Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honing for new pistons: tips or tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:54 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default honing for new pistons: tips or tricks?

i'm reading and watching and reading and watch and reading up on replacing the pistons. looks like i need to hone the cylinders or have them honed for a 45 degree or as close as possible cross hatch.

any tips here? warnings? open to all knowledge, i know nothing here.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:00 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

General Info...
If someone is just doing a "glaze break", like for just re-ringing an "internal combustion engine", you could do that at "home" (depending on someone's home ), But not for "proper" Honing after boring (or even significant material removal honing (no boring))...You need to be "Equipped" (eg. Rigid Hone (manual or machine), Torque Plates (optional, but not for any performance work) etc.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:06 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Yes when installing new pistons and rings you need to hone otherwise the rings will never seat in.
Have an engine building shop do it rather than any old machine shop.
the most important part is seating in the new rings in the first hundred miles, the honeing acts like a file to wear down the rings so they seal properly, don't baby it when breaking in or you will have a lazy oil using motor for life.

cvaria (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
General Info...
If someone is just doing a "glaze break", like for just re-ringing an "internal combustion engine", you could do that at "home" (depending on someone's home ), But not for "proper" Honing after boring (or even significant material removal honing (no boring))...You need to be "Equipped" (eg. Rigid Hone (manual or machine), Torque Plates (optional, but not for any performance work) etc.
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Yes when installing new pistons and rings you need to hone otherwise the rings will never seat in.
the most important part is seating in the new rings in the first hundred miles, the honeing acts like a file to wear down the rings so they seal properly, don't baby it when breaking in or you will have a lazy oil using motor for life. [i'm going to beat the �� out of it during break in]
thank you

yes sir. i'm just trying to ensure that the new pistons go in smoothly, so glaze break. so definite yes on honing. so now its shop vs home.
  • if shop, dealer/engine shop like hotlap says, what to expect $ and time wise, realistic estimate of time so i can bargain.
  • if home, what to do? i see a flex hone ball arm thing, a big tri harm hone like i have for smaller stuff and use on the dyna brake lever. either of those good?

given my propensity to ham fist stuff, how easy is it to FUBAR a hone job and end up having to call Dan for 1275 cylinders?

Last edited by cvaria; 02-18-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
the most important part is seating in the new rings in the first hundred miles, the honeing acts like a file to wear down the rings so they seal properly, don't baby it when breaking in or you will have a lazy oil using motor for life.

Really? I learn so much more about engines from these experts than I ever have building Sportsters for 30 years.

If you happen to think there may be more than one way, here is the option to ponder, one you can do in your garage and end up with a better ring seal surface than any rigid hone will accomplish. Provided you clearance is in spec.

http://www.brushresearch.com/flex-ho...Tx_hoCQ9Lw_wcB

cvaria (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:06 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
thank you

yes sir. i'm just trying to ensure that the new pistons go in smoothly, so glaze break. so definite yes on honing. so now its shop vs home.
Bring me up to speed...

Are you getting used cylinders with used bores? Are you using your existing cylinders?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-18-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Bring me up to speed...

Are you getting used cylinders with used bores? Are you using your existing cylinders?

using the existing 1200 cylinders

Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

What we're getting at is WHY are you replacing the pistons? What problems are you trying to resolve? Have you checked the bore for size and taper?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
using the existing 1200 cylinders
Are you trying to buy STD pistons to put in your STD bore? or getting oversize pistons/rings

Old 02-18-2017, 09:21 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
Really? I learn so much more about engines from these experts than I ever have building Sportsters for 30 years.

If you happen to think there may be more than one way, here is the option to ponder, one you can do in your garage and end up with a better ring seal surface than any rigid hone will accomplish. Provided you clearance is in spec.

http://www.brushresearch.com/flex-ho...Tx_hoCQ9Lw_wcB
yes i saw this this earlier this morning while trying to understand:

Quick Reply: honing for new pistons: tips or tricks?