Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster

Hi all.
I've gotten back into riding since maybe 8 years ago or so.
After re-starting my motorcycle carreer on a starter 250cc metric, I went on to a BMW 1200; after that, I got a Sport Touring Kawi 1400 which schared the $h¡+ out of me, and finally landed on my beautiful FLHRC. Been enjoying riding her for the last 4 years.
Life goes on and, after a couple of personal ups and downs, which implied changing residence a couple of times, I currently don't get to do a lot of touring, in fact, I probably racked less than 1k miles on my Harley this season (which isn't exactly over, but you get the point).
I'm sad to see my bike in the garage when I leave for work, but don't really get to take her to work often, since it's only a 15 mile commute and it seems a little short to get all geared up for. Plus traffic is hell.
Anyway, I'm considering trading the old girl in, for a new(er) sportster.
Reasons?
1. Chance to get a new(er) bike and probably some upgrades without forking out cash out of pocket;
2. Smaller, more fuel efficient bike that would be more suited to DD duty; and
3. Always did love the sportster line, specially the iron 883.
To all you Sporty riders out there, what, if any, would be your observations on this potential move.
Thanks in advance for your $.02

Ben

Old 10-19-2016, 05:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Sportys are a LOT of fun, and with a little effort that can be just as comfortable as a Touring model (1 up).

You are close to the optimum time of year to find a great deal on a barely used Sporty.

One thing to consider, many who get an 883 end up wanting more power.

So the choices are an 883 and if you want more power, then a 1250 upgrade kit, or just start out with a 1200.

Below is a vid of my 883 upgraded with a NRHS 1250 kit.

You can do a lot with a Sporty, it is a great canvas.

Here are a couple of links to what we've done with Sportys. We just got back from 1000 miles riding on them in the Smokies.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-makeover.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
jlb2782 (10-19-2016), skypeace (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Go for it.. I've done that switch twice from an 08 Street Glide to an 09 Custom and them from a 12 Street Glide to a 13 Iron... sold the Iron for a Street Bob but missed the Iron so much I'm back on a 15 Iron... which for me is still an 883, I just commute to work nowadays mostly and have a young one so weekends are mostly family these days... Sportster platform is perfect bike for my current needs.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Backinblack83
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccam26
Go for it.. I've done that switch twice from an 08 Street Glide to an 09 Custom and them from a 12 Street Glide to a 13 Iron... sold the Iron for a Street Bob but missed the Iron so much I'm back on a 15 Iron... which for me is still an 883, I just commute to work nowadays mostly and have a young one so weekends are mostly family these days... Sportster platform is perfect bike for my current needs.
so what brought you back to an iron from the street bob?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Let me second the endorsement of an Iron with the NRHS kit. It along with cams, tuner, exhaust and head work make the 883 a lot more fun than a bigger bike. I don't know if mine will wheelie like the one in the video. Could be my bars are too low, or my ***** aren't big enough.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We have a Sporty, which my wife rides mostly and does some touring on. Personally I'm not sure which model I would buy for myself, as they all leave a lot to be desired. H-D compromises too much on making them custom-styled IMHO. Suspension is awful on most Harleys, throughout the range, the Roadster being the only Sporty I suppose I would turn to, but even that has darned silly fenders.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

Well, trading down? Only in resale gross dollars.

Sportsters will do it all.

Your tour bike is great for two up interstate, Sportster is weak for this use, yet will do it.

Commute a Sportster wins! Skinnier, less weight, dare I say perfectly geared for in town and legal highway speed plus just easy to drive. Back pack, luggage rack, saddle bags all optional to carry briefcase or lunch et al can be added easily. Plus no radio which can be a driver distraction and no windshield for that historic biker experience.

Short 15 mile commute, Sportster is perfect. Warm it up in the driveway, don't "push it" for a few miles, then have fun with the balance of the commute.

Fuel capacity can be a concern with in town mileage and 2.5 or 3.5 gallon tank, yet in the OP's intended use this is just an FYI comment from me.

FWIW I kind of use my Sportster as the OP describes. In town errands, short commute to work, occasional freeway trip noting Calif legal lane sharing, riding once a week or so. Biggest issue for me is getting the bike engine and tires to operating temperatures. No failures/ issues in this use.

Lastly vivid black paint job for the win!

Good luck in your decisions.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

As others have mentioned, your trading to suit your riding circumstances. Having said that, that King still makes for a nice commuter. Have you thought about taking the long way into work and perhaps taking new roads for the commute? No matter which bike you use, killer traffic will always be a killer.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

More like trading "across" to a sportster, nothing wrong with trading a Cadillac on a Corvette if that's what you want.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:58 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sportsters are easy to maintain and mod to make it your own...if I can do it, anyone can lol.

Since I also have no time to ride on the weekends because of family, I commute daily about 30 miles to/from work with my bike since bikes can use contra flow lanes with no stop and go traffic...speed limit all the way.

Quick Reply: Trading "down?" from Touring to Sportster