Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guard Install?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 PM
TyesonAnthony
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Guard Install?

Hello! I bought a 2016 Iron 883 this Sunday. The first thing I figured I should add is an engine guard for that little bit of extra protection in the unfortunate event of me dropping the bike, as I'm fairly new to riding.

The local dealership wanted a bit much for installation, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knew the specifics of putting one on.
From just eyeballing the bike, it looks like I'll have to detach the horn and bolt it back on top of the guard.

Do you think this installation is easy or are there any other things I should know or extra steps I should take?
Thanks in adance.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah Its real easy. Should not be a problem. I put one on mine and did not have any issues.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome aboard Tyeson!! It was an easy job on my 04 XL1200C, I needed a torx socket for my upper bolts, I reused the ones that were there on the engine mount. I bought a used guard so lower bolts werent included. I assume you are buying new for a new bike so you will probably get instructions too. You can probably find some instructions online and maybe something on you tube.
Good Luck, Dave

The following users liked this post:
TyesonAnthony (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Instructions can be found on any accessory under fitment.Here's what you're looking for.
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....document/61591

The following users liked this post:
TyesonAnthony (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:25 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Yes, the install is easy. Installed and removed my guard on several ocassions for different reasons....no problem. Save your money for your next mod.

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-08-2016, 12:58 AM
TyesonAnthony
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton for all of the quick responses. Seems like an awesome community so far. I'll post a couple of pictures after I throw it on this weekend.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Should be easy. You'll need inch not metric tools. Read the instructions nice and slow - then read them again! Reward yourself with a favourite liquor afterwards.......

Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by TyesonAnthony
,,,,,,,Do you think this installation is easy or are there any other things I should know or extra steps I should take?

Thanks in adance.
Just a few years ago I was facing your exact dilemma. DO IT YOURSELF.

If you're installing a Lindby product, or other brand name, it will come with clear, very simple instructions. In my case I had to drill the threads out of the stock horn mount, (per Lindby's instructions), and from there it was a simple matter of installing / replacing a few easy to assess bolts. Including the drilling it's a 20 min job, even for a newbie like me.

FYI, drilling the horn mount threads, assuming you even have to do it, is no big deal alteration. It just turns the mount to a "through bolt" vs "threaded & tapped", and involves adding 1 nut and a washer to the mount. Buy some blue Loctite and put it on all the bolts you install.

If you should happen to get stuck (unlikely), or have a procedural question, take a happy snap and post it here. Lots of friendly help here to walk you through it.

You're gonna find that the DIY stuff you ease into as time goes on adds immensely to your satisfaction as an owner.

Oh ! After you finish this, wipe the fingerprints off everything, admire it, wax it, take a happy snap to show your friends, (all normal ); go buy yourself a shop manual for your ride. You've already paid for it with your first DIY, and it will continue to pay for itself many times over.

Last edited by HKMark23; 12-08-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 286 Posts

Do a search on this install.
Some of the bolts have caused co-members issues.
Easy to install.
Follow guidance on the bolts...do it right from the beginning first time...don't attempt then have to struggle a second time with the bolts.

+1 for crash guards.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Put a Harley-brand crash guard on my fiancé's sportster. It was an easy, bolt-on install. The OEM model went on in minutes, without any issue. I've heard of cheaper non-OEM bars that are close, but not a perfect match. Owners have to bend them, tweak them, enlarge holes, etc. Yours should come with instructions. Use a torque wrench and lok-tite on the threaded connections, and you'll have years of trouble-free service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Guard Install?