Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used sportsters-What are they really worth.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:03 AM
G121321
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
2003 and earlier don't have isolated motors and vibrate a lot. I'd pay more for the more modern bike. Also, around the late 2000s EFI became standard and that's worth something too.
I'll take a carbureted bike any day, over fuel injected. Easier to modify, tune and work on. I haven't owned EFI yet and doubt I will.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

Statistics.

Market value vs Book value.

Takes some math and graphs to answer for insurance claims vs. "newspaper" and like quality for purchase.

Assumptions:
1) After 5 years the value is 50% of MSRP.
2) Low mileage does not raise price by $1000 maybe a few $100.
3) Accessories add no value, perhaps dime on the dollar.
4) Crashed/ dropped/ repainted big drop in value.
5) Sportsters may not be in demand as many riders retire or trade for a big twin so we find market saturation lowering value.

Well that's my .02 as to used Sportsters what are they really worth.

Now my 07 1200N cost $10K new. What would I sell for? What would I replace it with?

Good luck in your bike purchase!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:07 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I like efi because of the easy start an no need to warm it up much....I wonder how much the sensors, ecm an wiring add to the weight....I saw a guy bob out a efi bike that he converted over to carb an there was a ton of wiring in the pile of stuff he yanked off.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Statistics.

Market value vs Book value.

Takes some math and graphs to answer for insurance claims vs. "newspaper" and like quality for purchase.

Assumptions:
1) After 5 years the value is 50% of MSRP.
2) Low mileage does not raise price by $1000 maybe a few $100.
3) Accessories add no value, perhaps dime on the dollar.
4) Crashed/ dropped/ repainted big drop in value.
5) Sportsters may not be in demand as many riders retire or trade for a big twin so we find market saturation lowering value.

Well that's my .02 as to used Sportsters what are they really worth.

Now my 07 1200N cost $10K new. What would I sell for? What would I replace it with?

Good luck in your bike purchase!
all the mods and f**kery actually bring the value down. i'd run like h3ll from a modded out bike f****d over with chopping of fenders and frame... worthless

Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by cbs_24
I paid $5K for my 07 with 6k miles. I think the prices you mentioned sound reasonable, maybe a tad high, but not outrageously so.
That's funny because I did the same, same year, price, and miles. Mine needed 2 new tires, but it had $2K of chrome and upgrades, all of which I liked. Worked out pretty well. I passed up other bikes priced higher, with less upgrades.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
That's funny because I did the same, same year, price, and miles. Mine needed 2 new tires, but it had $2K of chrome and upgrades, all of which I liked. Worked out pretty well. I passed up other bikes priced higher, with less upgrades.
I'm in this range too. 07 with lots of chrome, short shots, screaming eagle A/C, back rest, windshield etc with 12k miles. Got it for $4,000 last year. Needed new tires, sold off the back rest, windshield and other parts I wouldn't use to off set cost.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:43 PM
cbs_24
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Same here with the tires. Just replaced original tires with Avon Cobras. Mine came with a decent bit of accessories for the price. Saddlebags, windscreen, sissy bar and pad, slip on mufflers. Really happy with the deal I got.

I'm a little too tall for the Low though, so I'm trying to figure out shock/fork upgrades to raise it up a bit.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Is a Mickey Mantle rookie card worth $100k? Hellz no! Unless I have a buyer lined up at $110k or more.

Worth/value is in the mind of the buyer. Usually the seller has an inflated "value."

What you're willing to pay, and are happy paying is what it's worth. Hearing the steal that someone else got only stirs the pot. Don't worry that your buddy knows a "guy that paid $1,000 for a 2014 with low mileage." Just decide what you want to pay.

Take a compression gauge and other tools along no matter how "immaculate" the bike might be. Do some serious inspecting. Decide the maximum you want to spend, offer half that, haggle hard and be ready to walk away.

There are a LOT of bikes for sale out there.

Last edited by TStephen; 06-29-2016 at 04:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
Is a Mickey Mantle rookie card worth $100k? Hellz no! Unless I have a buyer lined up at $110k or more.

Worth/value is in the mind of the buyer. Usually the seller has an inflated "value."

What you're willing to pay, and are happy paying is what it's worth. Hearing the steal that someone else got only stirs the pot. Don't worry that your buddy knows a "guy that paid $1,000 for a 2014 with low mileage." Just decide what you want to pay.

Take a compression gauge and other tools along no matter how "immaculate" the bike might be. Do some serious inspecting. Decide the maximum you want to spend, offer half that, haggle hard and be ready to walk away.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Stern
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen

I'm haggling my *** off! I'm just waiting for a punch in the face haha.

Quick Reply: Used sportsters-What are they really worth.