Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a not so new roadster.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:30 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Nice that you apparently also got the original seat (looks better IMO), but have the "Sundowner" when more comfort is needed for you and maybe an additional person

Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

My son who can't stand Harleys, and says nice things about mine to make me feel good, sat on the new Roadster at the dealership the other day, and instantly fell in love. Now he just needs to be older, so he can afford insurance and the bike.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:07 PM
aperdue
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Can't tell for sure from the picture angles, but they don't look like the stock bars to me. Let us know what you change to, and pics too, please!
They are not stock, they are the ones that are damn near straight across. I am thinking either some Biltwell Chumps or Lick's 8" super narrow apes. Trying to get away without having to buy extended lines.

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Nice that you apparently also got the original seat (looks better IMO), but have the "Sundowner" when more comfort is needed for you and maybe an additional person
I have been trying to find that seat online, thanks for giving me the name, I finally found it. I am probably going to sell it to pay for some other mods. My wife refuses to ride. It also came with a QD sissy bar and a smaller HD branded windshield I will be getting rid of also. I know what you mean about looking better. That was the first thing I did when I got home was to put the original back on

Last edited by aperdue; 09-17-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Awesome! the Roadster is the best platform to start from IMHO, great brakes great handling and the best motor color combination.
Bought mine new in 2007 and have never found anything I want more, love the color too, mine's the same blue but with the antique white insert in the tank.
"The only thing I plan on changing is the bars" HA HA, remember this quote, I bet within a year you have changed at least 20 things I said the same thing and over time have changed almost everything! Most of the stuff I've done have been free or very cheap like chopped the fender to get rid of the gorky tail light and plate mount, lowered the headlight and gauges, removed reflectors and belt guards, added drag bars, painted the side covers, installed air shocks etc.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:19 PM
aperdue
Intermediate

Just made a deal on here for a set of zeds, we will see how they work out. Hoping I will be able to see my speedo and tach ok, the bars are pretty narrow. We will see

Old 09-17-2016, 04:57 PM
tennmoto
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Orange and white is great for Tn

Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM
aperdue
Intermediate

Well, just put the zeds on and it is good and bad. The one thing I was worried about was being able to see the gauges, and it looks like that is pretty much a non issue. They are a little obstructed, but still usable. The bad is that now the turn signals are against the headlight, so looks like I will have to relocate them. As you can see, the right grip has about an inch before it is completely on there. It will work for now until I can relocate the signals.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 PM
aperdue
Intermediate

Started doing some blacking out. I am not a fan of chrome, and love the look of Irons, so kind of going in that direction. Started like this:

After changing seat and bars, and powdercoating the breather cover "Harley Flat Black" and the headlight bezel and visor "Ink Black" :

I plan on still doing the levers, foot controls and chrome on the tail all in "Ink Black." Also want to do something with the heat shields, not sure what yet

The following users liked this post:
kingxirol (09-27-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks better...now get those reflectors off, looks too "DOT" approved!

Quick Reply: New guy with a not so new roadster.