Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake rotors and stuff

Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Rear brake rotors and stuff

So, I'm in the process of figuring out what the hell to do.
Absolutely fed up with the squeal from my rear brakes, so I'm running a warranty ticket through to get me some store credit...

Tell me, link me, whatever, what aftermarket rear rotor will fit with the stock caliper setup. I know it's a shot in the dark and few will know or have an idea, I'm about five more catalog flips away from just calling EBC and asking them. So of course I figured I'd ask around first

Old 09-29-2016, 07:10 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Why do you think it's the rotor. Squeal is normally related to brake pads. Perhaps pads and caliper need to be cleaned.

Check this thread...almost same title
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ighlight=Hscic

Delboy garage also has some good vids on brakes
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...&hsimp=yhs-004

If you are asking about rotor replacement, please let us know.

Last edited by hscic; 09-30-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHHMF
So, I'm in the process of figuring out what the hell to do.
Absolutely fed up with the squeal from my rear brakes, so I'm running a warranty ticket through to get me some store credit...

Tell me, link me, whatever, what aftermarket rear rotor will fit with the stock caliper setup. I know it's a shot in the dark and few will know or have an idea, I'm about five more catalog flips away from just calling EBC and asking them. So of course I figured I'd ask around first
Ebc+lyndall all day. But what is this squeal like? Could you put some caliper grease on your pads before making any ra$h decision$?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If this is your new R I would lean on the dealer and their service department. As pointed out squeal is normally associated with pads. As for a new rotor the stock ones are fine, as are EBC, but I wouldn't personally buy Lyndall.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If this is your new R I would lean on the dealer and their service department. As pointed out squeal is normally associated with pads. As for a new rotor the stock ones are fine, as are EBC, but I wouldn't personally buy Lyndall.
Whatcha' got against Lyndall? I understand them to be a very good pad. I haven't used them myself (yet), but have been leaning towards them.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:17 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
he is the service department, he is the service writer at his dealer.

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Whatcha' got against Lyndall? I understand them to be a very good pad. I haven't used them myself (yet), but have been leaning towards them.
he's convinced that lyndall never has stock. it's not true. may have been at a point in time but not currently. nev

i've never had a single issue getting pads. between my 3 bikes i have bought 9 sets of lyndall pads.

i swear by ebc rotors for the rear. you can just feel the quality.

ebc goodness:
but, this squeal may just be metal to metal. caliper grease may fix. to be honest the new sporty r comes with really nice rotors.

Last edited by cvaria; 09-30-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Thumper26
They have an excellent reputation around HDF, but when they run out of stock it can take them months to restock. I wanted three rotors and matching pads and gave up after a few months, as they had no stock and no info on when they could supply. As well as a stock problem they also have a near zero comms problem! That becomes a particular problem when their special rotors need special pads.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,073 Posts

My guess would be the pads and not the rotors. Those new pads have that thin metal backing and it could be vibrating when braking.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Davemac122383
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did front and rear Lyndall gold pads on my 05 883c and it made a huge difference in stopping power. I did also add SS brakelines, new fluid, and a rear master brake cylinder rebuild so those things probally help too. I've always heard great things about all the Lyndall pads for our sporty's so thats why I went with them.

I've heard that the rear caliper and pads can give squeeling noise if the caliper isnt locked into the clip on the swing arm correctly and the caliper bolt doesnt line up correctly and allow the caliper to be in the proper position and allow the caliper to work properly. I've heard that pulling the caliper and re-installing it correctly can help remedy the issue.

Good luck.