Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The HD social scene

Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Driever
I've been riding about 3 years. This is the second year of having my Sportster. I really like the motorcycle, the way it rides, the way it sounds, and the brand.
I don't care for the social scene at all. I don't ride without a helmet. I don't drink and ride. I don't have any visible tattoos. I don't belong to a club. I rarely ride with others.
I've been to a couple events at the dealer, etc. and mostly just feel uncomfortable. I like to ride and that's it. One of the things I like best about it is the alone time. Why hang around a dealer when you could be out riding? That said, I'm off the charts introvert, so I don't get into most social scenes anyway.
Am I the only one who feels this way?
I would not be so sensitive. The HD scene is like any other scene. You either like it or you don't. It is not a big deal, so don't make it one. I tend to side with you. Standing around when one could be riding makes little sense. I don't need a tattoo to feel I belong to something. Move on and don't worry about the small stuff.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:40 AM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

I don't ride without a helmet. I don't drink and ride. I don't have any visible tattoos. I don't belong to a club. I rarely ride with others.
I do ride without a helmet or a do-rag.
I don't drink and ride.
I don't have any tattoos. (I get sick of a car after two years, no way I'm getting a tat)
I don't belong to a club.
I rarely ride with others.

but who cares...

That said, I'm off the charts introvert, so I don't get into most social scenes anyway.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Like you, most everyone else would consider me an introvert.
I just consider myself to be a quiet person.

Bikes are THEE perfect hobby/life style for an introvert, especially if the bike is set up solo... just you, the bike and the ride.

And then there is the "Sportster" factor...
The "metric" community will hate on you for no other reason than it's an HD.
MOST of the HD community will look down on you because it's a lowly Sportster.
It is the PERFECT bike for those that don't comfortably fit in.
It is thee "UP YOURS" bike to everybody!

I don't mind the Harley "scene" at all.
We all share one common passion...riding.
That doesn't mean we are all instant buddies, BUT... there is at least the one small common factor that we all enjoy.
Take away all the stupid divisive garbage and we all love to ride.
At least most of us.
For some, I do believe IT IS all about the image.

I usually include a stop at one or two of the local HD dealerships every weekend or so.
I enjoy seeing and hearing all of the bikes if not the people who ride them.
But honestly, I enjoy most of them as well.
They'd just never know it.

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 04:33 PM
halfmt1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wolfman5874

To be completely honest if Harley didn't make the Sportster, I probably wouldn't own a Harley.

This.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Been riding all my life, on every brand ranging from Bultaco to Yamaha, and have always tried to keep it a solo affair. Dislike groups 10+. I tend to wear whatever the mood sets that day.
To the OP's point, the culture at a lot of the dealership gatherings I've attended, seem to be oriented towards groups of people standing around saying SE this, and SE that or other ways of bragging about how much money they spent on their bike.
I am exactly the opposite. Frugal to a fault, and impressed by others' display of same.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

What social scene? I am a solo rider and will not do group rides. I do not wear motorcycle specific gear except the T's gifted to me by the dealer with a new bike.

I do go and partake at the free food events. MMmm free food. Or stop by the dealer when I need to use their nice restroom.

Yet everyone seems to know be by name there. Oh! I forgot I bought 25 bikes there since 2009.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
What social scene? I am a solo rider and will not do group rides. I do not wear motorcycle specific gear except the T's gifted to me by the dealer with a new bike.

I do go and partake at the free food events. MMmm free food. Or stop by the dealer when I need to use their nice restroom.

Yet everyone seems to know be by name there. Oh! I forgot I bought 25 bikes there since 2009.
25 bikes since 2009?....what, you can't make up your mind...lol. How many do you have in your garage? Perhaps I should make my way to Illinois..haha...just joking.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

It's a scene and it's not. It's tribal and it's confederated and it's isolated. Driving around the Southern California freeways in the carpool lane recently - the lane splitters were Harley / adventure bike (like KLR) / BMW in no particular order for almost 60 miles. It was like Deja Vu for that many miles. That's the thing with Harleys, tattoos or anything else - the more "unique" everyone is - the more they are the same. There are more of every style and persuasion riding out there than one may realize.

My lack of tattoos is my tattoo. There is only one condition which I would get a tattoo - and my prayer is that I leave this planet with no ink. I don't judge as the stories of body art very often contain experiences none of us would want and that is their way of honoring that.

Bottom line - get out and ride - say hi to someone you wouldn't normally greet and you might just be surprised.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:10 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
anti tats
My thoughts -
would you buy a new house the spray paint and engrave nonsense into the side of it? Most will say no... well why then would you do it to your body? Most have some stupid answer that will make your brain hurt and your ears bleed

Wear a helmet, its not fair to those that will have deal with your medical bills and insanity/depression /streaking/going on talk shows and cry... etc, after the fall

Last edited by cvaria; 07-02-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:07 AM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
I ride solo because I like the solitude and going where I want, when I want without trying to coordinate it with other people.

I enjoy riding with my brother from time to time. We usually head to a particular bar, have a beer, make a long loop around nowhere to another place, have another beer then split up and go our separate ways.

I am not into big groups, they usually have that "captain" like cvaria talked about, that makes the trip unenjoyable.

But I do like being around large groups (like the weekly bike night scene), grabbing a cold one and mainly just scoot scoping, people watching and enjoying the atmosphere without actually getting *** deep in it.

No tattoos and I refuse to by all the HD logo ****. I've bought two things from the dealership; intake manifold gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets. Total spent: $15 +/-. And I only bought them there because my indy was closed early for a bike event.

Be yourself, enjoy what you enjoy. But don't be afraid to try new things. Also (as this thread shows) there are a lot of other people in those groups who feel the same way you do.
Virtually this whole quote could have been written by me (except the tats part- I have several)! Well said.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (07-11-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I buy the bikes but not the lifestyle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The HD social scene