Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:20 AM
8BallCustomz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light question

OK so I have been doing some research and staring at the wiring diagram between my 883l and a 883 iron. My questionumber is I want to delete the rear center brake light of the fender and have just the 2 bullet lights like an iron had. Going to chop my fender and do some other odds and ends. How would I go about doing the wiring on this?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Kyfatboy05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=8BallCustomz; I did the same thing not long ago with a "tailbones" unit. Plug and play if your harness has the 8-pin plug for the rear end. If not I used a Kury 8-pin adapter to make the conversion. Biketronics is the company and customer support is top notch

Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

The Harley run/turn/stop kit works very well.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:06 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I just did as hotlap suggested. I got rid of my brake light bought the module and have my bullets running run brake and turn. Your only other alternative would be to buy double filament turn signals then all three could be directly wired. I found the module to be the cheaper option

Old 05-20-2016, 07:13 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

I guess to expand on this a bit. In your tail light (assuming it's wired the same as my 2006) you can just throw out the circuit board. You will have a ground wire right and left turn wire a brake wire and two running light wires. One of the running light wires is for foreign models. Just direct wire each turn signal wire to the appropriate side zip tie the rest up and hide them out of the way. Install module and good to go.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:03 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the repair manual, it has all the wiring diagrams you need. Instead of buying adapters/connectors to make it all work, you could just cut/strip/solder the wires as necessary. Not rocket science, pretty easy stuff.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
If you have the repair manual, it has all the wiring diagrams you need. Instead of buying adapters/connectors to make it all work, you could just cut/strip/solder the wires as necessary. Not rocket science, pretty easy stuff.
Wrong...it's not that easy, with a single filament bulb you could turn the signals into brake lights but then you would have no running lights on the back or signals. The purpose of the run/stop/turn module allows a single filament bulb to run at 50% power as a running light and 100% power as a brake/turn light, it also stops one side from being a brake light when activated as a signal. There is no way of doing that with just simple cut/strip/soldering as you say.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

so this thread started and went no where... does anyone have pics of what they did or better advice on how to get these turn signals wired up. I'm using the module already but having trouble with where to wire them. i have an 06 with the 6 pin connector from the rear brake light. trying to get rid of the rear brake light and just use the turns

Old 06-24-2016, 05:30 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AK883xl
so this thread started and went no where... does anyone have pics of what they did or better advice on how to get these turn signals wired up. I'm using the module already but having trouble with where to wire them. i have an 06 with the 6 pin connector from the rear brake light. trying to get rid of the rear brake light and just use the turns
As I stated in your build thread I did this recently and it's very easy. Snip the wires at the circuit board that is in your tail light and throw it out. You don't need it. When you use the module with the stock turn signals you only need three wires. Left and right turn signal and ground. Check with a multi meter to be sure but if I remember correctly the left is purple the right is brown and obviously the black is ground. Wire each wire to the corresponding turn signal and connect all ground wires together. You are done. That easy. I zip tied the rest together between the fender and from under the seat. If doing any extra wiring the blue is brake and the two stripped wires are running lights. You don't need the running and brake lights connected to your turn signals as the module will do the work of all three. Hope this helps. As I said double check wires with multi meter as I'm going off memory.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:18 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok that kinda makes sense from what i saw. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Brake light question