Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter relay click- help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 PM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter relay click- help

1984 sportster xlh. My buddy laid my bike down barely on its right side. It stayed running, no physical damage seen, but when he shut it off and we picked the bike up and made sure everything was OK the relay under the seat would just click when we pushed the ignition. After a few tries it started and we got it home and its doing the same thing. The turn signals on the right side arnt working and the headlight is dimming down and back up. I've traced all the wiring, can't find none pinched or damaged. Could this be a damaged relay? I'm headed to get one tomorrow but just wanted some insight. Can't figure out turn signal problem. I've checked the bulbs and wiring.

Last edited by dstull2207@gmail.com; 05-06-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: To make things clear
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

First thing I'd check based on your story is the battery itself.

Clicking sounds when trying to start the bike is a classic dead-battery symptom. Yours may be on the edge, because it occasionally starts now. The dimming headlight is another tell.

The tip-over may or may not be related to this no-start situation. If it truly was a trivial tip over, I don't think there is any reason for the starter to suddenly crap out at exactly the same time--I'd bet that the tip over has nothing to do with the non-start.

The right-side signals not working could be tip-over related, but I'd check them again after verifying the battery's condition before chasing anything else on those for now.

Get out your charger and voltmeter--charge the battery and then check the voltage at rest, idle, and revving up. If it's not at least 12.5v dc at rest after a full charge, that's an issue. At idle it should be more than at rest, and when revving, it should climb convincingly past 13 volts, perhaps to 14 or better, depending on all your particular variables. And, the headlight should get a little bit brighter as you rev from idle if your charging system is working properly.

All the best,

Shane

Old 05-07-2016, 06:25 AM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear
Default Selenoid

Originally Posted by Shanebo
First thing I'd check based on your story is the battery itself.

Clicking sounds when trying to start the bike is a classic dead-battery symptom. Yours may be on the edge, because it occasionally starts now. The dimming headlight is another tell.

The tip-over may or may not be related to this no-start situation. If it truly was a trivial tip over, I don't think there is any reason for the starter to suddenly crap out at exactly the same time--I'd bet that the tip over has nothing to do with the non-start.

The right-side signals not working could be tip-over related, but I'd check them again after verifying the battery's condition before chasing anything else on those for now.

Get out your charger and voltmeter--charge the battery and then check the voltage at rest, idle, and revving up. If it's not at least 12.5v dc at rest after a full charge, that's an issue. At idle it should be more than at rest, and when revving, it should climb convincingly past 13 volts, perhaps to 14 or better, depending on all your particular variables. And, the headlight should get a little bit brighter as you rev from idle if your charging system is working properly.

All the best,

Shane
Thank you. I did check the battery and it tested OK. When I turn the ignition on the starter selenoid is clicking without me touching anything. Then when I attempt to start there's nothing but a click after numerous attempts it finally starts.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you. I did check the battery and it tested OK. I just bought my battery. When I turn the ignition on the starter relay is clicking without me touching anything. Then when I attempt to start there's nothing after numerous attempts it finally starts. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Usually when this happens, it's the connection to the battery. Maybe the bump moves the bolted connection when it tugs on the wire. There have been 3 identical post to this in the last few months. One was the ground. The other two after dozens of people trying to help just never said what it was. You sure it's the starter solenoid clicking or is it the smaller start switch solenoid. That would tell you what is broken. If something is clicking, a switch is shorted I would think.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 AM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear
Default New relay-still clicking

I bought a new relay and upon turning the key on its still clicking.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 AM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts

Perhaps you should check the start button.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:33 AM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Usually when this happens, it's the connection to the battery. Maybe the bump moves the bolted connection when it tugs on the wire. There have been 3 identical post to this in the last few months. One was the ground. The other two after dozens of people trying to help just never said what it was. You sure it's the starter solenoid clicking or is it the smaller start switch solenoid. That would tell you what is broken. If something is clicking, a switch is shorted I would think.
Yes I called my buddy at the bike shop to verify. Its the starter relay clicking. Its a black box under the seat with 5 prongs coming out of it. I felt it to make sure that's where the clicking was coming from and it is. I bought a new relay and its doing the same thing.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd bet the right side throttle/control slipped either "out" on the bar or "rotated" on the bar tearing the wiring going to the control, when I went down on the right side it slid the control out about one inch on the bar and I had to remove the control and splice new wires to it. Everything your describing has wiring in the right side control, open it up and have a look there next.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:00 PM
dstull2207@gmail.com
4th Gear
Default Brake lights not working either

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I'd bet the right side throttle/control slipped either "out" on the bar or "rotated" on the bar tearing the wiring going to the control, when I went down on the right side it slid the control out about one inch on the bar and I had to remove the control and splice new wires to it. Everything your describing has wiring in the right side control, open it up and have a look there next.
Yes after further examination neither brake light is working either.

Quick Reply: Starter relay click- help