Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 883 Progression/Retrogression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

nice work so far.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19Sparrow87
That blue is awesome. I wish I knew how to powdercoat because my tank and fender would be painted by now. Well, them and a bunch of other parts lmao. Hope the new speed sensor fixes your issue hoss.
Thanks man, the speed sensor though...

So I removed battery tray, and the other 3 covers around it...I removed the chrome oil pan shield...after dicking around with the speed sensor screw for days, off an on... I finally got it off with a pair of needle nose pliers turning it a 1/16th of a turn at a time. Left it that way until the sensor came in... Went fishing for three days and returned to parts in the mail.

Decided it was time to put new oil in it... it didn't need it, but I wasn't going to get to that screw to tighten it back down with the new speed sensor if I wasn't able to move oil lines...

So...new clamps on existing oil lines, powdercoated some more chrome, new speed sensor on... maiden voyage around the block and THE SPEEDOMETER WORKS. Nice!!

Rode the bike to a car meet a couple miles away the next morning and it started popping when giving throttle...bad...then it died at a stop light... hahaha, I love you motorcycle. Kept cranking fine, just wouldn't turn over. Pulled the spark plug wires off and there was no spark from the wire to the plug. Nice... towed it home.

After a few hours in a cool garage it started right up.
New Coil ordered... we'll try again on Wednesday. lol

Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 AM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's not one thing it's another right? I'm waiting on parts now for the new bars and I'm just waiting for the headache of extending wires to begin. Should get a DK coil relocation kit since you'll have the old ones off, two birds one stone kind of thing.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

If it's not one thing it's another right? I'm waiting on parts now for the new bars and I'm just waiting for the headache of extending wires to begin. Should get a DK coil relocation kit since you'll have the old ones off, two birds one stone kind of thing.
I was fortunate enough that when doing drag bars (replacing bars at all for the first time) that I didn't have to extend wiring. I would like to pull everything out of the headlight though so I can mount a led light. I see myself needing to rewire stuff at that point because there's 3-4 harnesses in there currently.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer

Maybe just a little bit. I'm saving up and ordering the modular kit and bullet light from DK. Also going to order up their LED bulb along with so I can just switch everything out at once.

The following users liked this post:
Lawson_Inc (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

It's looking great! I have a dumb question. I have a Dyna, but was thinking about picking up an old Sportster like this to work on for learning to wrench, messing with a carb, etc. Can these older 883's be bumped to 1200 relatively easy (like via a kit)? I apologize for hijacking

Old 06-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twospot
It's looking great! I have a dumb question. I have a Dyna, but was thinking about picking up an old Sportster like this to work on for learning to wrench, messing with a carb, etc. Can these older 883's be bumped to 1200 relatively easy (like via a kit)? I apologize for hijacking
you're good, that's my plan, do the cosmetic stuff now and do the 1200 kit with cams or something this winter. From what I've read the complete kits are pretty easy to do at home with normal tools, then just a tune from that point.

Maybe just a little bit. I'm saving up and ordering the modular kit and bullet light from DK. Also going to order up their LED bulb along with so I can just switch everything out at once.
you should probably get comped some parts from DK, you're doing good marketing. lol. This being my first Harley I was unaware of DK and all the kits, thank you man!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lawson_Inc
you should probably get comped some parts from DK, you're doing good marketing. lol. This being my first Harley I was unaware of DK and all the kits, thank you man!
They'll be making money off of me this winter for sure lmao. They also have the 1200 upgrade kit you're thinking about getting. Mine already had it when I got it or that would have been more money to DK

Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawson_Inc
you're good, that's my plan, do the cosmetic stuff now and do the 1200 kit with cams or something this winter. From what I've read the complete kits are pretty easy to do at home with normal tools, then just a tune from that point.
Cool man. Subscribed. I'd like keep up on your progress

Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Well...it wasn't the coil. Damnit...more reading to do I guess.

Quick Reply: '95 883 Progression/Retrogression Thread