Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

I'd like to ride a big twin to see what they're like. A friend of mine has a Road King win an 88 engine, I think he'll let me take it for a spin. I'm hoping to go to an HD demo day this summer and ride a Low Rider with a 103. Not that they'd ever let me put a 103 through it's paces.

The Sporty is just so perfect for me. Ever since I got a Mustang Vintage Solo seat, comfort issues are gone. The rear suspension is pretty horrid, but even that isn't noticeable like before. it's such a great bike.

So answer, No. If I ever did get a BT, I would really want to keep my Sporty.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:48 AM
Troops141
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Derf_
Well, i'm at my first bike, and at 5'10 195lbs, my legs gets real numb after an hour and i either hit the bottom of the shocks all the time or get tossed in the air depending on the suspension setting. That made me wish i bought a bigger bike.

I guess i would need a touring seat and a RK suspension but come on, how much will i need to spend before the bike is ridable.
Suspension is ~$60-$130, depending on shock length and that would be about all you'd need. The seat would be an extra comfort and that'll run you $200 or so.. Seems a lot cheaper than $5-6,000 more for a bigger bike...

Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Troops141
Suspension is ~$60-$130, depending on shock length and that would be about all you'd need. The seat would be an extra comfort and that'll run you $200 or so.. Seems a lot cheaper than $5-6,000 more for a bigger bike...
Well maybe i did my research wrong, but i saw the touring seats, mustang or sundowner, at around 350, and air suspension at 400-600. Maybe on ebay its cheaper but i wont install a 15 year old suspension on a 3 year old bike.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep thinking of getting a big twin but after sitting on a few of them I'm a bit deterred. I do a lot of riding and sometimes I'm on the interstate for about 150 to 200 miles. I also like to take the girlfriend for a ride and even though she is about 5'3" my heel will sometimes hit her toes (I have mids). I don't know how a dyna rides in the mountains but as everyone else has said it is not as good as a sportster. Sure with a good rider it can be really good but in comparison I believe most dynas are about 100 lbs heavier. For a little while I started convincing myself I needed a big twin and one of my reasons was power. I don't know why I thought that but I guess I was trying to justify getting a new bike in a year or two because you can mod a sportster to over 100hp and it's not too difficult.

For the 2 or so hours I'm on the interstate I wish I had a big twin but the 5 hours I spend riding in the mountains makes me so happy I have a sportster. I'll be honest though, I still want a big twin but probably as a 2nd bike. I just like the looks or functionality of some of them. I especially like the new low rider s.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rdunnill
No, it has the older Evolution motor.
The Evolution is a big twin, I have one, then some years later the Sporty engine was upgraded along similar lines, such as all alloy. The current twincams are also 'big twins'.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Derf_
Well maybe i did my research wrong, but i saw the touring seats, mustang or sundowner, at around 350, and air suspension at 400-600. Maybe on ebay its cheaper but i wont install a 15 year old suspension on a 3 year old bike.
No, you are right. Cheap shocks will give a cheap ride, so it depends very much on the level of riding comfort we each want. Even air suspension doesn't make the grade IMHO. I have Ohlins suspension on my Glide and plan upgrading my Sporty as well before long.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I went through a few seats - Sundowner (moved me higher and closer which I didn't like), Mustage Fastback (a little too hard), and finally the Mustang Vintage Solo, which I love. I then added the Mustang Vintage Read for the passenger, partly for appearance, and the rare occasion I take a friend for a ride. The seats came out to about $360 and were worth every penny.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I'd like to ride a big twin to see what they're like. A friend of mine has a Road King win an 88 engine, I think he'll let me take it for a spin. I'm hoping to go to an HD demo day this summer and ride a Low Rider with a 103. Not that they'd ever let me put a 103 through it's paces.

The Sporty is just so perfect for me. Ever since I got a Mustang Vintage Solo seat, comfort issues are gone. The rear suspension is pretty horrid, but even that isn't noticeable like before. it's such a great bike.

So answer, No. If I ever did get a BT, I would really want to keep my Sporty.
Take your friends King for a ride if you like BUT dont judge all Big Twins by it. I traded my 2012 Fatboy in for a 14 CVO Road King and as awsome as that bike looked i hated the way it rode. It was fine in a straight line but at slow speeds or jockeying it around it sucked. It also always felt too top heavy always felt awkward and like it wanted to fall sideways. Long story short in the end i just bought a new Fatboy. And it good to have it back. Owning and riding a Softail like the Fatboy will spoil you. You sit low and comfy in the seat instead of on top of the bike, and its super balanced to the point where if your sitting on it for it to go side ways you'd have to push it that way.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If I was to get a big twin it would be to compliment my Sportster not replace it simply because I don't consider it an upgrade, it's a different beast all together. Haven't thought about a big twin until they released the Low Rider S.

Now that I've upgraded the suspension on my XL1200 and have a feel for what it's capable of I'm considering getting an 883.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I've always had a soft spot for the Softail Heritage Classic.

Quick Reply: Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?