Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes wont shift to neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 PM
DanDanTheFireman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sometimes wont shift to neutral

Im starting to have an issue where I roll to a stop, and my 2012 Nightster will not shift into neutral. I can slam the shifter and still nothing will happen. Obviously I havent done that but it feels stuck. Then when the bike is off, it will shift no problem. Any help?

Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

A sportster will most likely not shift more than a gear while stopped.

Now if you stopped while in first or second gear, and cant find the neutral thats another story, and probably bad news.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:53 PM
DanDanTheFireman
Novice

Originally Posted by Derf_
A sportster will most likely not shift more than a gear while stopped.

Now if you stopped while in first or second gear, and cant find the neutral thats another story, and probably bad news.
Yea, thats the issue. I'll be slowing down and be in second. It will shift to first, then i'll try for neutral. No dice. It's intermittent though.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is all your maintenance up to date? Any maintenance items coming up? Maybe adjust the clutch and primary chain and see where that gets you. Is it the stock clutch? How many miles on the bike?

Old 09-26-2016, 12:55 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like a dragging clutch. Probably just needs a clutch adjustment, for which you'll need a 1/2" wrench, a 9/16" wrench, a T27 Torx bit and ratchet, a flathead screwdriver, and a means of keeping the bike upright while you adjust it. A 2x4 under the kickstand will work just fine if you're careful.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Dan I've been riding almost 50 years and Harleys for most of that. The simple solution is to work your way down the gears, so as you come to a stop you snick into neutral. It isn't always possible to get into neutral while still moving, but I am normally in first gear when I stop. I cannot persuade my dear wife to do that , so she has a similar problem as you describe, when riding our Sporty. There's nothing wrong with our bike, as it always goes into neutral when I ride it!

It is worth checking your clutch adjustment, as long as you use the correct procedure (don't guess!), which may ease things a little.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 PM
DanDanTheFireman
Novice

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
Sounds like a dragging clutch. Probably just needs a clutch adjustment, for which you'll need a 1/2" wrench, a 9/16" wrench, a T27 Torx bit and ratchet, a flathead screwdriver, and a means of keeping the bike upright while you adjust it. A 2x4 under the kickstand will work just fine if you're careful.
Originally Posted by grbrown
Dan I've been riding almost 50 years and Harleys for most of that. The simple solution is to work your way down the gears, so as you come to a stop you snick into neutral. It isn't always possible to get into neutral while still moving, but I am normally in first gear when I stop. I cannot persuade my dear wife to do that , so she has a similar problem as you describe, when riding our Sporty. There's nothing wrong with our bike, as it always goes into neutral when I ride it!

It is worth checking your clutch adjustment, as long as you use the correct procedure (don't guess!), which may ease things a little.
Thanks everyone! I will look into this

Old 09-27-2016, 01:44 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition to shifting down through the gears as was mentioned...what type of lubrication are you running in the tranny??? And I recommend Mobile 1 in the tranny.....that chit is good with the gears and clutch.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:06 AM
DanDanTheFireman
Novice

Originally Posted by SportyPig
In addition to shifting down through the gears as was mentioned...what type of lubrication are you running in the tranny??? And I recommend Mobile 1 in the tranny.....that chit is good with the gears and clutch.
I just changed my primary oil. I forgot the weights. It was having the issue before, and it is still having it

Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it's normal that when the bike is stopped, it might not go into neutral. Just move the bike forward a few inches and it will. I usually get it into neutral just before the bike comes to a complete stop, never have problems.

Quick Reply: Sometimes wont shift to neutral