Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 883 Progression/Retrogression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 883 Progression/Retrogression Thread

2nd post maybe...new to HD, picked up an 883 to dick around with. Having a good time learning things so far. First week of ownership pics...

Day 1

2nd week of ownership pics...

Powdercoated fenders, painted tank... then powdercoated some more stuff to start blacking out more stuff like 89% of every bike on the road ever.

Found out having a dealer do an oil change and primary fluid change isn't always the best idea...

Had oil changed and primary fluid changed at dealer...parked the bike afterwards and went out of state for four days, returned to this... dealer quoted $170 at minimum to fix... I fixed for $10 at O'Reillys

three weeks go by and I remove this cover...this fluid was supposed to be changed out 3 weeks ago...

Harley refunded my money for the oil and primary change completely and sent me home with a couple o-rings and a couple quarts of transmission fluid for free.

That brings us to today...

Last edited by Lawson_Inc; 05-13-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Cammed
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bike looks great! I really dig that color scheme.

The following users liked this post:
Lawson_Inc (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow so did they forget to change the primary/transfer fluid? Good to hear you got your money back! Bike looks nice!

Lawson_Inc (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Is that trans oil or a curry sauce?! Apart from that, things are looking good.

Lawson_Inc (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nick 93
Wow so did they forget to change the primary/transfer fluid? Good to hear you got your money back! Bike looks nice!
I'm thinking, and per the faces at the dealership after showing them the pics I feel it was confirmed that they never did it to begin with.

Pretty shitty situation for me as it's the closest dealership to me...oh well...there's two or three others around here.

Thanks for the kind words

Old 05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Went riding for a few hours yesterday, during the last fill up before heading home the speedometer just quit...lights behind it still work, odometer still works...just no needle movement. Trying to search to see what aftermarket options are available and if digital is an option with the 1995. Any advice is appreciated. Looking to relocate as well since I'll be dicking around with stuff.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Don't know what is going on, typed a long post about diagnosing my speed sensor...posted it... and it's gone. Mods? Couldn't find a thread on how long your posts need approval by mods before you can post by yourself... ? Any help?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

Through Process of elimination I'm hoping I diagnosed a faulty speed sensor correctly. Still hoping as it's to arrive tomorrow by mail but it's taken me a few solid hours to get the fecking bolt off the sensor to remove it. To avoid throwing wrenches in small fits of rage I spaced my speed sensor work out by powdercoating more stuff and installing the drop plates. Once started on the drop plates I realized some of the hardware wasn't going to work once the belt shield was put back on...quick trip to Ace Hardware #sponsoringharleybuildswithnutsandboltsforever and hopefully I grabbed the right hardware...time will tell.

Followed instructions...thought some...ordered speed sensor

forecast said it was supposed to rain all week and through the weekend... started tearing stuff down to see clear day after clear day after clear day....

Starting with the chrome base

transparent blue front

transparent blue rear

old bracket

drop plate

add the belt shield to this and you get contact

ran to Ace Hardware to get new nuts and bolts

Finally got the speed sensor out...it was full of metal shavings...cool... waiting on new one to get here tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Lawson_Inc
Advanced

also powdercoated oil tank cover, battery holder, belt shield, and whatever else was in my way.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That blue is awesome. I wish I knew how to powdercoat because my tank and fender would be painted by now. Well, them and a bunch of other parts lmao. Hope the new speed sensor fixes your issue hoss.

Quick Reply: '95 883 Progression/Retrogression Thread