Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Help with trouble codes

Hello guys, it's been awhile since I've posted here, so first.. Hello to everybody, I hope you're all doing well.

I'm throwing the following three trouble codes, and the battery & engine lights are on. I was sort of hoping the lights indicated the voltage regulator was going out because it already has once and I didn't know any better than to put back the stock replacement part.. I feel like it's a time bomb. The only work I've done recently is changing the battery and installing an LED headlight I got from DK customs. I haven't tested the battery, but it is still starting the bike, if a little slow.. I feel like the battery is a symptom, not a cause. I guess my first move is to disconnect that headlight bulb and take a ride to see if it resolves, but I thought I'd ask in case those line overvoltage codes indicated something common that I don't know about.

B1006 Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
P0562 Battery Voltage Low

Old 05-25-2016, 02:44 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
Hello guys, it's been awhile since I've posted here, so first.. Hello to everybody, I hope you're all doing well.

I'm throwing the following three trouble codes, and the battery & engine lights are on. I was sort of hoping the lights indicated the voltage regulator was going out because it already has once and I didn't know any better than to put back the stock replacement part.. I feel like it's a time bomb. The only work I've done recently is changing the battery and installing an LED headlight I got from DK customs. I haven't tested the battery, but it is still starting the bike, if a little slow.. I feel like the battery is a symptom, not a cause. I guess my first move is to disconnect that headlight bulb and take a ride to see if it resolves, but I thought I'd ask in case those line overvoltage codes indicated something common that I don't know about.

right, take out the bulb and put in the stocker. clear the codes. turn on the high beam. see what happens.

also wouldn't hurt to check your connections. make sure everything that came off the battery went back on it.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Your codes do indicate a possible charging system problem. The fact that you have 2 codes indicating over-voltage points to the regulator, the other (P0562) can be indicative of either a stator or regulator.

The first step is to get the bike started and running at a high idle (~2,000 RPM) and use a digital voltmeter to check the battery voltage, either across the battery terminals or from the positive terminal and ground.

You should have something between 13.8 VDC and 14.8 VDC. Any higher or lower is a problem. Once that's checked we can go from there.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:59 PM
samhallnc
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
Your codes do indicate a possible charging system problem. The fact that you have 2 codes indicating over-voltage points to the regulator, the other (P0562) can be indicative of either a stator or regulator.

The first step is to get the bike started and running at a high idle (~2,000 RPM) and use a digital voltmeter to check the battery voltage, either across the battery terminals or from the positive terminal and ground.

You should have something between 13.8 VDC and 14.8 VDC. Any higher or lower is a problem. Once that's checked we can go from there.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had these 3 same codes; by battery cables were loose. By bike was turning over slow like you describe. I would double check your connections.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 PM
samhallnc
Road Master

Originally Posted by pjweber
I just had these 3 same codes; by battery cables were loose. By bike was turning over slow like you describe. I would double check your connections.
This was a problem. Tightening the terminals made the bike turn over as quickly as normal and seems to run right.

Originally Posted by cvaria
right, take out the bulb and put in the stocker. clear the codes. turn on the high beam. see what happens.
I haven't disconnected the bulb yet, I forgot about it until got back to this thread to ask about the voltage.

Originally Posted by cHarley
After tightening the connections on the battery, the codes went away, except for PO562 (low battery voltage), but the voltage at the battery while running is only at 11.6 (tached up a bit, I don't have an actual tach). The battery is at 12v when not running. Does this indicate a problem or does it just read low until the bike runs enough to charge the battery a bit?

Old 06-11-2016, 01:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

After tightening the connections on the battery, the codes went away, except for PO562 (low battery voltage), but the voltage at the battery while running is only at 11.6 (tached up a bit, I don't have an actual tach). The battery is at 12v when not running. Does this indicate a problem or does it just read low until the bike runs enough to charge the battery a bit?
Yea, that's very likely a charging system problem.

Next step is to disconnect the stator plug and measure the stator output with the motor running. This is an AC voltage that should start out around 20VAC and climb upwards as the RPM is increased. It will go over 60 VAC if you rev it into the 4000-5000 RPM range.

Harley stators on the Sporty are well known for burning out, I had 2 fail in less than 50,000 miles. If your stator is bad, I highly recommend replacing it with one from Cycle Electric, they are much better made and more reliable. I installed one 60,000+ miles ago after the 2nd HD stator failure and have no more problems. The Cycle Electric regulators are also light years ahead on the old tech used in the HD regulators.

Harley (shunt type) regulators keep the stator running at 100% output whether needed or not and dump the excess current to ground. This makes for a lot of excess heat at the stator. CE regulators are of the electronic switching type and turn on/off as needed letting the stator run cooler and under less load.