Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a windshield please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

That looks like the one I had, but for the Custom. The speedo is on the other side of the bars than the XL Low so it's closer to the bars, but same shield.

Last edited by RKZen; 07-27-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Unless I come up with a reason to choose otherwise I'm looking at this one:

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=58601-04
Looks like a good one. Just need to pick your height.

Those quick clamps are the bomb!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks guys. Thinking to go with the 18". Will try to get a measurement. Measure height from top of headlight visor, right?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

I picked up used for $50.00 the HD quick release clear shield and mounts to fit my wife's 883L. She is 5'7". After sitting her on it and marking for best desired height I cut it down myself. Works great!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Seems I should be able to find one the right size to start with...

Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, found a good used one on ebay. Will report when it gets here. Thanks again for all the tips!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine is that same 58601-04 one you are looking at. Found it on this site in the classified section. It's great, makes a huge difference on colder morning on my way to work, cuts wind noise way down too. I thought I'd use it only for the crisp Spring and Fall mornings, but find myself putting it on pretty much every time I'm planning to ride on the interstate.

I get a little temporary buffeting when a big semi goes by or I get behind a lot of traffic on the highway, but I think every shield is going to do that. Some mornings if it's humid and chilly the shield will fog up with elevation changes, again, not much you can do about that, minor complaint.

Riding 2 up, my wife prefers the shield no matter where or how far we are riding.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
I'm pretty sure mine is that same 58601-04 one you are looking at. Found it on this site in the classified section. It's great, makes a huge difference on colder morning on my way to work, cuts wind noise way down too. I thought I'd use it only for the crisp Spring and Fall mornings, but find myself putting it on pretty much every time I'm planning to ride on the interstate.

I get a little temporary buffeting when a big semi goes by or I get behind a lot of traffic on the highway, but I think every shield is going to do that. Some mornings if it's humid and chilly the shield will fog up with elevation changes, again, not much you can do about that, minor complaint.

Riding 2 up, my wife prefers the shield no matter where or how far we are riding.
I plan to use it for all interstate riding beyond a mile or 2. I'm sick of feeling like I'm holding on for dear life on the highway. I don't expect perfection, just significant improvement.

Oddly, I've never felt that way on any other bike, including much smaller bikes. Only this Harley feels like I'm on the edge of control at speeds above 60 or so. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan to use it for all interstate riding beyond a mile or 2. I'm sick of feeling like I'm holding on for dear life on the highway. I don't expect perfection, just significant improvement.

Oddly, I've never felt that way on any other bike, including much smaller bikes. Only this Harley feels like I'm on the edge of control at speeds above 60 or so. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

It's a big improvement as far as cutting down on the wind hitting your upper body on the highway. To me, riding with the shield at speed on the highway feels like riding about 30mph without the shield. You still get some wind, but not the "push" like without it. My first shield was smaller, maybe 12", a lot more narrow too, and it didn't make anywhere near the difference the full size one did.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'm sick of feeling like I'm holding on for dear life on the highway. I don't expect perfection, just significant improvement.
It will definitely be a significant improvement. It will also be 'quieter' behind the shield...no more wind noise and you'll hear your mufflers better.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a windshield please!