Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Chain Inspection Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
King Kobra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Chain Inspection Cover

I want to check my primary Chain tension as I feel the bike is not as smooth on low speeds as it should be. It tends to jerk when i let off the trottle in 1st gear a bit, and basically I have to feather the clutch to keep it smooth.I have the MOM (motorcyle Owners manual) for the inspection guidlines and adjustments but I do nothave aRepair Manual yet soI want to make sure I have the correct Torx fitting to takethe 2 screws off the inspection cover. Especially after I have heard ina previous post that someone stripped the head of the screw and broke a few bits. Of the Torx fittings I have in possesion that fit is the T-25 as the T-27 is too big however the T-25 does seem a bit loose and do not want to put pressure untilI know for sure. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Primary Chain Inspection Cover

My inspection cover has allen head screws not torx, are you talking about he derby cover? Please check again, mine is 06 1200L.
I like how you call the owner's manual MOM lol

Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
King Kobra
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 128auto

My inspection cover has allen head screws not torx, are you talking about he derby cover? Please check again, mine is 06 1200L.
I like how you call the owner's manual MOM lol
You know let me check again it may be Hex. I quickly looked down and just assumed and you know what happens there. Ohand the MOM comment was what the MSF classcalled it. I found it funny as well and couldn't wait to use that term again!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
King Kobra
Cruiser

Ok you are correct and thank you 128auto. Itseems to take a 5/32 hex bit. Pays to look closer. Ok now any tips or tricks of the trade for removing those things. I just attempted pretty good force, and those things are on Super tight! Any tricks or do I just need to give it more muscle. Just don't want to screw up here if you know whatI mean!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Those two bolts aren't very tight, you should be fine. Use allen socket instead of allen key, get yourself a spare inspection cover rubber gasket. You are set to go.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to have the MSM (motorcycle service manual) for my wife's bike handy. She has an '07 1200L, but I don't expect the torque specs would be any different. According to MSM, they are torqued to 40-60 inch-lbs. That's not very tight; perhaps the bolts have loc-tite on them.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
King Kobra
Cruiser

Thanks I got it off and now I am kinda stuck. I assume I really need to find and purchase theService Manual because MOM doesn't really give me enough info. It says the primary chain can be adjusted without removing themain primary cover by rotating the sprokets to find the tighest point, loosen locknut to 20-25 ft lbs set tension and then tighten locknut to 20-25 ft-lbs. Then re-Install cover.I might be crazy but I can't see anyway possible to do any of this through that small inspection cover hole. I meanI can barely see the sprockets and don't see anyway to turn them and sure don't see the locknut they reference to loosen for adjustment. I am not sure if it si because of the chrome primary cover or what but sure seems like this would invlove removing the entire primary cover to do it. Here is a pic although somewhat blurry because of the chrome and flash couldn't focus correctly. But you can see there is hardly enough room to get your fingers in there.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 PM
King Kobra
Cruiser

aha never mind I see now. The locknut and chain adjustment screw is not inside where the chain is. Doh! Oh well I talked myself through this one I guess. Thanks Guys

Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
texrex
5th Gear

Glad you found out where the adjustment actually is
Any time I'm removing one of these torx or allen head screws I always use an impact tool to break it loose, saves a lot of trouble stripping out the heads and the impact helps break it loose, especially if it has loctite on it.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time you break those inspection cover screws loose, I swear you think you'll twist their heads off. Mine were bathed in blue Loctite, as though they wanted me to give up and take it to the dealer (nope!)
The loctite I use for dirt bikes is low strength ThreeBond - very good stuff and less dangerous to fasteners than the blue 242.
Glad you got it!

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Inspection Cover