Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Iron XL883N Stock Exhaust Drilled Plugs (Before/After)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:59 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2017 Iron XL883N Stock Exhaust Drilled Plugs (Before/After)

Well I made some videos as promised. First being an entirely stock 2017 Iron XL883N exhaust setup.

Then I did the soft plug drill mod. Everything else the same.

I made the video and at first I was embarrassed to post it, but I figured if anyone has a chirping issue they won't be alone with the problem and know that drilling the plugs out to large of a diameter is supposedly the culprit.

Tools Needed:
-Holesaw 1-1/8" diameter (HOWEVER I wouldn't go anything larger than 1/2")

-6" or 10" extension, the longer the extension the trickier it is to get the front most muffler soft plug drilled out if you leave them on the bike.

-Cored or electric drill, I used a 3/8 arbor. Got everything from Home Depot, its Milwaukee brand. Link below shows pictures of what I purchased.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...53#post5458353

Now, the chirping sound is coming from the rear muffler only. I'm assuming due to the unequal length of the primary pipes and how the oem baffles and catalyst are designed, i'm beginning to assume this is one of the reasons why the soft plugs were installed from the factory, aside to combat noise levels/requirements.

I started off with 1'' diameter hole removed from internal plug. For two days not a sound of chirpy hamster birds from either muffler, then all of a sudden it happens at idle and free rev and increases as RPM does.

She does this chirp sound under free rev/idle at the Rear muffler only.

I checked the heat shields, exhaust seals, mounts, sprayed silicone on mounts etc to try and eliminate variables. And still there.

So its the way the muffler/baffle is designed and i'm sure there are other variables that effect this in the exhaust system and even temperature.

So i'd say either leave it stock or only go 1/2'' drilled plug. OR just save your pennies and get a pair of slip ons or even a full exhaust and be done.

As for the sound, its definitely louder (not obnoxious), deeper tone, and much more enjoyable to listen do while under load running through the gears.

Performance... to be honest, I didn't notice anything at all, especially since there is a fat catalyst jammed up in there with all its nonsense power robbing glory. I live in Florida, zero emissions laws... every vehicle i've owned has had catalyst removed within first few weeks of ownership.

Broken catalyst pieces and exhaust reversion don't mix well.

Overall, I really like the sound and I would do it all over again but with a 1/2'' hole for sure.

If someone has some black oem sportster slip ons used for cheap I wouldn't mind scooping them up as the current ones I have now will be donated to science for further modification.

The oem front pipes will be utilized as a basis to help me build my own new exhaust with a 2-1 Merge collector, this will be a side project.

In summary, I'm ordering Patriot Defender 2-1 tomorrow from Dustin at Pertronix. Then I will work on my new 2-1 side project.

Thanks for reading, sorry for my long winded posts, but thats how I roll.

2017 Iron XL883N Sportster

BEFORE (with Stock Exhaust)

AFTER (with 1-1/8" hole drilled into soft plug, entire plug removed)
Details of the chirp explained in description in video.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:18 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced

Did some more modifications to the factory exhaust this evening and will be posting some videos of it as well.

Tonight, I went a step further, I drilled out the Catalyst using the same 1-1/8" holesaw. I spent a long time deburring, sanding and using a rifle bore cleaning brush to clean any and all debris out of each pipe after modification, as best I could.

Pictures!

Here are some pictures of before and after showing the factory baffle plug installed and them removed in my 2017 Iron 883

In this pic, I used a 1" holesaw and got off center, but its tricky to get the front muffler center with the 10" extension I used. But this is how it looks

Ok so the videos and pics above show how it looks and sounds with the plugs removed only out of stock mufflers.

Now, here are the pictures from tonight when I went a step further and removed 1-1/8'' diameter hole out of the catalyst. The catalyst core length is 2'' if anyone cares.

Also, my buddy gave me his 2015 FXDB 103ci stock mufflers to modify... so i took some pics of length comparisons etc.

