Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:17 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben
Well... I did it.
After [not much] careful consideration, last Saturday I traded in my '11 FLHRC for a brand new [to me] XL883N 2016 Iron 883, with 150 miles on the clock.
I went to the dealership and took a test ride on a Forty Eight, and then on the Iron.
I was sold. I must say the Iron is by no means underpowered, as many claim. Just my opinion. Also, during my test ride i scraped the pegs quite often, which means that the handling is confidence inspiring [to me] and the lighter frame and ergos were all I could ask for and exactly what I was looking for.
Earlier that morning, I rode a couple of other bikes, metrics. All very nice, but there's just something about an HD that keeps me coming back for more.
Plus, considering all the aftermarket options out there, I believe I'll start by adding a full system exhaust, tuner, air intake, and take it from there. The added power should more than suffice my commuting and short trip needs.
Thank you all for your informed opinions, they made a difference in my decision making process, to say the least.
Now, to uncork the thing, and start making it my own.
Again, thank you all so much.

Stay cool, ride safe.

B
A pic or it didn't happen.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had my Sportster about seven years and I bought a Fatboy back in April. I didn't move up. I got a bike that was better suited for different type of riding. You aren't trading down. You're trading for well founded reasons.

Last edited by motohaid; 10-26-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:30 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

I sold my 05 Ultra and a 95 1500 Goldwing and went to my Dyna. Don't miss either as getting older and slightly weaker and I figure for the most part my LONG distance days are over. I can easily do 4-500 a day on the Dyna if need be.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Do what you gotta do; that's all there is to it. Me personally, I don't think I'll ever trade down until I'm too old to muster my Street Glide around. That said I ride the Wife's Vulcan 900 on short rides, & will get her a Sportster again when she's ready & the finances are there. Which will be nice for me, as I'll want to ride her bike too lol.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Phlipper
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't trade any of my big irons on it, but picked up a like new 72 cheap. I've been on my RK for one weekend - long club run up the coast - since I got the Sporty. I love this little thing. Handles like my Buell, probably faster than my 103 and 96 once Stage 1 complete, and just looks cool as hell. I'm likely going to pick up a second one when I run across another deal since my old lady loves it too. She hasn't been on her Victory bagger since we bought the Gremlin .

Old 10-29-2016, 07:09 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Just because it is a smaller, lighter, less expensive bike doesn't necessarily mean trading down.
I'm a littled biased when it comes to Sportsters if no one could tell. I've owned more than one since the 70's and now I have a Fatboy to but would never give up my Sportster.

Last edited by motohaid; 10-29-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:39 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't reflect upon my original post topic that much and feel the need to clarify; it's not that I feel that I've traded "down" as in going from a great motorcycle to a lesser motorcycle, by any measure. I meant it just as to the sheer size of one bike vs the other.
"Down" not to mean downgrade, just down in size, weight, cost to operate, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm TOTALLY cool with my swap, and feel, as other have mentioned, that i'm now on a bike that BETTER suits my current riding scenario. So all's cool.

I'm attaching the only picture I have of the bike, taken in the dealership parking lot.
As you can see, it's plain Jane, bone stock all the way [for now].

Planning on starting the uncorking process ASAP, since winter probably won't hinder my riding much [Cali perk].

Thanks for all your comments and input.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:27 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben

keyless, watch out. some folks will try to tell you you need to use the keyed ignition to turn off your keyless bike, lol.

i like the wrinkle black integrated top clamp/gauge holder.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats, enjoy the Iron.. I feel the same on power with mine, perfect to commute. The Iron ergos are excellent, I did put forwards on mine since i'm 6 foot but that's it!

Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I would love to own the new roadster and a street glide. perfect for both things I would want to do

The following users liked this post:
load97 (11-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster