Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bike nearly tempted you to trade in the Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I bought a '14 Triumph Bonneville T100. It's a nice bike. I sold my Sportster not long after.

After having the Bonneville for a couple years now.......I kinda wish I'd never bought it and kept the sportster.
But still, I have a nice Softail Deluxe, and I have another Sportster, although it is a project. An '87 I got really cheap, and when finished, debugged and semi-reliable, I'll sell the Bonne. The project Sporty will be loud, obnoxious, and designed to **** off the neighbors!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I will never trade or sell my 48 due to putting a crap load of money into it. Can't say I haven't been tempted though. My wife wants us to get a Softail Heritage which is cool with me. Felt like a little bit bigger and more comfortable sportster to me. Personally I would love a Lowrider S which is more likely to be our next bike than the Heritage.

Those are the two Harleys that have tempted me a bit but I just can't do it. Some day I'll just add to the stable, when I can afford to.

Edit: I guess there are 3 Harleys because the new Roadster has been very tempting. Still can't do it though and I don't know if it counts.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 07-25-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,570 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Temped hell I did it.

Wife and kids were at the beach with my MIL, I road over to the dealer poking around and came home with a RK, that was back on 07 and she still gets pissed when my buds bring it up.

rk classic

Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

fatbob or a lowrider s was temping.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman5874
Triumph Thruxton. If I had seen this bike before I bought my 48, I "might" have went with this bike instead. I know, blasphemy. I just love cafe racer style bikes.

I won't never sell or trade the sporty but I will have one of these bikes in the near future.

I've liked Triumphs since the 60's when I was a kid and the 70's when I finally got one. Liked the Nortons and BSAs too. I would love to own another Triumph but I'll never trade my Sport for one

Old 07-26-2016, 04:16 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fatboy - is tempting me now ---

Last edited by barrachuck; 07-26-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:23 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Only my Thruxton or the Moto Guzi V7 Racer. When it came time to pare down, it was the sporty that stayed. It is as if, you can have my sporty when you pry it from my cold dead hands (Estate).

I try to keep three bikes on hand; sporty, touring, and screwball fun. But I do see 4 in the future and the two listed above are strong candidates. My current screwball is an XS650 converted with a Phil Little storm kit.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I test rode a Dyna Low Rider earlier this year and I was very tempted but decided to keep my bike longer. I'm happy so far but man did I really like that Low Rider. I also want to try out a softail sometime and that new Roadster is tempting but I've done a lot to my Sportster and honestly just want the sportiness of the Roadster with the look of my bike.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I think a more realistic question for me, and probably alot of us is "What bike do you most want to add to your stable, to park next to your sportster"

Why do so many people limit themselves to only one bike? 80% of new bikes are under 13k, the Harley lineup is exceptionally expensive, but most bikes are cheap enough to add to your collection instead of "swap out for" another. Plus, when trade-in on some bikes is only 4k, why not hang on to it and get a 2nd toy?

I do own each of the only three motorcycles I have bought, so I guess I may be on the "I dont get rid of anything" side of the fence...

That being said, I SERIOUSLY considered a Ducati Scrambler, cool retro bike with urban vibe. Pulled the trigger on the Nightster but when the Scramblers get a little more available in the used market I may snag one up for a bargin (I hate depreciation...)

Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus924
I think a more realistic question for me, and probably alot of us is "What bike do you most want to add to your stable, to park next to your sportster"

Why do so many people limit themselves to only one bike? 80% of new bikes are under 13k, the Harley lineup is exceptionally expensive, but most bikes are cheap enough to add to your collection instead of "swap out for" another. Plus, when trade-in on some bikes is only 4k, why not hang on to it and get a 2nd toy?

I do own each of the only three motorcycles I have bought, so I guess I may be on the "I dont get rid of anything" side of the fence...

That being said, I SERIOUSLY considered a Ducati Scrambler, cool retro bike with urban vibe. Pulled the trigger on the Nightster but when the Scramblers get a little more available in the used market I may snag one up for a bargin (I hate depreciation...)

I really like the Scramblers as well and was pretty interested in them. Once I looked at the maintenance intervals though it kind of turned me away. I guess its not too bad being its a Ducati but I thought they'd require less maintenance. I still want one regardless but its not first on my list.

Quick Reply: What bike nearly tempted you to trade in the Sportster?