loves it, and I traded a sport bike in on my Sporty.

Later!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:29 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, as a second bike. Most likely a S Bob, or a Breakout.

But keeping the Sportster.

Quick Reply: Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?