Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I agree with Sparrow...there'd be grim on those clean threads if you'd be riding around with it like that. If that's the ground strap that bolts in there it might not run with out it. I don't know how many grounds are used but I'd suspect the shop did something...maybe an air gun on that bolt?
I have a couple air tools but would never use on a motor for a bike. If they used anything over an inch pounds air ratchet then they have poor techs.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Looks like a consensus building here.

The break looks fresh otherwise it would have grime on it like the surrounding casting. Hitting a pothole would not cause that kind of damage.

Something that would cause that kind of break would be something you would know about when it happened.

I call foul!! And I would take it up with the manager.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,543 Likes on 2,507 Posts

If your anything like me with your bike, you would have seen that strap flopping in the wind long ago. dunno know about the rest of you but it looks like you can drill a new hole and tap to fix, as someone already said take it back and discuss with the dealer. if they refuse find a good indy and never turn back.

rk classic

Old 06-06-2016, 12:52 PM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the bolt hole or bolt look cross threaded ?

Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What John said about the threads got me thinking so I zoomed in on them and I have to agree with the threads being demolished. Almost looks like they grabbed a bolt with the wrong thread pattern and tried zipping it in with an air tool. If they did it by hand then that tech need to learn proper tool feel and also that you don't go beast mode on any part of a motor. They are torqued to inch pounds for a reason and the few parts that are foot pounds on the motor aren't astronomically high poundage.

This is why I'm glad I went to school for motorcycle repair. I may not work in the industry, but I can do my own repairs and when it comes to talking shop and spotting tech f ups I'm not left in the dark.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to give a little more background, I stored the bike away since last november till about a month ago. I have only ridden the bike 2 times this year and both were really short rides. I was thinking the same thing and did think it looked way to clean. Never thought about it being a mechanical error and they would straight up lie to me. Its a pretty reputable dealership (bergen County Harley Davidson) so its shocking to me that they would do something as dirty as this. I honestly don't even know how to go about bringing this up with the dealership from the start. It does look like the ground should be bolted onto it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so would have never noticed it honestly. I have the receipt from the dealership saying that they stopped doing the 5k service because they "found" the damage while working on it. how would I even prove that they were the ones that made the mistake? Does every dealership have a camera in the repair center? what a f'ing nightmare.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 PM
autobite
Cruiser

i'm just wondering does anyone know what part connects to that screw opening? would there be any reason why the mechanic would have to touch that area? how serious is this damage causing the bike?

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

you should be under your original warranty? or at least extended if you got it. its like the dealer messed up. im not even sure you could bump that? would the wishbone link be scratched to ****? and or why didnt the frame get hit? bs talk to the manger and owner...

Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 PM
autobite
Cruiser

I didn't get the extended warranty and the one year warranty was up since 2015. My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't even know where to begin on figuring out if the mechanic was the one to mess it up since I wasn't in the shop when he was first working on it.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:06 PM
autobite
Cruiser

worst case scenario if I'm screwed on this, is it safe to ride this thing with that piece missing?

Quick Reply: 2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing