Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me sportster maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

That 401 tread pattern has been around for a really long time and personally I'd get almost anything not made in China over those. I'm running Avons, and they feel much better than 401's to me. Folks on this forum have said the same about Michellin Commanders, Pirellis, Metzlers, and even Korean? Shrinkos. Dunlops do last longer than most, and if I had to ride on a 10 year old tire, I'd just as soon it was a Dunlop, they're tough at least, and known for getting high mileage, but I like tires with the best stickiness for cornering and stopping over high mileage, and you probably won't get a tire that's best at both. Most sportsters' tires get old before they get worn out, anyway, relatively few riders put high mileage on sportsters. Look at the tread photos on other brands, and you might notice they'd look at home on sportbikes - and those all about handling.

You can get some good deals on tires on line, that's how I get all mine, but if you're not changing them yourself (I do, have a tire changer), make sure the shop you want to use will change tires you get elsewhere, not all will. You should have metal valve stems, but they have rubber seals that can shrink and crack, too. Won't blow out, but can leak eventually. I don't use the all rubber stems, ever, have actually seen one break off that was on an 11 year old bike, probably original.

If you can get the axles out without hammering, I'd pop a seal off each bearing to check for contamination and to be sure they're adequately greased - some guys have reported very little grease in their bearings when they checked (I suspect this is the primary reason so many early wheel bearing failures are reported on this forum), and I've found several new bearings with what I'd call very inadequate grease. Use a tiny screwdriver carefully, inserting at the inner race side, and they come up easy; just push them back down with a finger. I've pulled many (hundreds) and never damaged one, as long as they're plastic and not metal. If the axles are really seized up in the bearings or spacers and have to be pounded out, replace the bearings, the ***** can dimple the races with that kind of shock. At 6000 miles, with good grease, the bearings should be fine.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM
cbs_24
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What model Avon's do you have Imold?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I went with the standard Dunlop D401's when I got mine last year. next time around I might go with the Dunlop American Elites, or Michelin Commander II's. These newer tires have a tread compound that boasts higher tread life.

I've never had an issue with the original Dunlops, but like said, it's a pretty old design, and I'm all for trying some new tech.

You can get tires pretty reasonably priced online, it's install that can get you. Some HD dealers in my area won't install tires unless you buy from them. Others will let you bring your own tires, but it is definitely more labor than a car tire, so expect to pay for that.

Some people will take their wheels off the bike and bring them to the shop with the new tires. I might try that next time to save a few bucks.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM
cbs_24
Cruiser

How does the Metzler ME888 compare to Avon and Commander II?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by cbs_24
What model Avon's do you have Imold?
Venoms on my 883 and Cobras on the 1200. They feel the same. Cobras are replacing Venoms on the Avon lineup, a newer model.

Originally Posted by cbs_24
How does the Metzler ME888 compare to Avon and Commander II?
Comments I've read sound like the 888's are a harder tire, more mileage, less sticky, but I haven't tried them myself. Put a tire model in the "Search" box above the posts on this page, and it will list posts where that model's been mentioned. See what folks that have tried them think.

By the way, my not liking the old design Dunlop 401/402 tires isn't a knock for Dunlop in general; their newer design American Elites get good reviews and I wouldn't be worried about giving them a try if I had to switch brands. Not all brands make all sizes for all Harleys, either, sometimes you can't get a specific model in the right size - that's why I switched from Venom to Cobra with the Avons.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 PM
cbs_24
Cruiser

Alright, you convinced me...Just bought the Cobra white walls.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

That will look good on your bike. I'll be interested to hear how you like them because I'm thinking of that or something like it when its time to change mine.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:14 PM
cbs_24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tlaw
That will look good on your bike. I'll be interested to hear how you like them because I'm thinking of that or something like it when its time to change mine.
Thanks. I'm excited to get them on there. Unfortunately they won't be here before I leave for Alaska for a month, so it will be a while before I get them on.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Just a thought: The hardness of tires does increase with age. However the danger of that is highly exaggerated. It is just a parroted internet myth without anyone actually having any experience with it. I have run many bikes and sports cars with 10 or more year old tires with out a single issue. In rain one rides with caution anyway unless their an idiot. The same with trying to take a sweeper like your are Rossi.

If they are not cut, cracked with dry rot run them. Lance Armstrong had bicycle tires stored for years in a damp French basement to get them harder as they did not flat as readily as new tires. And he rode down mountains at speed in the mountains in the rain many times.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-22-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

My 8 yrs old Dunlops had noticeable dry rot cracks.

Quick Reply: new to me sportster maintenance