Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Timing Mark on Pinion Gear: 1993 XL1200

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:41 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts
Default No Timing Mark on Pinion Gear: 1993 XL1200

I'll get right to it.

1993 XL1200

I'm rebuilding the top end and doing some cosmetic improvements to the cases and covers.

Two cam gears came out when I pulled the gear case cover. I thought, no big deal.

I pulled the cam gears and checked them for wear, etc...
When I went back to install the cam gears, I realized that there was no timing mark on my pinion gear.

There should be a timing notch on one of the teeth to get all the cam gears back in alignment when installing. But there is no timing notch on my pinion gear.

The service manual says that the timing notch is on the tooth that is center line of the key way on the pinion gear shaft. This is to make alignment of the pinion gear with the key easier when installing the pinion gear on the shaft.

So I assume the tooth that is centerline on the key way is the proper tooth to use for aligning the cam gears but without a timing notch on that tooth, I don't have a 100% confidence factor.

Anyone have experience with a pinion gear that does not have a timing mark on it?

I've attached closeup pictures below at full size. I used a Sharpie to mark the tooth that is centerline on the keyway, but I assure you that mark was made by me. There is absolutely NO notch or other distinguishing marks on any of the pinion gear teeth.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:15 AM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 516 Likes on 259 Posts

So long as the tooth you're using is the one that lines up to the key notch, you're good to go.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aswracing
So long as the tooth you're using is the one that lines up to the key notch, you're good to go.
That's what the service manual says so I aligned it that way. I'm just a bit perplexed that I have (maybe) the ONLY pinion gear in the world without a timing mark on it.

That lack of a timing mark keeps me from being 100% comfortable with the alignment I have.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:46 AM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 516 Likes on 259 Posts

This isn't unique to you. In fact, there are guys who have opened up their cam box, only to discover no timing marks at all on any of the cams.

A guy reported this once on the XLF, and another guy chimed in and told the poor guy it was absolutely impossible to install cams without marks. I then explained to him how to do it

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Well, that's reassuring then. =)

At least the cam gears had marks on all of them.

I have to admit, when I began reading about the sizing with the yellow dot, red dot, black dot, etc... markings, and the fitting of cam gears, and all the other info, I got a bit nervous. All I had really wanted to do was get a visual check of the gears, put a new (non leaking) gasket, and paint the cover.

Then when I saw no timing mark on the pinion gear I turned the shop lights off and went in the house for a beer. =O

Old 11-23-2016, 03:16 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I just pulled the cam cover off my 2014. Waiting on 560 cams from Hammer. It has marks on every thing. I have the top end off, no pistons. When I turn the rear wheel or pinion gear its notchy, like it does not turn smooth but stops on notches. May be hard to time this way.

Last edited by hexnut; 11-23-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:40 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I just pulled the cam cover off my 2014. Waiting on 560 cams from Hammer. It has marks on every thing. I have the top end off, no pistons. When I turn the rear wheel or pinion gear its notchy, like it does not turn smooth but stops on notches. May be hard to time this way.
I had the luck to get a set of cams that all had the timing marks on them. UNFORTUNATELY, the #3 cam was marked 180* out. It can happen during manufacturing when the cam gear is pressed onto the shaft. Now I eyeball the lobe and mark location on the old cams and compare it to the new cams.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:43 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hexnut
Interesting. I've got my engine on the bench and haven't noticed this.

Since the cam gears also seat in the bushings in the gear case cover, I suspect a smooth mesh might not happen when turning the engine over without the cover on.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:50 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
I had the luck to get a set of cams that all had the timing marks on them. UNFORTUNATELY, the #3 cam was marked 180* out. It can happen during manufacturing when the cam gear is pressed onto the shaft. Now I eyeball the lobe and mark location on the old cams and compare it to the new cams.
I've put car engines in time based on camshaft position and TDC marks but I'm not sure how that translates onto a Sporty.

The flywheel marks don't seem to have any point on the case to align with.

This is all pretty new to me so I'll do a whole lot more research, manual reading and hands on trial and error.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Its notchy without the cams in it?

Quick Reply: No Timing Mark on Pinion Gear: 1993 XL1200