Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Vets I need some help! Error codes P0151 P0152 & P0154

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 PM
devildawg712
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Vets I need some help! Error codes P0151 P0152 & P0154

Hi Harley Fam, So my bike started running like poop so I took it to my local shop. I currently have Vance & Hines short shots installed and an RSD air cleaner. I didn't do any tunes or remap after the new parts were installed, but the bike ran without any hiccups for almost 2 months. One day the bike started bogging like crazy, backfiring and just overall running bad. I would try to accelerate and the gas would cut in and out.

My mechanic read the codes to me and said that those three codes were showing

P0151
P0152
P0154

He suggested I purchase

(2) new O2 sensors
(1) Map Sensor &
(1) Fuel Management system

Im really illiterate when it comes to the bike, so was hoping you guys can help me out with the diagnosis and parts list. I have a 2010 Nightster.

just don't want to be buying parts that are not necessary.

just a quick note, the bike was knocked over by a careless driver at work. It was parked in my work garage and it fell over on the right hand side. My mechanic said something may have gotten dislodged like one of the air flow sensors, which may be causing the issue. Spark plugs were checked and everything else and he advised everything looked good to go as we literally did an overall inspection last month when I redid my brakes and changed my oil.

Thank u in advance.

JR

Old 08-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Fuel Moto Micro EFI tuner for $199, comes with O2 sensor eliminators . That would kill 2 birds with one stone. You would get a tuner and bypass the 02 sensors.

The following users liked this post:
devildawg712 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:42 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Fuel Moto Micro EFI tuner for $199, comes with O2 sensor eliminators . That would kill 2 birds with one stone. You would get a tuner and bypass the 02 sensors.

Hey Thank you I'll give this a shot. So just to confirm, I'm still going to need to purchase the MAP sensor still even if I purchase this right?

thanks so much

JR

Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 AM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by devildawg712
Hey Thank you I'll give this a shot. So just to confirm, I'm still going to need to purchase the MAP sensor still even if I purchase this right?

thanks so much

JR
Probably not - MAP sensors are sometimes thrown at problems by technicians in search of a solution. It's more than likely fine

devildawg712 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheHHMF
Probably not - MAP sensors are sometimes thrown at problems by technicians in search of a solution. It's more than likely fine

Thank u than u

Old 08-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Also check the battery and connections. EFI bikes need a good battery and connections to run properly.

devildawg712 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:57 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

so I had to turn back to the experts here on the forum for help as my mechanic is pretty much at a loss.

So quick update again, my bike has been at the shop for just about a month and a half for issues I believed to be related to the airflow handful management. It was sputtering, bogging, backfiring and just a general loss of power all around. At full throttle it would barely move at times and then kick in like crazy. I was initially getting error codes P0151, P0152, P0154 but they have all gone away since the bike has been undergoing its maintenance at the shop. However, the general problem still remains.

I ended up buying a Fuel Management system from Fuel Moto, which deleted the 02 Sensors . The MAP on the bike has ben set to the most ideal standards. All I have aftermarket is my V&H Short shots and my RSD air cleaner. My mechanic pretty much tore as much of the bike as possible but still the issue remains.

He's done everything he could do and even sought out help from another buddy of his who suggested the problem may be somewhere in the electrical. My mechanic said the only way we could figure out if its an electrical issues is if we hook up the bike to a "breaker box". Literally no clue what this is. He doesn't have that technology at his shop as its a simple mom n' pops shop so he's contacting his buddies at Oakland Harley for some support. Obviously won't be free, but at this point I have to spend the coin. Are there any of you out there who have experienced this issue? I can't think of anything else and neither can my mechanic.

the only thing that I can even think of is the gas tank. I bought larger sportster gas tank and replaced my Peanut tank for a more streamline look. Plus i wanted a larger tank to save me from going to the gas station all the time. I did notice at times when I hit the throttle at a dead stop the bike would sputter since the gas shifted, but once it settled and leveled out all was well. Seriously no other clue where to look. HAS to be something super simple that we're overlooking.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:22 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,207 Posts

My suggestion would be to check all your engine electrical connectors and make sure they're fully seated. I had a similar problem this summer, my bike ran like crap unless it was at nearly full throttle, backfired and surged, etc., thought it was bad gas. Finally threw a check engine light with a P0222 code (TPS low). Found that the TPS connector had come unclipped on one side. Reseated the connector and all was well again.

devildawg712 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate

Originally Posted by martinj
My suggestion would be to check all your engine electrical connectors and make sure they're fully seated. I had a similar problem this summer, my bike ran like crap unless it was at nearly full throttle, backfired and surged, etc., thought it was bad gas. Finally threw a check engine light with a P0222 code (TPS low). Found that the TPS connector had come unclipped on one side. Reseated the connector and all was well again.
Hey Martin! Thanks so much for the reply. So my mechanic did say they went through all the wiring and searched for any nicked or crimped wires. They even went as far as cleaning up some of my shotty work I did a while back.

I will definitely mention that to them; As fas as checking the TPS Connector. Fingers toes arms and legs crossed.

Last edited by devildawg712; 09-24-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:22 AM
devildawg712
Intermediate

Just ran the TPS module idea by my mechanic and he said that was already explored. =/

Quick Reply: Harley Vets I need some help! Error codes P0151 P0152 & P0154