Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Sportster 883 widest front and rear tires

Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 AM
iLax
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 Sportster 883 widest front and rear tires

hi folks,

i want to change tires on my 1994 Sportster 883 XLH (deluxe hugger)
i) what is the factory tires dimensions?
ii) whats the max size of tires i can put on the bike (front & rear) if it require modification, what part do i need or how it's done.?

please advise. tnx.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Stock in front 100/90-19, rear 130/90-16. Remember, some tires may be wider than stock even in the stock size. I'm about to put on some Pirelli Night Dragons. I have a 1991 so you should have the same stock tires as me.

I think I'm gonna stay with the stock sizes, due to my X-ring chain being wider than the stock chain. I have heard that the front Night Dragon might be a bit narrower than the stock Dunlop, but I'm really not sure. Still doing my homework before dropping $$$ on new tires.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-18-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by iLax
hi folks,

i want to change tires on my 1994 Sportster 883 XLH (deluxe hugger)
i) what is the factory tires dimensions?
ii) whats the max size of tires i can put on the bike (front & rear) if it require modification, what part do i need or how it's done.?

please advise. tnx.
John Harper is right about OEM tire size. As far as rim width, 2.50" front and 3.00"rim size comes to mind but I can't remember. Do you have the stock wheels? Cast or spoke? I'll look in my service manual (I have the '93/'94 manual) to confirm tonight.

Dennis Kirk has some pretty good general tire info and size charts. You definitely don't want to oversize it. I think a 130 is the largest width you could get away with on the front and 140 on the back, but that's a judgement call.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:12 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Here's a shot of the page from the FSM.

According to what I've readd, a 120 would be the largest tire on a 2.15" rim and a 130 on a 2.50" rim and a 150 on a 3.00" rim. Also, don't go below a XXX/90 ratio.

Use your judgement and consider the source when using this information. Many of the tire manufacturers offer sizing charts/info.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM
fastman614
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how you did with tire for your Sportie...I have done a few rear 150 tires on Sporties & a few 2003/earlier dnas that were oem equipped with 130s.....it is all doable - but often requires several "small" modifications.

Over the years, as non oem tires became readily available, I questioned the various manufacturers about rim fitment and wider (specifically 150 wide) tires. Dunlop provided me with some information on the H-D D401 & D402 tires.....they are fine on a 3.00 wide rim and this IS what Harley uses for rim width with those specific tires. Now - since D404 tires came out, officially, Dunlop's info says for use on a 3.5 to 4.0 inch wide rim. I had seen them fitted to 3.00 wide rims - and when one came to me for some other work, I was a bit concerned....Dunlop stated that the tires will work fine on the 3.00 wide rim. dimensionally, when fitted, seated and properly inflated, they have very similar dimensions to the D401 - both in width and overall height. In a roundabout way, I was informed by Dunlop that the tires are all very similar in construction - thus the similar dimensions. I would say that you need not be overly worried about the tire fitment to 3.00 wide rims on the rear.

In regards to the front, I purchased some aftermarket 9" wide 39mm triple trees for use in fitting a wider rim to the front. There are kits available on ebay (etc...) that contain pretty well everything to convert a stock width 39mm front end to a "wide-glide" front end. The width, though, is the same as a Fatboy/Heritage front end...when fitting a wider tire, different wheel spacers need to be used and the kit supplied disc spacer is not to be used....You will also need a custom, wider, front fender. You probably will also not be happy with the look of the stock "top eyebrow" headlight mount and gauge mount setup with the new custom look. So - LOTS to consider!....You could try and find if a slightly wider tire (say - 425 inch or 120mm) is available and will work okay on a 2.15 wide rim...

Now, tires and their fitment is really the least of your problems when fitting wider tires to a PRE 2004 Sportie... There is an clearance issue under the rear fender with fender/strut bolt heads being too close for comfort and possible interference. There are low head Allen bolts, button head Allen bolts (and some people have used carriage bolts) for replacement options to widen the space between the bolt heads). The chain on a PRE 1993 model may & probably will clear the sidewall but the belt drive models usually DO NOT clear...if the belt clears at all, it is not enough clearance for comfort. The rear sprocket generally has to be spaced out by about 3/8". The widths of the belt pulleys will just accommodate that much spacing and be borderline misaligned in the opposite direction of the oem (borderline mis)alignment. You have no room due to the fender strut bolt clearance. Offsetting the wheels one way may possibly be an option - which is not as stupid as it first sounds...it is not widely advertised (but it is no secret) that the Heritage & Fatboy softails have their wheels offset - by, if I recall correctly, about 5mm. (I do not know anything about the engineering behind this). You could change out the belt drive to a chain drive and eliminate the clearance issue...There is at least one discount seller on the internet where the total price of two sprockets and a Diamond chain is about the cost of a new belt supplied by the same seller. I can't vouch for who the manufacturer of the wheel sprocket is made by but the countershaft sprocket IS PBI.

Suffice it to say, though, it can all be done but it will take time and a few tries if you DIY ...or will cost money if you take it to a shop.

Have fun & Ride Safely!