Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my first Sportster!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Nice and clean! Looks great! Congratulations and enjoy!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 590 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeSporty
Pay the Harley tax...You'll like it.
Hahahaha! I did order a new air cleaner, just not really feeling the ham can.

Sportster pros: I'm looking for a handlebar with a bit more backsweep than stock, any suggestions? Height, etc feels good, just want to bring my arms back a touch without a riser, etc.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats and welcome from Orlando. I too came to the Sportster from early Honda Twins (CM400). Much happier with the Sporty. WAY easier to tinker with, easier access and service for a newbie home wrencher. Plus parts availability is night and day.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to the forum! The bike looks in a pretty good shape and unmolested. Have fun and ride safe!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks great! Sportsters are a blast. I bought a XL883C in addition to my Heritage. I really enjoy it. Don't entertain any of that crap that they are a "girl's bike" or similar.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Congratulations. It's a great looking bike. Ride it. Enjoy it. Be safe.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Same route I took. Honda twin to the Sporty, but I chose an earlier rendition because I like simplicity, early cam and crank design and lack of aggravating ECU s**t.

Congratulations and have a blast.

Like a few others have said, parts are all over the place and relatively cheap. Save the "spendy" for the fun stuff.

I like the price of Biltwell bars, though I have no experience with them. I'll be doing new bars when I do my winter mods (I hope) and I'm looking at the Biltwell Keystone XL.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice bike man, enjoy.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I think "card tune" was supposed to be "carb tune". A new jet in the carb after new pipes and air cleaner.
Check the handlebars on a Sportster Low. They have a little more pull-back.
Verify that the left side cover (battery cover) is secure. There a ton of people who have lost them going down the road and a few threads about how to ensure it's held in place.
Your air cleaner is not stock. Your mufflers, do look factory, but someone may have punched the baffles and re-jetted the carb, too. If it's louder than a cat's fart, the mufflers have been modified. Check the air-fuel mixture screw for having the cover drilled out. If the cover is gone, chances are the carb has been re-jetted and the a/f screw has been adjusted.
I would never risk my safety, and my family's security, by riding on tires more than 6 years old. Not worth it. Check the date code on the tires.
Nice looking bike. Now that you have the starter kit, look forward to years of modding and riding. Except for the rear sprocket cover, head light trim ring, forward controls, p-pad (which you've removed), passenger foot-pegs and air cleaner, it looks stock. There are no covers at the base of the pushrod tubes from the factory (so, they aren't missing). Covers are available, though. A factory, stock Harley is the most rare Harley.
Welcome to the forum.
P.S. Ditch the fork reflectors.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 09-08-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: nunya
The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 590 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
I think "card tune" was supposed to be "carb tune". A new jet in the carb after new pipes and air cleaner.
Check the handlebars on a Sportster Low. They have a little more pull-back.
Verify that the left side cover (battery cover) is secure. There a ton of people who have lost them going down the road and a few threads about how to ensure it's held in place.
Your air cleaner is not stock. Your mufflers, do look factory, but someone may have punched the baffles and re-jetted the carb, too. If it's louder than a cat's fart, the mufflers have been modified. Check the air-fuel mixture screw for having the cover drilled out. If the cover is gone, chances are the carb has been re-jetted and the a/f screw has been adjusted.
I would never risk my safety, and my family's security, by riding on tires more than 6 years old. Not worth it. Check the date code on the tires.
Nice looking bike. Now that you have the starter kit, look forward to years of modding and riding. Except for the rear sprocket cover, head light trim ring, forward controls, p-pad (which you've removed), passenger foot-pegs and air cleaner, it looks stock. There are no covers at the base of the pushrod tubes from the factory (so, they aren't missing). Covers are available, though. A factory, stock Harley is the most rare Harley.
Welcome to the forum.
P.S. Ditch the fork reflectors.
Awesome, thanks for the tips HarleyScuba. I will not mess around on the tires and get some very soon. Looks like there are a LOT of tire options, any thoughts on a tire folks would suggest (I realize that's probably a bit of a can of worms)? Something that won't totally break the bank would be nice.

Quick Reply: Picked up my first Sportster!