Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you feel a difference with a Stage 1 Intake/Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

A Stage 1 is like sex without a condom. If you don't notice a difference you are doing it wrong.

As an example, my 2003 EGC with the 88" and Stage 1 will do a little "smacka dat ***" on a stock 96". I have ridden 2 stock 96" bikes and raced one of them down a back road. I handily got out in front of and stayed in front of my buddy.

** Disclaimers:
1. I bought my bike used (At a Kia dealership) and it may have more than a simple Stage 1, but I have no idea what the original owner did to it
2. Did not get up to top end against or with either 96"
3. My results may not be the same as yours or anyone elses

Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacks
I should clarify what I meant. Asking for opinions on performance gain with a stage 1 is of little value because once people invest the money they tend to convince themselves that the money spent is paying off (not always but very often). Looking at hard data is where one should go if looking at investing considerable money. If, after processing the info from data (dyno results etc.), you feel that is the direction you want to go by all means go for it. I am not slagging stage 1 upgrades on a whole but saying one should be diligent in investigating what they will be getting out of the process in comparison to money invested. Nothing to see here, carry on.
you are right. some folks just don't want to hear it. if someone had no upgrades prior. money would be better spent on a 1200/1250 upgrade vs... pipes/ac. pipes and a/c+ tune don't create greater displacement... but, they do liven up the bike and remove physical and binary restrictions. folks are spoiled though. a sporty 883 isn't a slow bike to begin with. it's a raw little machine. a 250/500cc is slow...

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
A Stage 1 is like sex without a condom. If you don't notice a difference you are doing it wrong.

As an example, my 2003 EGC with the 88" and Stage 1 will do a little "smacka dat ***" on a stock 96". I have ridden 2 stock 96" bikes and raced one of them down a back road. I handily got out in front of and stayed in front of my buddy.
agreed... i HATED my first dyna prior to stage 1... felt like a land rover discovery
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14574934

Last edited by cvaria; 08-22-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

As others have said, 1200/1250 is probably the way to go if performance improvements are your objective...performance upgrades with stage 1 is minimal but the upgrades are satisfying with respect to looks and sound for sure.

Do you research and make it your own.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I read the rest of thread let me stop some people right here.

I hadn't touched this bike in a couple years as far mods go because I planned on upgrading in the near future. We'll I never did.

I had been looking at the Ducati xdiavel lately and had the oppurniuty to ride one at a Ducati event yesterday. It's a nice bike but I didn't fall in love. It offered some stuff I liked but that's it.

I realized I like my sporty and it offers me what I want.

With just a few upgrades (led light all around, and some more power) I'll be happy and won't have to trade her in. So I came here asking opinions.

After all this is a forum and there is a wealth of information and I'll be doing my reading and searching. But this is MY thread and I wanted have my own thread to ask my own questions and interact with people. (I have a good feeling someone will say this has been asked and to search instead of posting lol)

I know Harley's thing isn't acceleration but that doesn't mean I can't ask for more power. If acceleration was my thing on a bike, I would have still had my heart set on the v rod or another bike which I'm no longer interested in.

As couple have said, my Harley looks great and I'd hate to see it go as I upgrade. So maybe I'll just do some things to it instead. Would love to add a bigger one to my collection one day if I can keep this one around as my brawler

Now let me read the rest of my thread and see what others have said.

To all the others, thanks much for participating in the thread!
The sporty might not have ton of power but still very fun to ride and it does get up and go. I feel Harley really restricts this bike.

I've been riding a good amount since one of my good friends got a bike last week (he just got a Ducati panigale 1199S) and we've been really enjoying riding. So why not give her some love? Lol

Last edited by razorseal; 08-22-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
As others have said, 1200/1250 is probably the way to go if performance improvements are your objective...performance upgrades with stage 1 is minimal but the upgrades are satisfying with respect to looks and sound for sure.

Do you research and make it your own.
It's something I would consider. I won't do the work though. I will have to find a reputatible shop around me to do the work.

That being said I don't plan on that anytime soon. And if I'm gonna go in the engine, might as well do heads cam and big bore. Lol... It's really all about making it your own. At that point I don't even see me selling it if I decide to get something else lol

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts

I also can't attest to the 883. My bike is a 1200 but maybe it is just beaing able to hear the bike that made it feel more powerful but I have no regrets. Best of luck with yours!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a good experience with my Iron. I put Cobra slip ons at 500 miles. That gave me sound that I liked. I did get a little decel pop, but not bad. Performance wise, it stayed the same except a little more on the big end. When I later installed my SE AC, the brown truck delivered my V&H FP3 literally at the same time. So those two pieces together made a noticeable difference. The low end was a little better, but the midrange and upper range was very noticeable for me.

Not the best bang for the buck, but very satisfying!

Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by razorseal
I realized I like my sporty and it offers me what I want.

With just a few upgrades (led light all around, and some more power) I'll be happy and won't have to trade her in. So I came here asking opinions.

After all this is a forum and there is a wealth of information and I'll be doing my reading and searching. But this is MY thread and I wanted have my own thread to ask my own questions and interact with people. (I have a good feeling someone will say this has been asked and to search instead of posting lol)

I know Harley's thing isn't acceleration but that doesn't mean I can't ask for more power. If acceleration was my thing on a bike, I would have still had my heart set on the v rod or another bike which I'm no longer interested in.

As couple have said, my Harley looks great and I'd hate to see it go as I upgrade. So maybe I'll just do some things to it instead.

To all the others, thanks much for participating in the thread!
The sporty might not have ton of power but still very fun to ride and it does get up and go. I feel Harley really restricts this bike.

So why not give her some love? Lol
For sure,there's nothing wrong with a Sportster as they are cool bikes,in their own right. DK Custom Products has a large inventory of custom parts for Sportster owners wanting to mod and customize their rides. We probably have more air cleaner options than almost anyone but that's just a small sampling. Our owner loves and rides a customized Sportster,almost every day,along with his modified Softail and TriGlide.
You might check us out,when you get a moment.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/main.sc

Clint

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I'm very happy with my Krome werks slip ons. At the same time I added a DK ac and a Fp3. While its just a seat of my pants dyno I believe it helped. It really improved throttle response and made it a very fun ride.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 PM
blinkwatt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your $. Just get a 1200 next time around.

Quick Reply: Did you feel a difference with a Stage 1 Intake/Exhaust?