Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! New to screwdrivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 PM
TaniaDakka
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! New to screwdrivers

Hi hi!

So, I have a 2013 Sportster that I picked up a Swing Arm bag for and I want to install the frame myself. YET, I'm lost. I KNOW it's not hard. But I'm a visual learner and those instructions are as clear as the Myrtle Beach waters.

Can anyone help? I think there's a plastic thing that I need to pop out since I don't have passenger footrests on. But how do I pop it out?

I've scoured the place for vids, but I haven't found one.

Lost and kinda embarrassed,
TD

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pictures will help us help you

Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From the title of this post to it's contents I am laughing and smiling. Thank you (assuming there was a degree of humour in both- if not, never mind what I just said and skip to next sentence). I used an exacto knife to pop the plastic covers out. Not an issue, easy to do and no damage to the plastic plugs should I decide to ever use them again.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
TaniaDakka
1st Gear

Haha! Thank you I did that hoping no one would throw wrenches at me for not knowing this ****. LOL. And thanks for the tip - assuming that little piece in the pic above is, in fact the thingy I'm supposed to be popping out
Originally Posted by Blacks
From the title of this post to it's contents I am laughing and smiling. Thank you (assuming there was a degree of humour in both- if not, never mind what I just said and skip to next sentence). I used an exacto knife to pop the plastic covers out. Not an issue, easy to do and no damage to the plastic plugs should I decide to ever use them again.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

A small screwdriver, gently applied will work. Take your time, most of this stuff goes together only one way. I admire your gumption! Do a couple of these small projects, and you'll be a pro in no time.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM
TaniaDakka
1st Gear

Awesome!! Thanks!
Originally Posted by QC
A small screwdriver, gently applied will work. Take your time, most of this stuff goes together only one way. I admire your gumption! Do a couple of these small projects, and you'll be a pro in no time.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

A cork screw, like, for a wine bottle, will get the plastic plugs out. Zero risk of scratching your frame's finish. Chances are, you'll never use those plugs, again. If the holes need to be covered in the future, I think stainless steel button-head bolts are more attractive. If you prefer the plastic plugs, they're about 10 cents at a hardware store.
Have you ever heard of Loctite or Threadlocker? Applied before assembly, Blue, is medium strength. Don't use red (high strength). Purple, is low strength and useful for smaller fasteners or fasteners that are frequently removed (like a seat-mounting bolt). A thread adhesive prevents things from vibrating loose. A Harley, likes to shake. A drop or two, is all that's required. A five dollar tube will keep you secure for a long time. Green is used on fasteners if they're already assembled.
EDIT: Pics, when you're done, or if you have further questions. We're here to help and we're not from the gov't.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 07-26-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 PM
TaniaDakka
1st Gear

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:52 PM
TaniaDakka
1st Gear

Haha!! Will do!!
Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
A cork screw, like, for a wine bottle, will get the plastic plugs out. Zero risk of scratching your frame's finish. Chances are, you'll never use those plugs, again. If the holes need to be covered in the future, I think stainless steel button-head bolts are more attractive. If you prefer the plastic plugs, they're about 10 cents at a hardware store.
Have you ever heard of Loctite or Threadlocker? Applied before assembly, Blue, is medium strength. Don't use red (high strength). Purple, is low strength and useful for smaller fasteners or fasteners that are frequently removed (like a seat-mounting bolt). A thread adhesive prevents things from vibrating loose. A Harley, likes to shake. A drop or two, is all that's required. A five dollar tube will keep you secure for a long time. Green is used on fasteners if they're already assembled.
EDIT: Pics, when you're done, or if you have further questions. We're here to help and we're not from the gov't.