Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brakes squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Rear brakes squeal

So today I got two new tires put on. Shop called me and said my rear brakes were bad. No big deal they had the wheel off already so it was nothing to throw some new pads on.

Picked it up after the shop closed and on the ride home I noticed the rear brakes would squeal while riding. If I applied the brake the noise went away.

Thoughts on why new pads would squeal right away. The shop is closed tomorrow (Sunday) otherwise I'd take it back and have them look. I can do the work myself I just figure if I paid them to do a job I want it done right.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:51 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Since you know about brakes, I suggest you take out the pads yourself, clean the caliper, then reinstall the pads making sure the metal back plate is properly installed on the back of the pad. May be a dumb question but are you sure the rear pads were changed.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2c&action=view

Last edited by hscic; 08-28-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 AM
hpotter
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cleaning and lubricating the pins help to remove the squeal. I did not do any to the back of brake pad, just clean it.. I used 42820-04 from harley to lubricate pins

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02748.pdf

Last edited by hpotter; 08-28-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 AM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When i changed pads a couple of years ago mine squealed,and still do,i thought it might go away,no luck.
They say if you take the pads off and cut grooves with a mini grinder it will stop it,never tried it though.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Originally Posted by hscic
Since you know about brakes, I suggest you take out the pads yourself, clean the caliper, then reinstall the pads making sure the metal back plate is properly installed on the back of the pad. May be a dumb question but are you sure the rear pads were changed.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2c&action=view
Yes I'm sure the tears were changed. I was shown the old pads.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:40 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

either have them pull the pads and clean them the rotor and caliper

or do it yourself - clean the rotor , the backside of the pads and the caliper

brake cleaner or compressed air or toothbrush and soapy water
- maybe some copper grease on the backside of the pads-

when they were changed
it probly knocked some dust/dirt lose maken them squeal like a pig

Old 08-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Today I cleaned it with brake clean and went out for a ride. Seemed to work for a little while. But after about 15 minutes the squeal came back. It's constant until I apply some brake then it goes away for about a minute then comes right back.

They put drag specialties brakes on, anyone have bad experience with those. I'm tempted to have them just put OEM on.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Aggravating isn't it,my pads were not OEM either.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Update:

Talked to the tech that did my brakes. He told me to bring it back in to look. But he said he believes the master cylinder is not allowing fluid to return. Meaning my caliper is constantly applying brakes and overheating.

He said he noticed the pads wouldn't return when he was doing the job.

Now if he noticed that, why didn't he mention that so it can be fixed. So now my new brakes are overheating and possibly getting glazed.

I feel I'm owed. At minimum a master cylinder rebuild. Maybe even new pads and rotor.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
Update:

Talked to the tech that did my brakes. He told me to bring it back in to look. But he said he believes the master cylinder is not allowing fluid to return. Meaning my caliper is constantly applying brakes and overheating.

He said he noticed the pads wouldn't return when he was doing the job.

Now if he noticed that, why didn't he mention that so it can be fixed. So now my new brakes are overheating and possibly getting glazed.

I feel I'm owed. At minimum a master cylinder rebuild. Maybe even new pads and rotor.
He didn't say anything because you would have suspected him of bull shitting you. He doesn't owe you anything, but he should have told you the first time at the shop.
Why do you expect new pads and rotors because of a squeal The only squeal we hear is you making a big deal out of a mechanic who told you the truth.
Were your rotors and pads damaged because or the shops work?
You reworked what was covered by the shops work.
That's cause for denial of any warranty work.
Here little piggy.

I recently had the problem your mechanic described and that's not your problem.
If your master cylinder was as described the caliper would be HOT. Go for a ride and hand check both brakes calipers after using the brakes. Warm is normal.....hot is not.
BTW...most new Sportster brakes squeal straight off the showroom floor for a few thousand miles. Many reports of it here on the forums. Mine squealed when new also.

Last edited by Guzzi; 08-29-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes squeal