Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RearWheel and Lower Fork Slider Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
i'd say no. just the seals (14) and crush washers (17)
but, i'm an idiot

Thanks for the clarification/parts identification....I am more of an idiot since I was going to ask "what crush washer" lol. Thanks

Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks, very helpful....and more convincing to get a pro to do it. Sound like a do-able job, but need to buy the top cap socket and the plunger thingy to get the seal down seated firmly.

maybe a stupid question, but can you change the lower sliders without removing the entire slider and tube
My fork seal driver splits into two halves, permitting the devise to be used while fork tubes remain in the triple clamps. However, I find it easier to remove the fork tubes (after the damper screw has been removed from the bottom of the lowers, as previously mentioned). I bet you have a bunch of hardware on your tubes for the fairing, which, I do not.
The cap-nut socket and fork seal driver, with a plastic adapter for the lower top-caps, cost me about a hundred bucks. I've done multiple sets of Sportster forks, and the cap-nut socket fits the Big Twins I wrench on, so the tool expense isn't a big deal. Also, I believe that if you want something done right...

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
My fork seal driver splits into two halves, permitting the devise to be used while fork tubes remain in the triple clamps. However, I find it easier to remove the fork tubes (after the damper screw has been removed from the bottom of the lowers, as previously mentioned). I bet you have a bunch of hardware on your tubes for the fairing, which, I do not.
The cap-nut socket and fork seal driver, with a plastic adapter for the lower top-caps, cost me about a hundred bucks. I've done multiple sets of Sportster forks, and the cap-nut socket fits the Big Twins I wrench on, so the tool expense isn't a big deal. Also, I believe that if you want something done right...
Thanks...from what I have seen, most remove the fork tubes. Never thought about all the other stuff on the fork. I will probably remove everything i.e. fairings/hardware, saddlebags, etc just to minimize the time they need to spend on the bike (and time is money). I will do the fork the next time around when I am more prepared.

Thanks all for the input. I will probably ask again the next time around..lol