-Stock 2017 IRON XL883N black muffler is 20.5" length
-Stock 2015 FXDB (Dyna Street Bob) 103ci chrome muffler is 22" length

*Stock 2017 Iron XL883N exhaust primary tubes are 1-5/8 ID (good for low end/mid range power and matched well for the 883cc cylinder volume, etc.

Catalyst removed, 2'' lenght x 1-1/8" diameter from my 883 stock muffler.

Various pictures during removal of mufflers and heat shields.. I think the stainless turning that goldish color looks cool. Granted I was an offshore pipe welder for a few years so yeah i'm jaded.

Catalyst and plugs removed from the stock 2017 XL883N mufflers.

That should do it, I will be posting a video in this thread tomorrow of the newly modded exhaust.

Also, before anyone asks about emissions etc.. I live in Florida, and we don't have to worry about any of that. Also, these aren't for sale (not that anyone would want either the black or chrome ones) as I plan to make a coffee table out of them.

I'm just doing this for sound, and compounding everything into one thread in order to be as detailed as possible.

As for performance, I ordered the Patriot Defender 2-1 (all black) from Dustin at Pertronix yesterday. Pertronix builds JBA and quite a few other exhaust products as well as other components. I've dealt with Dustin numerous times in the Nissan Titan community, so if anyone wants a recommendation, I would go with him for Patriots.

Also, ordered Bassani 18mm to 12mm AFR sensor adapters.

So everyone, feel free to ask questions, I will answer as soon as possible. And I will be making videos of each exhaust setup.

For future reference, I make long winded posts, so I hope you all like to read.

Enjoy!

Old 10-29-2016, 01:13 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced

Made this video today of my modded exhaust. I have removed the soft plugs completely and drilled out the catalyst on both mufflers using the same 1-1/8'' hole saw. There isn't much bigger holesaw that can go through the stock muffler outlet.

Enjoy!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:43 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I tried this little mod tonight on my ole lady's 2015 1200c. After getting mufflers back on didn't go as well as yours. The bike is very loud. Especially from the front muffler and the front headpipe gets red hot real quick. Like it's running real lean. Not sure what went wrong. Maybe I broke the seal at the head trying to get front muffler off. Not sure. Tomorrow I'm going to switch mufflers front to back and see if the problem follows the muffler.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:32 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced

Does the entire front primary pipe get red hot?

Do you have any pictures by of what exactly you cut out and what you did?

I didn't encounter any problems other than the mild chirp of the rear muffler due to when I drilled the plug out from the wrong end.

When you were taking the mufflers off did you apply any type of wd40 or lubricant around the muffler clamp and let it soak in some as you wiggle the pipe side to side or up and down to let it make its way around the piping?

I used CLP Break Free.

Do you have any other modifications done to the bike?

Sorry to hear that this happend to you man, post up any pictures and further details you have. I'd like to help you find a solution since I didn't encounter any of these issues.

Pull the mufflers back off and inspect, could be something collapsed or blockage, also a leak, or AFR mix issue due to the aformentioned.

Pull the front plug as well just to inspect.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

I did the same with a 1 1/8" hole saw from both ends. Didn't take any pictures but results looked about the same as yours. It may be next weekend before I get a chance to look at it again. Hopefully just something simple. BTW the mufflers came off much easier than they do on my Road King. But the bike only has less than 900 miles on it.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:22 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced

Strange... it's either a leak or blockage somehow.

Once I get my Patriot Defender installed when it gets here I will sell you my black oem ones I have now for cheap. If you want to do that as an option.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

I believe I'm going to buy her a set of the new Rinehart slip ons before spring. I did the mod on the stock mufflers because it was cheap.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 AM
JauntyBishop
Advanced

Did you ever find out what the culprit was to your issue of the front muffler/primary pipe?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Haven't had a chance to get back to it. Will probably be this weekend before I'll have time.

Quick Reply: 2017 Iron XL883N Stock Exhaust Drilled Plugs (Before/After)