Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:43 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Rider Update

Hi All - just wanted to update you on my experience learning to ride at 63. Since day 3 when I broke my ankle, I have tried to ride every day. I guess I dropped the bike four or five times mostly by stopping on a sloping curb. I now only stop when the ground is level!.

I've ridden about 800 miles over 2.5 months and have finally reached a milestone. I had my first truly enjoyable ride today. No fear, just fun. Not sure what triggered it, but for the first time, and really had no anxiety and even rode on a parkway i'd been reluctant to try. Got up to 55 and was ok, which means riding the slabs is doable, although 70 mph is still a long way off I think.

Having my ankle totally heal has really helped. I'd been favoring my right foot and leg much more than I realized and getting a pair of really good riding boots with a one inch heel has given me some much needed stability when stopped.

Beyond that, I've gotten to the point where i'm pretty comfortable countersteering and can make the curves at the speed of traffic.

Getting to this point has been tough, but I've definitely reached a new stage of development as a rider. I'm firmly in that stage where I have just enough confidence and skill to hurt myself But its a blast!!

Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Good job! I'm 66 and I'm having a blast after about 8 months back in the saddle after 40+ years.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds great. I haven't reached that point yet. I'm hoping the 'click' happens soon.

Glad your ankle is feeling better.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Very good! Next up: rolling burnout while doing a wheelie!

Old 05-03-2016, 05:08 PM
johnnybmore
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the progress! There were a number of guys in their sixties in my riding class either just learning or getting back into the saddle after decades when I took it. I respect the ambition

Old 05-03-2016, 05:12 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

CAUTION: THROTTLE THERAPY IS ADDICTIVE!

Just so you can't say anyone didn't warn ya!

Enjoy, have fun and be SAFE!

Old 05-03-2016, 05:13 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

It's great to hear you're getting your confidence up. I also started later in life as well and things clicked after about 20 miles when I got my Sporty.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:51 PM
DCrider132
Advanced

You know its not often mentioned in the literature, but I really think 40 years of driving have helped me enormously in anticipating problems and maintaining a way out of trouble. The trouble spots are mostly the same, only the price of a mistake is different.

Also, as long as i'm here, I have another question: is it possible to push start a bike should the battery fail?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM
DCrider132
Advanced

One thing that helped me a lot was 40 years of driving and the instincts I developed for anticipating and avoiding trouble. I mean, traffic is traffic whatever your driving. The only real difference is the price paid for a mistake. I believe good drivers are more likely to be good riders all other things being equal. I would bet that if there are age breakdowns of motorcycle accidents, far more would be among those under 25 than over 50 and while some of that is maturity level, a lot of it may well be driving experience.

On another subject, does anyone know whether it is possible to push start a Sportster should the battery die when i'm at the top of a hill, or have someone standing by and ready to push??

Old 05-03-2016, 09:37 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

glad the ankle is healed. I always lower my bikes an use a flat low profile seat. If you decide you like riding you may like a softail better since they are the lowest sitting bike HD makes. They are well balanced too.

Quick Reply: New Rider Update