Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 07 Nightster Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM
deceptive
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 07 Nightster Owner

I just picked up a 2007 Nightster that is in need of some love and attention. It is the all black paint scheme and has low miles. The previous owner seemed to not take care of the bike. It needs a Paint Correction done, there are rust spots on the chrome and mirror stalks, and it is giving me the P0652 DTC. When I showed up to look at the bike it needed to be jumped. When I got it home the battery was DEAD. I put it on the Smart Charger and it now starts up without being jumped. The charger showed the battery as good, however it looks like the battery is the one it rolled off the production line with. I went out riding around the house and the battery light along with the engine light would come on together for a minute then go away. It did this a few times. I got back to the house, shut off the bike, gave it a minute, then started it back up. I am treating the bike as never having had servicing and everything being original. I am running some Seafoam in the gas and oil before I do a change. So I have some work to do before it is ready for some road trips. The plan is a new battery, voltage regulator, plugs, coils, wires, oil change, soap, wax, and elbow grease.

Do I seem to be on the right track as far as the approach to getting this thing back to its former glory?

I am hoping to have a V&H FuelPak within the next week in preparation for a new exhaust.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

Buy a factory service manual. It will help you repair everything correctly and you will be on your way to riding

Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

And change that battery for a new AGM one, to give you a fresh start. Check the tightness of the main battery cables at both ends when fitting it.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

V&H FuelPak within the next week
woah woah... explore your options

there are rust spots on the chrome and mirror stalks
"0000" grade steel wool
https://www.amazon.com/Homax-Product...000+steel+wool

and

turtle wax chrome polish/rust remover
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-.../dp/B0009JKGJC

good as new

Last edited by cvaria; 09-16-2016 at 04:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
deadrubberboy (09-21-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Reconnect the battery per the factory service manual procedure, which is not the easy way. Because of the length of the battery cables, and the position of the battery, you will understand why once you get into it.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:51 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Make the bike safe first, then worry about the pipes/tuner. How old are the tires? If they are original, they are unsafe to ride on, in spite of how good the tread may look. It needs a new battery, and complete service including brake fluid flush and replacement.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 AM
deceptive
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Make the bike safe first, then worry about the pipes/tuner. How old are the tires? If they are original, they are unsafe to ride on, in spite of how good the tread may look. It needs a new battery, and complete service including brake fluid flush and replacement.
Absolutely, maintenance is a top priority. The FuelPak is used and cheap. I ordered the Cycle Electric Voltage Regulator. I am trying decide what battery to get and whether to try my hand at the stator.

I am putting miles on in my neighborhood before I change the oil to circulate the Seafoam. All the fluids are getting changed.

I am trying to find 883 Iron Rims to put new tires on.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Buy an AGM type battery and install it. If the bike startsa and runs then you can check the charging circuit, using the Stickies in the Tech Electrical section. There is no need to change stuff if it works fine! The most likely failure, after the battery, is the regulator, but if your current one works there is no need to change it. Keep the new one for a rainy day.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Bearfan
Road Master
Received 249 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats on the nightster

Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
deceptive
5th Gear

Good news and bad to report.

The good is that I got the voltage regulator, plugs, and exhaust changed. The Magnaflow Legacy Series sounds great. The bike fires up easier and idles smoother.

The bad, **** me! The T30 bolt for the rear brake control snapped off.

I love the sound of the Magnaflow! It is not much louder. The plugs looked rough. The valves looked like they need some Seafoam ran across them.

I rode the bike around the neighborhood and put about five miles on it. I did not run it hard due to the rear brake lever. No Battery or CEL, I suspect the issue was the Voltage Regulator. It looked like hell. I found this to hopefully fix my issue http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/bi...part/BC-056285.

Quick Reply: New 07 Nightster Owner