Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM
New Guy
Default Clutch adjustment 92 883

I have a 1992 883. I need to adjust the clutch and need to verify if this is correct. Loosen cable adjustment ( how much? ) take off clutch cover, loosen lock nut, turn adjustment screw in till i feel resistanceback out half turn and lock down? Bike in gear or out? Can i open cover without having gear oil spill out? Also what is the correct play in primary chain 1/8 to 1/4?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Rider
Default RE: Clutch adjustment 92 883

I have not adjusted a clutch since they had them stupid ball bearings that needed to be preened in to the mechanism. BUT , I do believe the bikeshould be upright , someone holding on to the forks to check oil level ...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: glennt7

I have a 1992 883. I need to adjust the clutch and need to verify if this is correct. Loosen cable adjustment ( how much? ) take off clutch cover, loosen lock nut, turn adjustment screw in till i feel resistanceback out half turn and lock down? Bike in gear or out? Can i open cover without having gear oil spill out? Also what is the correct play in primary chain 1/8 to 1/4?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: Clutch adjustment 92 883

Sittin on the kickstand will be fine for fluid check, and none should spill out. You should loosen the cable until it is SLACK, there should be no tension on it what-so-ever.
Primary chain adjustmentis 1/4"-3/8" Hot, or 3/8"- 1/2"Cold
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM

P

Tags
1200, 1992, 883, 92, adjus, adjust, adjustment, clutch, harley, hd, nightster, nut, remove, retaining, sportster