Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
I read a lot of comments about Sportsters not being suitable for 2 up.
What is it that makes them unsuitable,we ride 2 up on a FatBob all the time,usually 350-450 miles a day,with a Sundowner seat & the dimensions of the Sportster Sundowner are the same as the Dyna.
I'm not arguing the case we've never ridden a Sportster 2 up,i'm just curious what makes them unsuitable,because i intend to trade our FatBob for a Sportster,soon as i get a deal.
You will find several members in here who ride two up, even a few photos of them. I've been on a two week holiday 2-up on a 250cc in the past, so a Sporty is sheer bloomin' luxury, by contrast!

What makes them more suitable for 2-up riding is much the same as for a Touring model, namely a decent 2-up seat and better than stock suspension. Add to that better quality tyres, when replacement time comes around, and you're all set. Just be prepared to make your favourite passenger the most important person on the bike and don't go penny pinching!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you Gentlemen.
The reason for my interest in a Sportster is primarily the weight saving from the FatBob,
I'm/we're getting old(some would say we're already old).
Mr Brown,you have just about typed in my feelings about 2 up on a Sportster,or any other bike & my passenger is always the same one & has been for more than 50 years of riding bikes.
I also agree with your 250 experience,our first bike when I was 16,was a Puch 175 SV,which we rode 2 up as far & as often as we could afford.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben
Hi all.
I've gotten back into riding since maybe 8 years ago or so.
After re-starting my motorcycle carreer on a starter 250cc metric, I went on to a BMW 1200; after that, I got a Sport Touring Kawi 1400 which schared the $h¡+ out of me, and finally landed on my beautiful FLHRC. Been enjoying riding her for the last 4 years.
Life goes on and, after a couple of personal ups and downs, which implied changing residence a couple of times, I currently don't get to do a lot of touring, in fact, I probably racked less than 1k miles on my Harley this season (which isn't exactly over, but you get the point).
I'm sad to see my bike in the garage when I leave for work, but don't really get to take her to work often, since it's only a 15 mile commute and it seems a little short to get all geared up for. Plus traffic is hell.
Anyway, I'm considering trading the old girl in, for a new(er) sportster.
Reasons?
1. Chance to get a new(er) bike and probably some upgrades without forking out cash out of pocket;
2. Smaller, more fuel efficient bike that would be more suited to DD duty; and
3. Always did love the sportster line, specially the iron 883.
To all you Sporty riders out there, what, if any, would be your observations on this potential move.
Thanks in advance for your $.02

Ben
I recently did the same. Just got tired of the extra top heaviness and bells and whistles. I had a 2010 Ultra Classic. In 2014 I went into the dealer to trade it for a Vrod or a Sportster. Sat on a Slim and the fit was perfect for my short legs. Rode it for a couple years, put a fairing on it, a big butt seat, sissy bar etc. The only down fall of that bike was the floorboards were constantly scraping and the 103 vibrated more than my 88cube in my 03 Fatboy.

I traded the Slim in for a 2016 Roadster and am glad I did. I like the lightness and nimbleness of the Roadster but it's not a two up bike.
I still have my Fatboy for around town two up and a Victory Vision for when we get serious.

If you can I suggest keeping the FLH for two up and buy a used Sporty. Right now used bike sales are in the crapper so your probably not going to get what you want for your FLH and you can buy a used Sportster for a $2500-$5000 depending on what your looking for.
Best of both worlds.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:06 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a sportster roadster (05) , FXDX and Roadking. The sporty and a dyna both have sundowner seats, the same backrest and interchangeable QR windshields. The Sporty has touring take off air shocks. It is hands down my wife's favorite bike for 2 up touring. No difference in comfort, just power above Midwest legal speed limits.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 AM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Sportsters are great bikes, I have had two, I don't ride it often, only done about 3K miles on it last year, I use my Honda X-11 or Fireblade for touring believe it or not, I pull the sportster out for rides to my clubhouse or on hot days, don't want to ruin it in the bad weather. I will be getting another big twin eventually for long mileage tours, but I would still keep the sportster in the garage.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
flstci
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went from an 04 Heritage to an 05 Sportster 1200c . Still have a 82 FLH but don't ride it much. No regrets...

Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well... I did it.
After [not much] careful consideration, last Saturday I traded in my '11 FLHRC for a brand new [to me] XL883N 2016 Iron 883, with 150 miles on the clock.
I went to the dealership and took a test ride on a Forty Eight, and then on the Iron.
I was sold. I must say the Iron is by no means underpowered, as many claim. Just my opinion. Also, during my test ride i scraped the pegs quite often, which means that the handling is confidence inspiring [to me] and the lighter frame and ergos were all I could ask for and exactly what I was looking for.
Earlier that morning, I rode a couple of other bikes, metrics. All very nice, but there's just something about an HD that keeps me coming back for more.
Plus, considering all the aftermarket options out there, I believe I'll start by adding a full system exhaust, tuner, air intake, and take it from there. The added power should more than suffice my commuting and short trip needs.
Thank you all for your informed opinions, they made a difference in my decision making process, to say the least.
Now, to uncork the thing, and start making it my own.
Again, thank you all so much.

Stay cool, ride safe.

B

Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer

Congratulations on the new ride.
Enjoy. ��

Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer

Double post

Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I will never be without a Sporty. I have taken them on several 2K multi day tours and on 4K tour. Put over 40K on them collectively. They always got me home without issue. Handle, track, stable in strong cross winds and simply a pleasure to ride. I have had four of them and a Buell XB version. The only one that I let go was an 11 XL1200C as I traded it on a 14 Super Low 14 XL1200T.

The latest is a 16 Roadster which is a good of a riders bike as any.

I am biased toward Sportsters as I learned on smaller bikes when I first started riding in March of 1956 over 60 years ago. My collection has as many touring bikes but the Sportsters get favored.

Do I think that it is a trade down to go to one. No! It is just a different ride not a downgrade in any respect.

My 03 Roadster 883 is at the top of my list for riding also. As much power as needed for Interstate riding and great handling.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-24-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster