Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Researching Sportsters

Hey all! I've only been riding for six months and have a little over 4K miles under my belt. I currently ride an '04 Honda Shadow Aero 750. Great little bike, and I'm glad I got it for my first one, but when finances get a little better, I'm thinking of upgrading to an XL 1200L. I'm a little guy and can't even quite flat foot the Low, but I found that's only an issue while trying to back the bike up. But it's a real issue for me.

I narrowed my search down to two bikes....the Honda VTX 1300 or the 1200 Sporty Low. Two totally different bikes for different uses. Most of my riding is commuting to work and riding around the DFW, TX area. I heard a lot of negatives about Sportsters "comfort", so I decided to go down to Waco and rent one so I could eliminate it from my list, and simply get the Honda. Well, I put 331 miles on that little bike in seven hours, and I could NOT eliminate it from my list! No, it's not a highway "tourer", but it's got potential for those occasional longer rides. IOW, it at least has a starting point for improvement. And it seems to fit perfectly with the type of riding I do mostly...short jaunts around town and on the highways of less than 50 miles one way. No problem with that bone stock. The Sporty was just downright FUN to ride!

I also realized something else about a Sportster. It's unique in it's styling and no other company makes anything similar. Only Harley Davidson makes a Sportster. I haven't eliminated the VTX 1300 yet, but I'm really leaning toward the Harley. I'd like an '07 because fuel injection. I've been lurking for a couple of months, and finally decided to join. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these bikes....the good, the bad, and the ugly. Hopefully, I'll be ready to pull the trigger sometime in the fall, but we'll see. finances have to be a little better than what they are now. So, until then, I'll keep riding the Honda. Seems like a great forum here. I've learned a lot already. I'll probably be asking some silly questions later on.

Teek

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Researching Sportsters

The Sportster is a unique and legendary ride and I love mine, but the important thing is you've got a bike and you're riding - that's what really counts!

Ride on, and good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
roadhawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sportster would be a great bike to have for the type of riding you describe. I have a 2000 which is a little rougher because of the solid mount but throw a windshield on and some bags and you can tour with it. An 07 rubber mounted sporty should take you anywhere you want to go comfortably. I also have a 98 FXDWG since I find my self going farther away 2up with my wife and it is more comfy with a passenger, but when I'm on my sporty it's a totally different ride. Quick acceleration easy to weave around traffic. I'm not being biased towards harleys but the VTX looks like more of a heritage or Dyna model and I think the sporty would make you very satisfied.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 AM
utexasrider
Tourer

if you like the 1200L you might also want to sit on a nightster. They are basically the same seat height (or maybe lower) than the 1200L. I was in the same situation where I was comparing the Honda and Harley and the biggest thing for me is being able to flat foot my bike (i'm 5 5) and deep down inside I really wanted a Harley. Somehow I was comfortable with 1200L but really comfortable with the 1200N

Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 AM
deltasierra
Cruiser

I decided with the Sportster model as I'm only 5'5 and it fits me perfect. Like "roadhawg" stated throw on some bags & windshield and you can go just about anywhere. I use mine for travels back and forth to to work,running to the grocey store,just about anything. Also very easy to handle on the road. Parking is also much easier-when the big baggers pass up a spot to park because they are to big I'll be glad to take that closer parking spot.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

Hello Teek,
I rode an Aero 750 for 3 years and the VTX 1300was also the one I was looking at to move up to. I also have the same riding habits as you. Around town with the occasional 200 mile jaunt. I went with the 1200 Roadster, and never missed a beat. My only advice is, don't fall for the hype of either one, and just make sure its what you want.

-Andy

Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

of course we are going to be bias here and I would say if you go to the vtx forums they would be also.
since you already have a bike to ride I say take your time and check out all the different makes and models . then buy with your heart not your wallet and everything will be all right.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies so far guys. In no particular order: A 17" Memphis Fats windshield came with the Aero when I got it, perfect height forme,and had 'em put onthe medium Tourmaster throw over bags before I picked it up. I've been 250 miles on it one way in travel advisorylevel crosswinds (steady 30 mph), 45 degrees at 75-85 mph. Not bad. A little tiring, but not bad. I was dressed for it. Leather is great! Full face helmet also helps in weather like that. My return trip had GORGEOUS riding weather.

My rental 1200L had the HD quick detach windshield on it, but I found it too tall, and didn't work nearly as well on the Sportster as the Memphis Shades does on my Honda. I had 20 mph winds to deal with during my three hundred thiry mile rental ride, mostly interstate 35 from Waco to Austin and back, with a little in town riding thrown in.

I really love the Nightster, and have sat on a couple of examples, butI'm just too fond of the 4.5 gallon tank of the Low. The Nightster definitely is easier to straddle and I think a 1/2" lowerthough. Very nice!

And finally, I actually DID post the "which one" question on the VTX forum, in their "Honda v. Harley" section...They understood Iknew my choices reflected two totally different riding styles. Sportster isbetter for short rides and tight places, and the VTX 1300 better for longer rides. They suggested the rental, so I would "get over" wanting the Sportster. Which isa main reason Itook it so far on interstate. Seat gotuncomfy on the wayback, but I think I can dosomething about that withoutraising seat height any. I'm also thinking of getting 11" Progressive412shocks on any bike I get.I actually want BOTH bikes, but that's not happening right now.

Teek

Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

If you're going to ride a Harley, you might as well get a real one instead of some cheap imported copy. A Sportster will do what you want quite admirably. One other advantage is that if you really like the bike (you will), and want to keep it for a very long time, you will still be able to get parts for it years from now. If I had the cash and time to do it, I could spend less than a day collecting enough aftermarket and OEM parts to build myself a new '36 Knucklehead from scratch.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser

You do realize that once you ride a harley you can never go back. I mean, it would eat at you like cancer! You don't want that now do ya! I say, pluck that little Honda guy off your shoulder that keeps telling you to question your decision cause I think that was made the moment you fired that Harley up!

Quick Reply: Researching Sportsters