Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 20 years riding Sportsters comfort is really becoming an issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:57 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Some have switched to air shocks. Used ones are not too expensive they say. Never tried it myself but lots of threads about it here. One example I found. HTH

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...installed.html

Old 06-25-2016, 05:24 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Unfortunately air shocks are not an option. The saddlebags I have have a cutout for the shocks and the air shocks won't fit. They are too wide. I have also read mixed results with them.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

20 years!.....you should know to start with a plush seat.

Don't the European use 13.5 inch shocks (vs your 12.0) and still retain some style?

Anyway, good luck in your decisions.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:00 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus924
Your Progressive 412 shocks are the LEAST expensive rear shock you could have upgraded too... and they are only 12" which is not great for comfort. You bought shocks that are better than stock, but JUST.
IF you are looking for a better ride put a 14.125" shock on there for some real travel. Have you ridden a sporster with the long length ohlins? if not, how do you know the Ohlins cannot offer you adequate comfort?
14 1/8" Ohlins have a 4 1/8" stoke.

Also you didnt mention if you had a stock seat. There are ways to make a sportster run very smooth, but if you want to go buy a whole new bike, I dont know why your posting here. Go to a Beemer forum and tell em your tired of your harley and ask em what BMW you should get... they may be able to guide you in a better direction on that path
I agree with Maximus. A Harley forum probably isn't the best place to get advice on leaving Harley and switching to BMW. Kinda like asking Obama which AR-15 you should by.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:05 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Unfortunately air shocks are not an option. The saddlebags I have have a cutout for the shocks and the air shocks won't fit. They are too wide. I have also read mixed results with them.
You're not missing anything with HD air shocks over your 412's. I had both on my previous Sportster. Though the air shocks were an improvement over stock and a bit less spine jarring, they're still pretty harsh. I then bought 412's and noticed a slight improvement in ride quality, over the air shocks. The 412's were slightly better, but still very similar to the air shocks. Can't blame you for your apprehension in going with Ohlin's, I wasn't willing to do it either. Just couldn't bring myselt to drop $1k for shocks on a $4k bike. I still have no first hand knowledge of what the ride quality would be with them on a Sporty. But on my FXR which is only 50Lbs heavier, it was a huge improvement. But they're also 14.5" which helps as well. IMO it would be an absolute waste of time, money & effort to replace your 412's with the air shocks.

The following users liked this post:
baka1969 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 PM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I have the Mustang Wide Vintage Touring with backrest.

I'm not sure a 14" shock will bolt on without modification. It's my understanding that 13" is the max before that.

The one thing about the Ohlins I that (if I'm not mistaken) they are built to a certain weight. Howard asks a motorcyclist a ton of questions and does an excellent job from what I've read. That said, I need the flexibility to ride solo AND 2-up. Not to mention the shocks are very expensive. If they don't perform the way I'd want, it's around $1k I can't get back.

I love my Sporty. I really do. I've had 5. Including the Ironhead, rigid and rubber. My body is betraying me against the Sportster. lol
Im pretty sure you can go 13.5" with the more expensive progressive 444 shocks, I wouldnt think there would be too many reasons why you couldnt go to 14.125, the swing arm usually doesnt run into many issues with upward travel, maybe some belt adjustment and some way to raise the front if needed to level it out. but even the cheap 13" may help alot, every inch really makes a difference when travel is so short. a $300, or even a $500 chance may be alot less expensive than a new bike!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

We have an HDF sponsor who can build Ohlins shocks to a much wider variety of lengths and specs than Ohlins themselves offer and they will have a better quality ride than most, if not all, other brands. In addition Ohlins has a set of Sportster specific fork cartridges due out very soon, which are fully adjustable. You could be one of the first Sporty owners to have Ohlins front and rear (as I do for my Glide)!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

my bike got the biggest change when fitting the progressive monotube kit ,the rear std. dampers got way better, cause the front end is now dead stabel, i run the road king dampers on the rear the tallest ones(got them after 6 rides with just the front end done), i would recomend the mono tube kit and se if that did not give the boost you wanted after that it´s 13" schocks off some sort and a better seat.

regards

Sören

Old 06-26-2016, 05:51 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
You're not missing anything with HD air shocks over your 412's. I had both on my previous Sportster. Though the air shocks were an improvement over stock and a bit less spine jarring, they're still pretty harsh. I then bought 412's and noticed a slight improvement in ride quality, over the air shocks. The 412's were slightly better, but still very similar to the air shocks. Can't blame you for your apprehension in going with Ohlin's, I wasn't willing to do it either. Just couldn't bring myselt to drop $1k for shocks on a $4k bike. I still have no first hand knowledge of what the ride quality would be with them on a Sporty. But on my FXR which is only 50Lbs heavier, it was a huge improvement. But they're also 14.5" which helps as well. IMO it would be an absolute waste of time, money & effort to replace your 412's with the air shocks.
I agree. I had RK shocks on my Sporty and they were way too harsh, even with 0psi. I'd look for some adjustable shocks from a 1200 Sport model. Great shocks.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

you can drain the oil out of the HD air shocks an replace it with a lighter fluid. I read somewhere that 5 wt fork oil works great for a softer ride. That said...sounds like you're ready to move on from the sporty so I wouldn't drop any more coin on it. Wonder how the Buel's ride? I saw a Dyna today at a HD dealership that had a Buell front end on it....got my mind thinking, which usually costs me money.

Quick Reply: After 20 years riding Sportsters comfort is really becoming an issue.