Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
You're obviously not the trusting type. There are still honorable people running businesses.
I've been ripped off one to many times. I have no problem taking anyone to court, if I have to. LOL

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 PM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've stripped threads in cast aluminum before, I'm embarrassed to admit. If the tech HAD over tightened the bolt, it would have done precisely that...stripped the threads. It would not have blown out the side of the bolt hole. That is my experience. My opinion is, some type of force was applied to cause it to break like that. A force like the side of the engine smacking the pavement. If OP only rode the bike twice in the year and a half since, and it's been covered, damage could still look new.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:28 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

Tell you what I know about aluminum. I worked in die casting and metal stamping for years. When aluminum sits around it tends to turn a milky white color if it isn't kept clean. We called it white rust. That is a fresh break, no if's or and's about it, ask any die caster or metal stamper that works with aluminum. My bad, I just looked at that picture again. The aluminum is turning a milky white around that hole. Maybe it has been sitting around like that.

Last edited by Curt1953; 07-27-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Curt you need to take it down a few notches bro.

If you wanna act like this, there's always reddit/The_Donald

Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheHHMF

I don't need to take anything down a few notches. The OP got scammed by a stealer, no if's or and's about it. Bro.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

Not a very good review record here. The OP should add to it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...67858d519ddc,1,

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHHMF

Hell. I didn't know the forum had changed owner ship, Oh wait it didn't just another person who wants to tell others how they should act. lol

The following users liked this post:
Curt1953 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
Tell you what I know about aluminum. I worked in die casting and metal stamping for years. When aluminum sits around it tends to turn a milky white color if it isn't kept clean. We called it white rust. That is a fresh break, no if's or and's about it, ask any die caster or metal stamper that works with aluminum. My bad, I just looked at that picture again. The aluminum is turning a milky white around that hole. Maybe it has been sitting around like that.
I don't know, I don't see the aluminum oxidation in the picture. Maybe you can see better than me. I used to be a manager over an aluminum die casting facility and I know what you are talking about. If the bike had been ridden any at all the aluminum would be dirty. I can ride my bike a few times and I have to clean off the bottom of the engine.

Last edited by hexnut; 07-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Curt1953 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I don't know, I don't see the aluminum oxidation in the picture. Maybe you can see better than me. I used to be a manager over an aluminum die casting facility and I know what you are talking about. If the bike had been ridden any at all the aluminum would be dirty. I can ride my bike a few times and I have to clean off the bottom of the engine.
I've definitely road the bike a bunch of times since the 1.5 years after the accident. Never had an issue or anything. I even did a long weekend ride from nj to shenandoah valley down skyline drive. probably a total of 600 miles. This was last year and when I stored it for the winter I gave it a wash and put it away in the garage. when I took the bike out I road it up from my parents to my apartment and then did short rides here and there.

I've definitely dodged a bullet with this one since the insurance company deemed it being caused from the original accident in which they covered all cost to fix the bike. My deductible didn't go up either.

All in all we I'm glad I created this post because I learned a couple things.

A. always inspect your bike before you take it in a shop
B. snap some photos of the bike before it goes in
C. if you get into an accident, have the bike inspected fully from a reputable shop.

If I did all of the above, I probably could have avoided this situation.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by autobite
I've definitely road the bike a bunch of times since the 1.5 years after the accident. Never had an issue or anything. I even did a long weekend ride from nj to shenandoah valley down skyline drive. probably a total of 600 miles. This was last year and when I stored it for the winter I gave it a wash and put it away in the garage. when I took the bike out I road it up from my parents to my apartment and then did short rides here and there.

I've definitely dodged a bullet with this one since the insurance company deemed it being caused from the original accident in which they covered all cost to fix the bike. My deductible didn't go up either.

All in all we I'm glad I created this post because I learned a couple things.

A. always inspect your bike before you take it in a shop
B. snap some photos of the bike before it goes in
C. if you get into an accident, have the bike inspected fully from a reputable shop.

If I did all of the above, I probably could have avoided this situation.

Bottom line. Get the shop manual for your bike and do your own services. Don't give your money to stealerships. They are only good if you want to get taken on a new or used bike.

Quick Reply: 2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing