Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible flooded carb symptoms?

Old 06-18-2016, 11:14 AM
njpersaliano
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible flooded carb symptoms?

Hey guys... I have a 2004 1200c. I was having issues with a jug leak and needed a serious clutch adjustment.. couldn't put the bike in neutral, not fully disengaging, etc. Had a guy my buddy knows do the repair... stupid, stupid, stupid.. I KNOW. Learned a big lesson and will only go to people I know from now on, or a full service shop. Guy said it was running great, and I went to go pick it up.

Anyways, the guy added thicker oil in the primary... I can find neutral super easy now. He also changed the spark plugs, so these are brand new. And no more leaks, YAY! BUT, after riding it a short distance of 3 miles after picking the bike up, I parked it at my mothers. I go outside after about 5 minutes, and the bike wont start back up. At first it will NOT start.. it turns over, and smoke starts to be seen coming from behind the air filter on the right. I let it cool down... Once I DO finally get it started, it will idle and die very shortly thereafter UNLESS I'm feeding it gas with the throttle. If I put it into gear, and come to a complete stop, it dies again.

So I left it overnight... he came back the next morning (while I'm at work) and my mother gave him the keys to see what was wrong with it. Apparently the bike starts right up for him, he took it for a ride, and according to him found no problems with it at all. So apparently it works now.

Does this at ALL sound like a temporary flooded carb issue? I just simply don't understand how it was riding so smooth and idling perfectly at a stop light directly after picking it up... but it started giving me all these issues 5 minutes after turning it off. I'm clueless and I'm afraid the symptoms will repeat and the guy wont be there to see i

Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Did you use the choke after bike was warmed up? At mother's house? That will cause a starting/flood problem for sure. Don't ue the choke. Don't twist the throttle, just hit the starter IMX. If my bike is warmed up, I just hit the button, no twisting, no choking, nothing. I have a carb bike too.

Buy a factory service manual for your bike off Ebay, and do all this maintenance yourself.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 06-19-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

No, it doesn't sound like a temporary flooded carb issue. If that were the case, it would smooth out after getting started and running. You wouldn't stall after driving it for a bit. Like Mr. Harper said though, don't use the enrichener if already warm.

But, that doesn't sound like the problem to me. It sounds like the mixture adjustment has been messed with but he wasn't supposed to do any carb adjustments right? If he got into the carb, it could be a few different things.

How's it working now?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 AM
njpersaliano
Novice

Originally Posted by TStephen
No, it doesn't sound like a temporary flooded carb issue. If that were the case, it would smooth out after getting started and running. You wouldn't stall after driving it for a bit. Like Mr. Harper said though, don't use the enrichener if already warm.

But, that doesn't sound like the problem to me. It sounds like the mixture adjustment has been messed with but he wasn't supposed to do any carb adjustments right? If he got into the carb, it could be a few different things.

How's it working now?

My father took it out the next day, it's having the same issues for him. The choke wasn't pulled out while warm, only the first start of the day. The guy who worked on my bike is claiming no responsibility, though I never had those problems before. We took it to the Harley shop downtown and I'll see what they find. Hopefully it's something simple and I can get back on the road!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Here is your problem, not expensive in the Harley world and easy to change yourself, it is a common problem with 04-06 Sportsters. Your dealer or Indy should have one in stock, take yours with you as there are at least 2 versions and the harness for each version is of varying lengths.

Symptoms: Bike runs fine while cold, as it warms it no longer idles without either more throttle of using the enricher, as the bike and CPS warm up it expands the CPS and tells the bike to run wrong at idle, min e even had a crack in the face when it failed.

The following 2 users liked this post by stereoguy:
njpersaliano (06-27-2016), pie plate (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM
njpersaliano
Novice

Originally Posted by stereoguy
Here is your problem, not expensive in the Harley world and easy to change yourself, it is a common problem with 04-06 Sportsters. Your dealer or Indy should have one in stock, take yours with you as there are at least 2 versions and the harness for each version is of varying lengths.

Symptoms: Bike runs fine while cold, as it warms it no longer idles without either more throttle of using the enricher, as the bike and CPS warm up it expands the CPS and tells the bike to run wrong at idle, min e even had a crack in the face when it failed.

04 Harley Sportster Crank Shaft Position Sensor Location - YouTube

I sure hope thats all it is! I don't understand how its happening NOW after the last repair though.. never gave me those issues before, so it's possible the guy who repaired the gasket leak screwed with it somehow? I took it to a harley shop before I could see this, so we will see what they find, I suppose!!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:15 PM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, and they miss it, my Son went through it, I bought it after they went through his new carb and didn't fix it. Search it, happens often.

The following users liked this post:
njpersaliano (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM
njpersaliano
Novice

Originally Posted by stereoguy
Yep, and they miss it, my Son went through it, I bought it after they went through his new carb and didn't fix it. Search it, happens often.
I just called them after reading your last post, and asked them to check that CPS specifically. Last thing I want is to get it back and have it crap on me again 20 minutes down the road after they charge me a million dollars for something that wasn't even the issue. Thanks for your help, man. Truly appreciated.

pie plate (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 PM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by njpersaliano
I just called them after reading your last post, and asked them to check that CPS specifically. Last thing I want is to get it back and have it crap on me again 20 minutes down the road after they charge me a million dollars for something that wasn't even the issue. Thanks for your help, man. Truly appreciated.
Cool, hope it all works out for you.

njpersaliano (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I was gunna ask if you left the tap open...on my bikes that's how flooded happens - when I get forgetful.

The CPS bit is new to me! Glad to know...

Serendipity happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible flooded carb symptoms?