Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting tired of people telling me my 883 is a girls bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Enjoy what you have. Most of it is in fun, kind of.
Good to see all the Sporty people come to the defense, perhaps a support group is in order, you could talk about your feelings and how all those bad men on big motorcycles say mean things.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, here's the story on the KR...http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19766/lot/340/

Let somebody tell ya that's a girls' bike!

1960 Harley-Davidson 750cc KR Racing Motorcycle
Frame no. 60KR2027
Engine no. 60KR2027
Introduced in 1952, the 45ci (750cc) Model K was Harley's final 'flat head'. Almost a complete break with the past, the K adopted ideas from Europe: unitary construction of engine/transmission, swinging-arm rear suspension, foot operated gear change and hand clutch, but despite better handling than its similar-sized predecessor, proved little faster. Not so the racing KR that it inspired. Harley-Davidson had not won the prestigious Daytona Beach race since WW2, so the KR's winning debut there in 1953 was greeted with intense relief back in Milwaukee. BSA struck back the following year but for the next seven events it would be a Harley in the winner's circle. In 1953, five AMA Class C flat track national events were won, and in 1954 KR racers won 13 of 18 races. On flat tracks the KR raced with a rigid rear end, retaining the roadster's swinging arm for circuit races such as the Daytona 200. Enlarged to 54ci (883cc) as the KH, the Model K street bike continued in the line up until the end of 1956; the racer though, ran on successfully well into the 1960s; indeed, its final Daytona victory in 1969 was the KR's 12th at the Florida track. That year a KRTT achieved an astonishing 149mph during qualifying.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:55 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Heck just stop buying Sportsters that were formally owned by girls. LOL

Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 AM
CrackHeadBob
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Every Monday night, we have a bike night at a local restaurant. Afterward, I went on a cruise with four other guys, all on big twins. (One RK, one EG, one tricked out Softail, and maybe an Ultra Classic.) When we stopped for gas, all four of them were standing around my Sporty (09 Iron), asking questions and saying how sweet it looked and sounded.

I just got it in December, and because of credit issues, the GM at the dealer suggested I buy the used Sporty, get my credit right over a year, then trade it (at the price I paid for it...) on a big twin. I considered that, and have decided to start doing upgrades on my Sporty and keep it instead. I get so many compliments on my Sporty, even from Harley guys. It has honestly blown me away. In doing the math, I can make my Sporty exactly what I want it to be for about five grand. To buy a big twin, I'm looking at 15 or more. Plus, I get to keep my Evo motor, which is completely bullet proof, and easier/cheaper to maintain and work on when needed.

The one thing that might make me move to the big twin is if I started more highway riding. So far, I'm on two lanes with twisties 98% of the time. My Sporty is absolutely perfect for that. If I start riding on the highways more, sixth gear will be helpful. But, I'll likely keep my Sporty forever anyway now. It's too awesome not to.

Later!

The following users liked this post:
tlaw (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

First, it's a joke to annoy you, obviously it worked.
Second, it's because it's a smaller light in weight bike. And large fat asses like myself look funny on one.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I've only heard those comments on these Internet forums.

Honestly, I'm a new rider and not yet a skilled rider. I know many women who kick my a$$ in riding skills and style. In my opinion it would be a worse offense to be called a tlaw bike than a girl's and would be glad to ride with any one of them and learn from their skills.

And yeah I've had some, what I consider serious, Harley riders in real life (not Internet) look over my bike with really decent complements I wasn't expecting because of what I've read out here. One guy took it for a ride and came back praising it. These are guys who love riding and working on their Harleys. I don't think they've ever been in one of these forums. Instead of talking down my bike we were talking about different mods I'd like to do with them offering up help whenever I'm ready to do some. Even then, I'd still love my bike if they had talked trash about it but I admit, I enjoyed the validation when they were throwing out complements.

I've learned to laugh with those who might make the comment as a friendly joke and to laugh at the ones who say it thinking it's true.

Last edited by tlaw; 04-29-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackHeadBob
To buy a big twin, I'm looking at 15 or more.
that's not true at all.... well maybe if you are simple and eat/sniff glue. you could have bought a street bob for probably less than you paid for your iron.

Plus, I get to keep my Evo motor, which is completely bullet proof, and easier/cheaper to maintain and work on when needed.
not completely but, it would seem that way next to the f'd up twin cams that hd continues to sell knowing full well it has issues that could easily be fixed and others that need attention.

But, I'll likely keep my Sporty forever anyway now. It's too awesome not to.
Good man!

Last edited by cvaria; 04-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Every Monday night, we have a bike night at a local restaurant. Afterward, I went on a cruise with four other guys, all on big twins. (One RK, one EG, one tricked out Softail, and maybe an Ultra Classic.) When we stopped for gas, all four of them were standing around my Sporty (09 Iron), asking questions and saying how sweet it looked and sounded.

I just got it in December, and because of credit issues, the GM at the dealer suggested I buy the used Sporty, get my credit right over a year, then trade it (at the price I paid for it...) on a big twin. I considered that, and have decided to start doing upgrades on my Sporty and keep it instead. I get so many compliments on my Sporty, even from Harley guys. It has honestly blown me away. In doing the math, I can make my Sporty exactly what I want it to be for about five grand. To buy a big twin, I'm looking at 15 or more. Plus, I get to keep my Evo motor, which is completely bullet proof, and easier/cheaper to maintain and work on when needed.

The one thing that might make me move to the big twin is if I started more highway riding. So far, I'm on two lanes with twisties 98% of the time. My Sporty is absolutely perfect for that. If I start riding on the highways more, sixth gear will be helpful. But, I'll likely keep my Sporty forever anyway now. It's too awesome not to.

Later!
Take Note - all you overly sensitive Sporty Guys.
This MAN, understands what he has, likes it, is living within his budget, and life goes on. It works for him and that is what matters, if he chooses a different style of riding he'll change to a more suitable bike.
Don't sound like CrackHead logic to me. Wish you well.

The following 3 users liked this post by TSheff:
CrackHeadBob (04-29-2016), misterd1954 (06-04-2021), tlaw (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Anyone getting tired of low self esteem guys complaining about what others tell about them or what they ride...

Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it's more about wanting to commiserate with like-minded (like-rided?) people who might hear the same things than anything about self-esteem. I've never been bothered by girl's bike comments. I think that whole concept is ridiculous but I'm sure there are any number of other things that can get me going that I like to sound off about every now and then. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with self-esteem or if on that particular day I'm just easily annoyed.

Quick Reply: Getting tired of people telling me my 883 is a girls bike