Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffles In or Out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 PM
pgilbert689
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Baffles In or Out?

I have some V&H Twin Slash slip-on mufflers. I was talking to the folks at DK about some TTI's and they asked if I was going to keep the baffles in or take them out. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I decided to pull out the baffles to see if I liked the sound and if I could tolerate the loudness. I'm pretty torn on what to do. It is definitely louder. I'm getting a lot of decel popping that I didn't have before but assume the TTI's will fix this issue. I'm not sure if I will like this long term.

What would you do or what are you currently doing?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Removing the baffles removes back pressure in your exhaust, hence you are getting "pops" on your decel. I always run baffles to keep a modicum of back pressure in the pipes but some do like the more open sound without them - but that's all you're doing, is getting more sound.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Removing the baffles removes back pressure in your exhaust, hence you are getting "pops" on your decel. I always run baffles to keep a modicum of back pressure in the pipes but some do like the more open sound without them - but that's all you're doing, is getting more sound.
To me, sound is what Harley is all about. If it's not your thing a rice burner will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

The twin slash with baffles are loud enough, and perform well with them in.
The BT Tourer riders at work tell me my Sportster sounds better then a Sporty should with the V&H 3" Staggers.
Why do you want louder?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

I took the baffles out of my V&H short shots and it was way to load and didn't sound as good as it does with them in.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:35 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

It also depends on your states DMV requirements for safety check. My state requires baffles.

Even TTIs with baffles will improve low-mid range torque and deepen sound. I have them on my 3" Rush with 2" baffles. So unless you want it louder than it is, stick to what you have. It is understandable that you have decel popping when you removed the baffles. TTIs will help but may not eliminate the popping. A good tune is probably a better choice.

That being said, it is up to you how you want to mod based on your personal preferences ie. looks, sound, performance.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by pgilbert689
I have some V&H Twin Slash slip-on mufflers. I was talking to the folks at DK about some TTI's and they asked if I was going to keep the baffles in or take them out. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I decided to pull out the baffles to see if I liked the sound and if I could tolerate the loudness. I'm pretty torn on what to do. It is definitely louder. I'm getting a lot of decel popping that I didn't have before but assume the TTI's will fix this issue. I'm not sure if I will like this long term.

What would you do or what are you currently doing?

You're going to get the best performance with the baffles out and some TTI's in their place.

The TTI's will deepen the tone, and reduce the volume just a bit. They will also reduce/eliminate the decel pop.

So if the volume is good for you, you will really like the extra power with the TTI's in there.

As hcsic mentioned, even if you put the baffles back in, you will get an increase in low and mid range power by adding the TTI's.

You can do a youtube search for Thunder Torque Inserts, or TTI and get a ton of videos and different folks experience.

Here's a little vid we made.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM
rchays57
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but I have the twin slash on my tri glide, stage 4 conversion and s&s power duals up front. Will the TTI's take the bark out of the exhaust? Barks or raps anytime you try to pick up speed.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by rchays57
Not to hijack this thread but I have the twin slash on my tri glide, stage 4 conversion and s&s power duals up front. Will the TTI's take the bark out of the exhaust? Barks or raps anytime you try to pick up speed.
The main purpose of the TTI's is to reduce reversion, resulting in more low and mid range power, without a significant drop in high RPM power.

That said, a side benefit is that they will deepen to the tone a little and take take some of the sharpness out of the exhaust note.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM
pgilbert689
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered my TTI's. I decided to leave the baffles out. I did not get any complaints from the wife or neighbors so we're going for it.

For me, the sound is louder but it's a much better sound than with the baffles. It's how a Harley should sound!

Quick Reply: Baffles In or Out?