Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RearWheel and Lower Fork Slider Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default RearWheel and Lower Fork Slider Swap

I plan to change out my stock rear wheel to match my front and replace my ugly lower fork sliders ti new HD chrome ones.

I was planning to do it myself, but having second thoughts...don't want to be out of commission if dont have special tools or it is too difficult.

Any links to how to thread or videos?

Do you need a special tool to remove/re-install the axle or any related parts?

Do you need to remove the entire sliders (upper and lower) to change out the lower....if entire, did you need to remove the handlebar to access the top fork cap?

Any input is appreciated.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

This thread, may address some of your questions:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...05-sporty.html

Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
This thread, may address some of your questions:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...05-sporty.html

Thanks, very helpful....and more convincing to get a pro to do it. Sound like a do-able job, but need to buy the top cap socket and the plunger thingy to get the seal down seated firmly.

maybe a stupid question, but can you change the lower sliders without removing the entire slider and tube

Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks, very helpful....and more convincing to get a pro to do it. Sound like a do-able job, but need to buy the top cap socket and the plunger thingy to get the seal down seated firmly.

maybe a stupid question, but can you change the lower sliders without removing the entire slider and tube
if your aren't comfy with it, don't do it..... but is this not why you brought the lift?! is it not?!

burn the boats!

no such thing as a stupid question. i'm going to say no unless you have a secret way to tap in seals through the trees. forks legs must come out. but... i'm often wrong

loosen bottom bolt while forks legs are in trees. save yourself a world of hurt.

it's a stupid easy job. see my sig for a step by step of the fork break down. special tools:

a: Motion Pro Fork Nut Socket 08-0139
Amazon.com: Motion Pro Fork Nut Socket 08-0139: Automotive Amazon.com: Motion Pro Fork Nut Socket 08-0139: Automotive

b:Hex Long Bit Socket... will get back to you on size. i managed to not capture it in any pictures.

c: Dane M's PVC tool 39mm... 1 1/2"
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l-tapping.html

d: fork oil of choice.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:16 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks....I viewed some videos before I decided to replace my lower sliders. I also have a service manual. Appears easy enough, so it is a matter of if I am ambitious enough. I hate it when I just want to ride but can't because the bike is apart....and I am meticulous so I work very slow. Need to take the bike to the shopr anyway to install a wheel liner, tube, and tire on my new wheel so will probably have them do it the same time.

I got a jack mainly to be able to get the bike off the ground without placing most of the weight on the kickstand.

Thanks for the help

Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your new chrome sliders will probably need new bushings and seals to be installed, it is also wise to install new bushings on the tubes. Your manual will show what that involves, so you can decide how to go about it.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Your new chrome sliders will probably need new bushings and seals to be installed, it is also wise to install new bushings on the tubes. Your manual will show what that involves, so you can decide how to go about it.
BOOM!

in my sig. seems complicated but, it's not. and you really can't f it up unless you want to. going slow is good. let f'ups. less consternation. there must be a digging in of feet!

.... burn the boats no retreat. we can walk you through it.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Thanks grbrown and cvaria. Another darn expense....49378-09. Do I need to replace if I already had it done about 1000 miles ago.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks grbrown and cvaria. Another darn expense....49378-09. Do I need to replace if I already had it done about 1000 miles ago.
i'd say no. just the seals and crush washer

Old 04-28-2016, 10:50 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

i'd say no. just the seals (14) and crush washers (17)
but, i'm an idiot

Quick Reply: RearWheel and Lower Fork Slider Swap