Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:09 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm with the others.....I believe the dealer is pulling one over on you. If you hit something hard enough to brake that piece of metal it would have also damaged other items under bike.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:20 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by autobite
I didn't get the extended warranty and the one year warranty was up since 2015.
These bikes come with a 2-year factory warranty.

From the pics, looks like you didn't smack a bump or pot hole, IMO. That tie-link and ground strap would be damaged as well if you did. But dunno.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

worst case scenario if I'm screwed on this, is it safe to ride this thing with that piece missing?
If you're screwed on this then there is a lot of Harley owners on this entire forum that have or will see this thread and word of mouth can be a b!tch. Make sure that comes up in your dealings this point forward. That dealership can either make or break off of how they rectify this situation.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
These bikes come with a 2-year factory warranty.

From the pics, looks like you didn't smack a bump or pot hole, IMO. That tie-link and ground strap would be damaged as well if you did. But dunno.

Thats good to know. do I claim that at the dealership if it is covered under warranty?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,543 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Don't sweat it, run it over to a local indy and have them take a look, I'm sure they can drill and tap and reattach and tell you if their is any other damage and if its dangerous to ride, as one of the guys said looks like it was crossed threaded (good eye) and broke the corner off.

rk classic

Old 06-06-2016, 02:34 PM
autobite
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gregs1200c
Don't sweat it, run it over to a local indy and have them take a look, I'm sure they can drill and tap and reattach and tell you if their is any other damage and if its dangerous to ride, as one of the guys said looks like it was crossed threaded (good eye) and broke the corner off.

rk classic
Well on that note, does anyone know any good independent harley shops in the bergen county area? (northern NJ) for anyone not from the area. side note, the vast amount of comments and replies has really helped this situation. Just want to give a thank you to everyone for the support thus far!

Old 06-06-2016, 02:48 PM
autobite
Cruiser

welp, I guess the warranty route is out of question. warranty expired October of 2015.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

do I claim that at the dealership if it is covered under warranty?
You can try the dealer. They may have to get HD involved, as that piece of the crankcase is sheared off. Kind of a bad spot so close to the edge.

Originally Posted by gregs1200c
Don't sweat it, run it over to a local indy and have them take a look, I'm sure they can drill and tap and reattach and tell you if their is any other damage and if its dangerous to ride...
I'm not sure it's as simple as that. That tie-link is part of the stabilizer and is a specific length. Can't see where to redrill.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:08 PM
autobite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tibadoe
I'm with the others.....I believe the dealer is pulling one over on you. If you hit something hard enough to brake that piece of metal it would have also damaged other items under bike.
I'm just so confused on why the mechanic would even touch that bolt for a 5k service. Theres no reason for it no? and if he did, wouldn't he be loosening the bolt not tightening it? Or do the mechanics go through every bolt of the bike for a 5k service?

Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I would think they would check the torques on all the motor mounts. So, yes, they likely would touch that bolt IMO.

John

Quick Reply: 2014 harley 48 crack in engine casing