Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you feel a difference with a Stage 1 Intake/Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Save your money and stick with the 883; 1200's are very over-rated - I mean after all, the riders have to justify the extra expense that they have sunk into the bike to get its power near that of a big twin (why not just buy a big twin instead...lol)

My 2009 883L came with freeflowing air-filter and Screaming Beagle slipons and I was very happy with how she sounded and performed.

However a couple of weeks ago I installed a Thundermax Tuner with Autotune and the difference is like night and day. More power accross the board (and very noticeable at that) without a hit to mileage (still getting 46mpg). Sound is still fantastic and no decell popping either.

I like the Thundermax as I can move it from bike to bike, although it will be a few years before I even think about a new Sporty as I'm so happy with this one. Also it allows me to do basically ANY mod that I have planned - including a turbo next year - without hassles as I just need to download the correct MAP.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
You're asking the wrong audience. Once someone has spent (wasted) their money on the upgrade, there is a subconscious perception of improvement to justify the money spent.

Do your research and look at some dyno graphs of before and after mods. Do not focus only on the purported h.p. gains. See at what rpm the hp gain occurs and do likewise for the torque numbers. Once you've looked at a number of different graphs, you'll see that the minimal gains are at a narrow band of rpms. Now ask yourself how often you ride at that rpm. If you gain 5hp at 6000rpms, and you've spent close to a $1000 to do it, you'll be able to convince yourself that "it really wakes it up" "like night and day" "makes all the difference" when in fact it is such a minimal difference you'll wish you could get your money back.

Keep your 883 the way it is, it's a great bike, and when it's time to "move up" do so, but keep in mind that hp numbers are never Harley's thing. You want acceleration? Go look at a Triumph Speed Triple.

BTW, your Sporty looks great.

Wasted? It's the best upgrade I have done. A better breather and at the minimum a pair of slip ons is the minimum upgrade if you want to bring the bike to life. Stock pipes are a joke

Old 08-24-2016, 06:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
Save your money and stick with the 883; 1200's are very over-rated - I mean after all, the riders ...[entire post] ...ect MAP.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

1200's are very over-rated
Not sure if joking, trolling or just clueless.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Save your money and stick with the 883; 1200's are very over-rated - I mean after all, the riders have to justify the extra expense that they have sunk into the bike to get its power near that of a big twin (why not just buy a big twin instead...lol).....
I do hope that the 'LOL' applies to the whole paragraph;
I bought a 1200 brand new, still don't have 10k$ in it and have better power (to weight) than a 'big twin'.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
I do hope that the 'LOL' applies to the whole paragraph;
I bought a 1200 brand new, still don't have 10k$ in it and have better power (to weight) than a 'big twin'.
big twin can't rock and roll like a sporty. it just can't. different animal all together similar only in the facts that they are both air-cooled harley motorcycles. sporty is more reliable, weighs less, more agile, easier to service, cheaper to service, cheaper to insure (883), etc... bt will smoke a xl on the highway, no question, more prestige/street cred/respect (from idiots), etc...

like my dyna, love my sporty.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

short answer is yes.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:49 PM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Save your $. Just get a 1200 next time around.
When I got this bike, I was little uneducated. I didn't really ask around much. I got the most affordable harley I could get. That was a used '10 883. I went strictly for looks. I knew the 1200 existed (I think the place I bought it from even had an older one there) but that was it.

Now that I'm educated in the Harley line, I would love to get the new roadster, but if I do upgrade it won't be another sportster. It will most likely be a bagger (street glide) or a Dyna Low Rider/Softail Slim S.

Honestly, my goal is to keep my 883 and get a bagger, but I don't think the wife will allow me to have 3 toys in the garage. lol

As much as I love her, I want something with cruise control.

but finances won't allow me to get a new bike anytime soon, so I rather just tinker with what I have in the meantime. Perhaps that's why I'm asking around for a stage 1 which I'm already halfway into with the pipes.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by razorseal
When I got this bike, I was little uneducated. I didn't really ask around much. I got the most affordable harley I could get. That was a used '10 883. I went strictly for looks. I knew the 1200 existed (I think the place I bought it from even had an older one there) but that was it.

Now that I'm educated in the Harley line, I would love to get the new roadster, but if I do upgrade it won't be another sportster. It will most likely be a bagger (street glide) or a Dyna Low Rider/Softail Slim S.

Honestly, my goal is to keep my 883 and get a bagger, but I don't think the wife will allow me to have 3 toys in the garage. lol

As much as I love her, I want something with cruise control.

but finances won't allow me to get a new bike anytime soon, so I rather just tinker with what I have in the meantime. Perhaps that's why I'm asking around for a stage 1 which I'm already halfway into with the pipes.
You got the right bike. An upgrade kit can be had for cheap. Dont let these nuts mess you up. Unless you tell the insurance company you beefed your 883 up to 1200/1250, nobody knows. The "just buy a 1200" crew is paying more... har har.

Enjoy your bike

Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 PM
razorseal
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back on track,

here is a youtube video I found from S&S. Stage 1 upgrades (intake/slip ons and PV 2 tune) gave the bike 11 more HP and they upped the revs a little bit. %21 increase in HP.

Because it sounds so little, to put things into perspective I compared it to my vette. with 465 stock hp, 23% would add 103 hp to the car. Knowing cars little better, I guarantee that's a difference I would feel and would be worth spending the money for a tuner and an intake lol.

Quick Reply: Did you feel a difference with a Stage 1 Intake/Exhaust?