Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zipper's Top End Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:51 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Zipper's Top End Pics

Just thought I would share some pictures I took of the top end parts from Zipper's Performance. I was able to inspect everything as the HD shop unpacked the parts so I snapped a few pics. Bike should be back in running order next week sometime as long as no snags are hit. Can't wait to finally ride this riding season and break this motor in again.

Freshly honed cylinders.

Touched up heads with new valve seals and guides and all sealing surfaces touched up.

New slightly domed pistons for better performance at the altitude here (7200 ft plus).

The heads and pistons have a ceramic thermal coating to help protect the parts from the extra heat produced by the big bore kit. From what I have read on the Zipper's website, I guess it is a normal thing to do in drag race engines to give some added durability to the engine components.

I want to say thank you to Zipper's Performance for really stepping up and standing behind their products. They refreshed everything and added some extras like the new pistons and having them thermal coated at no cost. The thermal coatings on both pistons were gonna cost $175 but they went ahead and had them coated and did all other work including the diagnostic testing to determine the cause of my major oil blow by out of the rear breather and shipped everything back at no cost at all. Also thank you to the HD shop because they have stepped up as well and are waiving the 15+ hours of labor costs that they will have into it by the time it is all said and done.

Both businesses have really tried to make this bad situation into a good one and have done so while keeping the customer in mind. Neither of the shops involved, Zipper's Performance and Santa Fe Harley Davidson, had to do all of this work at absolutely no cost but chose to in order to keep me happy and returning as a satisfied customer. I really appreciate what these companies have and are doing to keep my business. This is a perfect example of continued great customer service after the initial sale and install!

Now I can't wait to finally enjoy the great riding weather here in New Mexico!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:35 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default Make America great again

Good to see you were taken care of. In sorry you suffered so long.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,051 Likes on 568 Posts

Glad it's on the up! Cheers to those 2 companies. Sometimes that can be a rare thing these days. Thumbs up for zippers

Old 07-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
Good to see you were taken care of. In sorry you suffered so long.
Yeah im glad as well. It has been down and out since the beginning of February for a total of 5 months. It has been really tough not being able to ride for that long and constantly see and hear bikes rumbling around town. It will be nice to ride again.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Installed some rocker lockers today in hopes of getting rid of some of the ticking. Can't wait to hear the difference once the engine is all put back together and running.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Engine ****.....sweet.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

why is the valves in the one head coatet and the other one is not???

regards

Sören

Old 07-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
why is the valves in the one head coatet and the other one is not???

regards

Sören
I asked the same question and was told that some of the parts will look like they are not coated after being put into use. The original pistons that came with the kit were coated and when the top end was sent back they looked like there was no coating at all unlike the new pistons in the picture.

I was concerned and wondering if I paid for something that was not done so I asked Zipper's about the original pistons and was assured everything is coated and that the coating sometimes discolors after being run in the engine and looks like it is bare metal but is not. I hope this is the case anyway. After all of what they did I doubt they would flat out lie to me or at least I hope not.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

i hope so too, but it seams that the black on the exhaust valve burnt off very quickly.

wich tread will you update with fitting and dyna run????
can´t wait for you thought´s on the rocker lockers
regards
Sören

Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Søren Rix Petersen
i hope so too, but it seams that the black on the exhaust valve burnt off very quickly.

wich tread will you update with fitting and dyna run????
can´t wait for you thought´s on the rocker lockers
regards
Sören
I will start a new update thread with the Dyno results and my comments on the rocker lockers. I will also put the dyno results on the dyno thread. That won't be posted up until I have a dyno session done after the break in period so don't expect it real soon.

Im gonna try to get the break in period done as quickly as possible which should be pretty quick because I have a lot of riding to catch up on that I've missed out on since February. I will report back when the bike is up and running.

Quick Reply: Zipper's Top End Pics