Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

grbrown: That would be GR8!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is an irony in that the engine which became... a custom slob.

Brings a 305kg bike to 60 in 3.5 sec. Yeah. A real slob. Such a shame. A sports bike engine modified to become part of one of the fastest cruisers.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Derf_
Brings a 305kg bike to 60 in 3.5 sec. Yeah. A real slob. Such a shame. A sports bike engine modified to become part of one of the fastest cruisers.
It was initially intended to go in the 170kg Firebolt, which would blow away that slob!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Springman65
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just think its time to update the Sportster and keep it current - the tech leap in the M8 is applicable to the Sportster and would make it consistent with the new Twin and thus keep the Sportster line current . I know some do not like change and fear newer tech on new Sportsters would mean a different road to travel possibly. But, I think adapting the Sportster to the 4 valves and such would keep the Sportster "INTERESTING" and keep it endearing to possibly some of us old folks with open minds...and possibly a newer generation as well......

Springman

The following users liked this post:
Stoneycreek (12-13-2017)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:35 AM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Springman65
I just think its time to update the Sportster and keep it current - the tech leap in the M8 is applicable to the Sportster and would make it consistent with the new Twin and thus keep the Sportster line current . I know some do not like change and fear newer tech on new Sportsters would mean a different road to travel possibly. But, I think adapting the Sportster to the 4 valves and such would keep the Sportster "INTERESTING" and keep it endearing to possibly some of us old folks with open minds...and possibly a newer generation as well......

Springman
This +1

Plus, it's not like there is a shortage of used Sportsters for the 2 valve enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The reason Harley still sells half of the motorcycles sold in North America has nothing to do with new technology.

I work in the industry, the shop I work in sells Triumph, Aprillia, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, Norton and Kawasaki. I've test ridden just about everything. I own a Rocket III, 145 hp, 147 ft lbs of torque. A Harley can't even compete with it in it's wet dreams.

None of those bikes communicate to me in the same way my Harley does. The reason we ride Harley-Davidson is the same today as it was a hundred years ago. No amount of technology will change that. The only reason the big twin was redesigned was to comply with Euro 4 and EPA regulations. The new engine won't really change the rider's experience.

"old folks with open minds", seriously? It has nothing to do with an open mind. What they should do is keep the 1200cc, go 4 valve heads, water cooling, better suspension and brakes and call it V-Rod.

Last edited by saddleupmc; 10-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
Default My two cents.

Originally Posted by Springman65
I just think its time to update the Sportster and keep it current - .........
I am in the odd position of disagreement and agreement of that statement. Both sides have points, here's mine. This may be long winded.

Let's use the Jeep for an analogy.
I have owned one of every generation of Jeep ever made ,(spanning 1948-2004) with the exception of the 87-95 abominations with square headlights. What made Jeep an awesome vehicle, to those who loved it, was the fact it was a street legal tractor. Simple, uncomplicated, tractor. Starting in the 80s there where complaints of rollovers, rough ride, lack of amenities, etc.
What changed?
Not the core user of the Jeep, but the addition of people who wanted the "image" of Jeep, but didn't know how to operate them safely, and complained about it. In steps Chrysler seeking not to keep the core user, but expand the user market by creating a lower, wider, square lighted, street friendlier POS.

97 brought about a redesign back to core values, (off road capability), so I bought back in. 2004 I got a Rubicon edition, which IMO, was the last real Jeep made. Previously mentioned market expansion, brought about the version currently produced, being a station wagon with oversized tires DVD player and a minivan motor.

I want the Sportster to remain rooted to the idea of a simple, bare bones fun bike, but I fear that the market pressures (and the EPA)will result in the a bike that doesn't.

I ran across a guy last year on a bike stuck in the middle of nowhere with fob issues, in an area with no phone on a Sunday afternoon. I had to ride to the next town and call a flatbed for him. FOR A MECHANICALLY FINE BIKE.

No I am not stating we all need kickonly carbed bikes. Some advancements enhance the ride experience while retaining simplicity, and ease of maintenance.

I really don't care, though, as I will still be able to build a Sportster with aftermarket parts for what will probably be the rest of my life.

My two cents.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
I ran across a guy last year on a bike stuck in the middle of nowhere with fob issues, in an area with no phone on a Sunday afternoon. I had to ride to the next town and call a flatbed for him. FOR A MECHANICALLY FINE BIKE.
No excuses. If you have a security bike, know your PIN. There's no reason a person who can own a Harley can't read his owner's manual.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (10-24-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHHMF
No excuses. If you have a security bike, know your PIN. There's no reason a person who can own a Harley can't read his owner's manual.
He had both manual and PIN in saddlebag. I ran through with him, my best guess this was the odd occurrence of a fatal glitch.

On the security issue, though, here's my opinion.

They didn't re-engineer horses to prevent thievery.
They re-engineered the thieves (often permanently).

Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
I am in the odd position of disagreement and agreement of that statement. Both sides have points, here's mine. This may be long winded.

Let's use the Jeep for an analogy.
I have owned one of every generation of Jeep ever made ,(spanning 1948-2004) with the exception of the 87-95 abominations with square headlights. What made Jeep an awesome vehicle, to those who loved it, was the fact it was a street legal tractor. Simple, uncomplicated, tractor. Starting in the 80s there where complaints of rollovers, rough ride, lack of amenities, etc.
What changed?
Not the core user of the Jeep, but the addition of people who wanted the "image" of Jeep, but didn't know how to operate them safely, and complained about it. In steps Chrysler seeking not to keep the core user, but expand the user market by creating a lower, wider, square lighted, street friendlier POS.

97 brought about a redesign back to core values, (off road capability), so I bought back in. 2004 I got a Rubicon edition, which IMO, was the last real Jeep made. Previously mentioned market expansion, brought about the version currently produced, being a station wagon with oversized tires DVD player and a minivan motor.

I want the Sportster to remain rooted to the idea of a simple, bare bones fun bike, but I fear that the market pressures (and the EPA)will result in the a bike that doesn't.

No I am not stating we all need kickonly carbed bikes. Some advancements enhance the ride experience while retaining simplicity, and ease of maintenance.

I really don't care, though, as I will still be able to build a Sportster with aftermarket parts for what will probably be the rest of my life.

My two cents.
If it dosent have leaf springs, 2 doors and a manual trans it isn't a jeep. The sportster has been the same evo top end for way too long. The shorter rear shocks now are anything but sporty. Make the sportster actually a sporty, barebones, minimalist ride and young people will buy. Every time harley attempts they half *** it. The xr1200 was less power than a Buell and 2k more expensive. The vrod was a pig when it came out. Way to rip off yamahas vmax. Sorry I owned a 95 Jeep abomination. The one with the same body as a cj7 just different grill. Hahaha

Last edited by Yamaharley; 10-21-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?