Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:50 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts
Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not against new and modern designs. Harley has the Street with all of the modern necessities. Build 900cc and 1200 cc versions of the Street and leave the Sportster mostly alone.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Continuous improvement... Yea from 58-03... Mabye 04 if you count the buell designed xl1200 heads. Sportys finally went from 55hp to a measly 70. What did the rubbermounts give us to make a more sporty motorcycle? Less shock travel for one. Less corning clearance. Today's sporty is built for looks, that's about it. If harley wants YOUNG buyers all I'm asking for is; 100hp, a 6 speed, and a lighter for flickable motorcycle. The vrod could have been. But we all know why the vrod motor didn't pass for buells 1125cr, too heavy, not enough power. Harley gives us the bare minimum and it's bullshit. Look at the xr1200. 2k dollars MORE than a buell but it handled worse and made less power. No YOUNG person spends an extra 2k on a name... The Times they are a changin'

Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 PM
hexnut
Banned

So sounds like you won't be in the market for a new Sportster. That's OK, that's why they make the other bikes. Different strokes for different folks. Deal with it.

The following users liked this post:
JayTee2015 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

That's just it!! I really miss my old sportster. But if I get a new one, it has to be one hell of a motorcycle. One that can compete in a growing segment of 800-1200cc bikes. After my sportster I was spoiled with a x1 lightning. 100hp out of a sportster motor(was an 01) was incredible. It had a race kit and i had a grin every time I got on that bike. Handled like a dream.
But those are gone now... And yes the new fuel in the frame ones were even better! I get so pissed when I see harley mugs, and dog shirts... Don't make a ****ing motorcycle. Cater to the baby boomers... Its gonna bite them.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
. Cater to the baby boomers... Its gonna bite them.
it already has. that's why you are seeing all these new bikes and departures from the old formula. hd has been loosing ground. hd does have a foot hold on the culture... that is what is keeping the party going, the hillbillies talking jibberish, and the aftermarket healthy.

i was pretty close to buying a bmw k1600 gtl insteadof another harley after the wreck but, i went right back to hd after all the shucking and jiving. i like the modding. bmw... modding... ? unless its an r-nine t, no. but man... the hp and tech on that k 1600 is no joke.

truth is the older folks have the money... what they say kinda goes.

i was in va recently and saw some older chick on a slim s and i nearly had an accident. hottest this ive seen on wheels, the bike too.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:43 PM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a pretty big assumption that young people purchasing motorcycles today are going to stick with motorcycling. And by young I mean millennials. I make a living selling motorcycles. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of young people buying motorcycles today are buying fashion accessories. They won't make the purchase unless they get a pic of themselves sitting on the machine and have everyone like it on their fb page. They spend more time picking out the clothing to go with the bike than they do the actual bike. You have the look the part. The actual performance of the bike is secondary, the look is primary.

10 years ago I worked in the bicycle industry and dealt with these same younger people. Instead of being in their 30's they were in their 20's and were buying the fashion accessory of the time a fixed gear bicycle. How times did you see a hipster kid walking down the street pushing their bicycle with their pedals turning. The bike may as well have been a purse. Where are these kids now? Where is the fixed gear scene now? It's completely dead and they've moved on to motorcycles.

What's it's going to be in their 40's? It will be the next hip fashion statement. Triumph's marketing is geared 100% towards millennials. I believe it's going to bite them. Obviously there are exceptions. People that come to sites like this are enthusiasts. A lot of people buying motorcycles today are not. How do I know? I meet them everyday.

Last edited by saddleupmc; 10-28-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:07 PM
hexnut
Banned
Old 10-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

As a millennial(26) I agree. But who hasn't bought a bike without sitting on it and going "honey, how do I look?". Has technology changes yes. Now people ask that on the internet. But my dad in his 50s is on Facebook and online posting pictures more than I am. I don't have a Facebook haha.

You will always have fads and products designed for a certain customer. Look at soa and t bars. Look at fairings for dynas. One existed before soa. Now there's dozens.

I find it funny the kids I tried to get into riding when we were 16 who were adamant against it, now want to try. Because of triumph, and the bolt, and others. I wish my friends liked Harley as much as I do but there is a huge difference... I grew up around Harleys, they did not. To them it's an overpriced, underbuilt in terms of the street line, motorcycle.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

look at this info closely. US vs World

the euro market has particular tastes, that's why they kept the xr1200/x longer than the us

Quick Reply: So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?