Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do replacing header pipes make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
not as much as you would think, In fact a lot of these short 2-2 full system are down on hp/tq in the meat of the power when compared to a stock header with good flowing slip on.
Right now I'm running the Straight Shot slipons with the quiet baffles, SE 1 air cleaner and a Power Vision. I've noticed a decent bump in low end performance and a deeper sound after adding the baffles.

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been amazed at the improved performance and smoothness of the Supermeg on my Glide. When the time comes I will fit a similar system on my Sporty.
2 to 1 seems to be the consensus for best performance. The reason I'm asking is that a buddy of mine has a 2012 48 with SE Tuner, SE air cleaner, and big radius pipes. His bike runs much smoother especially in the lower gears than mine, thought maybe that might have helped but in all reality, it's probably the tune.

Originally Posted by Russty__
Just do whatever looks best and sounds the best to you. Its a harley, if ya wanted performance Ducati would of gladly taken your money.
I've spent many days regretting trading in my CBR for that reason. Now I'm trying to convince a coworker to sell me his RC51

Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I have a dyno tune with my 2-into-1 as I did for the previous true duals, both done by the same chap at the same shop. No contest between the two! So no doubt the big radius will give their best with a good tune, but when compared with a 2-into-1.....

Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

I have a dyno tune with my 2-into-1 as I did for the previous true duals, both done by the same chap at the same shop. No contest between the two!
I'm sure that a full dyno tune will yield better results than an autotune or a canned tune. I'm not wanting to squeeze every last HP out of the bike, just want it to run a bit smoother. Last year I did adjust a canned tune with autotune and got better performance when I opened her up but didn't do much for just regular putting around town. Might need to look into a dyno run this summer.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 AM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

yep, a good tuned length 2-1 will reap rewards, and a lot of the time right in the powercurve where you most feel it. Especially on a big twin with a bit of comp where the gains are really pronounced.

It's all personal preference, but I do love the sound of a well built/thought out 2-2. Proper hot rodding stuff with a decent sized bumpstick.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

real world experience counts:
My Roadster with the Bobcat 79 HP
Customer's Roadster with V&H Grenades 69 HP
Both had same air cleaner and were tuned using same software and dyno

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHHMF
real world experience counts:
My Roadster with the Bobcat 79 HP
Customer's Roadster with V&H Grenades 69 HP
Both had same air cleaner and were tuned using same software and dyno
grenades are terrible for performance without some high rev loving cams. Sad thing is, i cant bring myself to remove them even thought i have a brand new road rage 2 short megaphone 2-1 system sitting in a box in the garage. I love them too much... noisy nonsense

Originally Posted by Russty__
Just do whatever looks best and sounds the best to you. Its a harley, if ya wanted performance Ducati would of gladly taken your money.
Winner winner chicken dinner

Last edited by cvaria; 01-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I'm sure that a full dyno tune will yield better results than an autotune or a canned tune. I'm not wanting to squeeze every last HP out of the bike, just want it to run a bit smoother. Last year I did adjust a canned tune with autotune and got better performance when I opened her up but didn't do much for just regular putting around town. Might need to look into a dyno run this summer.
1. Going to cost you $300-$400 for a dyno tune.
2. Only going to be a good tune IF you know an incredible tuner,..good luck with that.
3. You have a PV. Call Dynojet and tell them about your concern. You may not have the appropriate base map. Once you have the best map and you've auto tuned,...dynojet can help you tweak from there.....for free. Why spend $400 on a PV if you're not going to take advantage of it?
4. When I went from big radius to 2 -1, my lower gears and slower riding were greatly improved. I may have lost a step at WOT on big end,..but I don't care. This was not a computer issue,..it was an exhaust flow issue.

The dyno tune will only squeeze the $$$ out of your pockets...as far as I've learned.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
The dyno tune will only squeeze the $$$ out of your pockets...as far as I've learned.
I disagree - that's a far too simplistic view!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 925 Posts

I disagree - that's a far too simplistic view!
He has a simple set up. My point is he bought an expensive good tuner....you gotta use it. My bike runs awesome and I have a lessor tuner than he. If you want an HP sheet for bragging rights....get a dyno tune.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Russty__
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
grenades are terrible for performance without some high rev loving cams. Sad thing is, i cant bring myself to remove them even thought i have a brand new road rage 2 short megaphone 2-1 system sitting in a box in the garage. I love them too much... noisy nonsense
This is how i feel about my short shots despite everyone and their mom having them.

Quick Reply: Do replacing header pipes make a difference?